Toyota V8 Diesel 70series Idle issues.

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 18:35
ThreadID: 106612 Views:4047 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi can anyone help with a problem I have with my 2007 workmate ute. It has 140000ks on the clock and recently when starting in the morning (without the a/con engaged)it has a tendency to stop after a minute or two.
I have had my mechanic check out the computer readings twice as well as getting it done while on a Dyno. No issues found as far as the motors computer readings were concerned.
Electrical connections have been checked as far as can be. I have an extra fuel filter set up and that was isolated in the early stages of this problem showing up.
I am switching tanks at the moment to see if I can isolate the problem to one of those.
Yesterday it played up again, so I left it and my mechanic came out and put the analyzer on it, which did show variations (to which I'm not sure what they were exactly), and then for no reason it settled and ran normally.
I must add here there hasnt been any problems once the vehicle is on the road at the higher revs. It has only been at idle, and I can hear the motor slightly surging in that idle rev range before it stops. Some mornings no problem other mornings I can tell it will probably play up. PS all injectors are new(5000ks), they had that cold start rattle. The ute was an ex mine exploration vehicle(not coal) and did have evidence of water in the fuel when I purchased it at 100000ks.
Since done 40000 in a year or so with no other problems. Love the old girl.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Axle - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 19:31

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 19:31
G/Day mate,..Sounds like its pulling a bit of air into the system when cold,.. the fuel, is a lot heavier when cold first up,..it doesn't take much in the way of loose fitting, poor seal somewhere, for this to happen, just hope its not a pump problem.

Cheers Axle.

PS, When they get to twenty yrs old they earn the right to be called" old Girls"...LOL.
AnswerID: 527912

Follow Up By: Markfnq - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 20:42

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 20:42
Thxs Axle.
Yea we have been thinking along those lines as well.
At the moment I have it parked on a small rise in our paddock, with the motor facing up hill, ready for an early morning start up.
The theory being if there is anything loose up front and it is pulling in air, it will play up pretty badly.
The pump has been mentioned by a diesel mechanic. There is a valve or a seal that could play up. It's my big concern, but given that at normal road speeds there hasn't been a problem with pulling power and driveability hopefully it's ok.
Thxs again Axle.
FollowupID: 810363

Reply By: Member - fawkesp - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:16

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 21:16
Had the same problem with my 200 (basically same engine) around the 6,000km mark - started instantly but then would not idle and die.
It would then take at least 5 or 210 minutes to start it up again. Despite a couple of visits to the dealer, nothing could be found.
Problem righted itself after a couple of fuel tank refills, all I could think of was a load of dirty fuel we had possibly picked up in western Queensland.
Problem has not reappeared, and I now carry a couple of fuel filters, just in case.

Peter.
AnswerID: 527922

Follow Up By: Markfnq - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 00:01

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 00:01
Thxs Peter,
I'm sure my fuel is good. Only used BP fuel. Most driving has been up and down Qld coastline and tend to get the fuel from the bigger dealers and from the truck bowsers.
Filters have been replaced and weren't dirty.
But thxs again Peter. The pickup in the tanks may be a problem or the valve which controls the switching between the tanks.
Who knows hopefully I get an answer soon and I can share it with everyone on here.
Cheers Mark.
FollowupID: 810379

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 22:23

Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 22:23
I'm no guru but could it be a vacuum leak to the intake or do these newer rigs no longer rely on that kind of thing?
Cheers.
AnswerID: 527926

Follow Up By: Markfnq - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 00:03

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 00:03
Hi Nutta,
Not sure being a Diesel I don't think a vacuum system is involved, but I could be wrong. Ever learning.
Cheers.
FollowupID: 810380

Follow Up By: Nutta - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:17

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:17
You're right too, I forgot diesels don't have vacuum, thats why they need the special alternator.
FollowupID: 810401

Follow Up By: Markfnq - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:31

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:31
Thxs Nutta,
Yea it stopped again after start up this morning. I've changed the battery today as it was getting a bit slow. Battery place said it was operating at about 60% capacity. I've kept it as a spare or something. So definetly eliminated the power source so to speak.
Thinking it may have some sort of issue with air pulling in somewhere overnite but in the high pressure section which could involve the pump.
Hoping not the pump.
Thxs again for your input.
Cheers Mark.
FollowupID: 810498

Reply By: Member - Colin E - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 14:22

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 14:22
I have a HZJ105 had simalar problem but started the same tome as my alternator died
But once i put the new alternator it start after a bit of cranking but would die but once it got going it was fine till o went to start the next morning so i disregarded fuel.
Several days later I decided to check the fuel oe squeeze clamp onto original fuel filter was not tight so I put on a worm drive clamp also noticed a couple of air bubbles in glass bowl of extra ryco fuel filter so I tightened bolt on bottom.
No more problems an easy fix by ensuring lines were tight and not letting air in
Colin
AnswerID: 528034

Follow Up By: Markfnq - Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:22

Monday, Mar 10, 2014 at 20:22
Thxs Colin,
Have done all of that. Isolated the pre filter checked and rechecked hoses. Original filter has been removed cleaned etc etc.
being a V8 with the common rail set up the pressures after the filter get pretty high. I'm worried it may be the fuel pump which is in the V of the motor and could be expensive.
Anyway thxs for your input Colin. Got a few people trying to get some experts onto it so will let everyone know when I get an answer.
Cheers Mark.
FollowupID: 810495

Sponsored Links