Which driving mirrors

Submitted: Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 23:13
ThreadID: 106602 Views:2552 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody,
I need to purchase a set of outside driving mirrors for my BT50 ute when towing a 5th wheeler. The ones which clip to the vehicles mirrors appeal to me because they are simple and quick to fit and remove. The Milenco extra wide seem an ideal product. I saw these at the Melbourne Caravan Show today.
There are some that say these are ok, while others seem to suggest vibration could be an issue when driving and the type that are supported with a side support arm are the better option.
Since I have no experience with either type your comments will help with my choice as to which to purchase

thanks
Bob.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 23:39

Friday, Mar 07, 2014 at 23:39
I have just put a set of Clear View mirrors on a BT 50, a bit expensive but do a good job.

On the last vehicle I got rid of the ones that clipped on the mirror and used the ones you describe as supported.
AnswerID: 527886

Follow Up By: Member - Rosss - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:32

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:32
With Clearviews available now there is no decision to make, all other accessory mirrors do not exist any more. A little bit expensive to buy but when you sell the vehicle take them off and resell, you will get nearly your money back every time.
FollowupID: 810342

Follow Up By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:46

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 09:46
Agree with comments about Clearviews - put them on a few months ago - stay on the vehicle, secure, very good view, no vibration - yes, expensive but worth it.
FollowupID: 810344

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 12:35

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 12:35
Another recommendation for Clearview. Had them on for over two years now and would not go any other way due to potential damage to door windows.

I have had the Aussie Truck mirrors and they were good also but the problem is there is insufficient room on these modern vehicle between the window glass and the wiper rubber thereby forcing the metal bracket onto the glass and scratching it with the potential to break the glass.

That is why I went with the Clearviews.

Expensive?, yes but cheaper than replacing a door window.

In a word ..Brilliant. And you don't need to remove them.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810348

Follow Up By: Nev (TAS) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 15:00

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 15:00
Another recommendation for Clearview mirrors. Fitted them 4 years ago and have never regretted it. Very well made and fit in place of existing electric mirrors. The mirrors are two part with the top bit set by the electric mirror controls and the bottom manually. Brilliant for covering blind spots. They fold in as well which is great in those disaster areas called shopping centre carparks. Price is exxy but IMHO still worth it. My only mistake was buying the chrome finish mirrors. I wish I had chosen the black ones now. The chrome ones give off some major reflections.
Best of luck with your decision.
Rgds
Nev
FollowupID: 810352

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:11

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:11
I tried all sorts of mirrors, the best I found were the ones that have a strap going to the bottom of the door and you tighten with a ratchet.... THAT IS UNTIL I PUT THE CLEAR VIEW REPLACEMENT MIRRORS ON MY BT50......
I found on rough roads everything else vibrates and even the strap type broke.

As the above people have stated the Clearview are the undisputed clear winners... The other advantage of the clearview is that the main mirrors are not convex, so you can judge distance when backing more easily. They can be adjusted using the electric controls and they have a convex mirror separate at the bottom so you still get a view of passing cars.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 810366

Follow Up By: Member - Big A - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:39

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:39
Putting Clearview mirrors on our BT50. I was not keen on putting on anything that could damage the duco, or that might vibrate so that left no other option IMHO. 'Ken exxy though! They look a bit big for the vehicle, like big ears, so will have to see if get used to the look.

I do like to see what is going on behind, so good mirrors are a priority for me. Mind you I have still backed coaches into objects though and you get a good look in them mirrors.

"A".
FollowupID: 810369

Follow Up By: Notso - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:58

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:58
They do take a bit of getting used to. The first time I reversed up the driveway into the garage it looked like a drunken sailor was driving!
FollowupID: 810373

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 20:04

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 20:04
Bob.

Most reports on the Milenco are all good hence I have ordered a set for my Ranger.
How bout we both do a report on them when we get them?

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527913

Reply By: steamfire01 - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:29

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:29
Hooks
The choice is fairly simple:
If you've got lots of money and you don't mind driving around looking faintly ridiculous with oversized mirrors then go for the Clearviews.
If you want good vibration-free mirrors at a realistic price, go for the Milenco.
I'm just back from from a 23,000 km 8 month lap with my van using a set of Milencos and during that trip I rarely took them off, including a trip up the Gibb.
Milencos don't need any additional support.
Happy travelling.

Keep safe, it's a jungle out there.
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 527951

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 20:49

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 20:49
1 word....CLEARVIEW.

Don't even think about wasting your money on the cheaper clip on, ratchet on, strap on crap.
AnswerID: 527996

Reply By: hooks - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:56

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 08:56
Thanks for all the comments,
From the replies its the Clear View type that has the most support. With all the vans etc. out there I thought there may have been a more thorough range of comments dealing with a wide range of products. I am leaning towards a set of Milenco extra wide for my first purchase. If these prove unsatisfactory then I would go for the Clear View as these are the fail safe option.

Bob.
AnswerID: 528016

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:03

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 18:03
Hi Bob

I recently went through the same thing looking at mirrors.

The ones with the strap weren't doing the job on the GNH with the trucks moving the mirror every time they went past. They were only a cheap set though.

On one of the caravan forums the Milenco and Brunsgaard had good write ups.

I went for the Brunsgaard only because I thought they looked a bit better finished.

I have only done 2000kms with them but several triple trailers went past with no problem. They seem to do the job ok.

Regards
Rowdy
FollowupID: 810487

Follow Up By: Member - G.T. - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 17:56

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 17:56
I have been using Milenco mirrors whilst travelling for the last 8 months. Make sure that the mounting brackets are tight on your existing mirrors and you will have no problems. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 811294

Sponsored Links