Hilux dash electrical switches

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 08, 2014 at 23:57
ThreadID: 106615 Views:3318 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have recently put some homemade upgrades on my 95 Hilux (spotties and fog lights). The spotlights are wired into the high beam circuit so they come on together but I need to have another switch to be able to completely turn them off as well and the fog lights obviously need a switch too. I would like to use the little spaces on the dash that are meant for switches but just aren't used in my model (just to the right of the steering wheel), so I punched out the little covers and pulled the wires throughout to there. I went into Jaycar to pick up some switches but they didn't have anything that would fit! Can anyone tell me where to buy switches that will exactly fit these slots on my Hilux dash?

Also, is it fine to be using just a switch with the spotlights? Some people say I need to use a relay because they use more current but I don't really know how I would wire that up or if it is necessary, and what would go wrong if I don't use one? They have a fuse anyway.

Cheers,
Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 00:57

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 00:57
britax 58027-01
AnswerID: 527938

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:36

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 09:36
The wreckers have all the switches you will need.
Find your model or close to it and take them from there.
Some later models may have the switch you want with a little picture on it too.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 810390

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 10:37

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 10:37
none of the electronic suppliers will have anything that fits properly.

The boating supplers like bias and whitworths have something that is close but no cigar....they can be made to fit..reasonably well with a shave from a sharp stanley knife.

What you realy want are "CARLING" switches....carling make a lot of stuff.....but the switches you need are commonly known as "carling swithes" in the auto electrical business.

Now there comes a couple of problems.....

There is a bewildering array of actator, contact and light arrangements, even in the model you need.....can take some wading about to figure it out....its good and bad.
If you can figure it out and you can find a suppler that stocks full range AND will sell to you...you can get exactly what you want right off the shelf

The second issue is price and availablity....there are people out there that will charge you $25+ for a single carling switch......I know with my knoweledge and some fast talking I can get them for arround $8 to 10.

There are two main distributers in Australia for carling....One Source autoelectrics is the easiest to deal with...if you can convince them you are trade.

There are some sellers on line that will sell you switches....some offer custom engraved....if you have access to full range, there is no need for anything custom, unless you want your name on it or something realy obscure...just about anything you need is off the shelf printed on the actuator.

Some $wd shops and some autoelectricians carry carling switches.......ARB and TJM both sell carling switches with ther name branded on them...and they will charge you well for the privaledge.

So there you go.

OH..even the carling switches don't fit perfectly...but they are very close.

cheers
AnswerID: 527955

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:07

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:07
Sam,

If you don't use a relay/s to supply those 2 sets of lights, then you run the risk of stuffing up the headlight/indicator switch contacts. Bit like the shampoo ad: "......it will happen". Without a relay all the load(of the lights) will be going through the switch on the column, and the constant switching from high to low etc will stuff the contacts.

New Era are a good double relay, with fuses easily accessible.

Seeing it's a Hilux will probably have negative return switching which can be a can of worms to wire everything correctly. Take it to an auto sparky and get it done properly. The money it costs will be about the same as a new combination h'light/flasher/wiper stalk!!!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 527961

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:48

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 11:48
Re switches Sam. Don't know about Hilux, but pop-outs on Landcruiser 79 series are 34.5 x 20 mm, and Narva part no.630228 fits them perfectly. This a rocker switch,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 810405

Reply By: peteC - Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 17:39

Sunday, Mar 09, 2014 at 17:39
Sam for any hilux questions try newhilux.net there is thousands of Aussie hilux owners who help each other out
AnswerID: 527982

Sponsored Links