Sat phone as a modem.

Hi.
I have an older model Iridium sat phone 9505A, I only use this when necessary and with my SIM from my mobile. Can I use this as a modem for my lap top if so what do I need to do. Is anyone else doing this?
Any help appreciated.

Joe.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:28

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:28
Let me start by saying I'm not sure, but what I do know is that sat phones tethered as modems are very slow internet wise. I would imagine the cost when used how you propose using it would be high because the call costs when using mobile sims in sat phones are very high. To get best results with satelite internet you need a dish of some sort.
AnswerID: 528082

Follow Up By: Joe G2 - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:46

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 08:46
Thanks Mike for the reply, probably should have been more accurate in my question. Just for emails only and cost is not so important as this is to keep track of our business so we can have a few days away every now and again.

Joe.
FollowupID: 810522

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:18

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:18
I use an Isatphone Pro for that. It's prepaid and all the emails in are free so I get my business email diverted to it. Emails out are about 50c each from memory. The phone cost me $700 brand new and the recharge was around $50.
FollowupID: 810525

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:30

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 09:30
Interesting Mike. I may see if I can get the home email program to check all incoming and forward those to me with certain words etc in the subject. That would save the kids a dollar or two. I want to do it from home only so that a copy of the email is retained.

Interesting.

Phil
FollowupID: 810528

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:36

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:36
Phil, That would only work if you left your computer on with the email program running and it didn't fall asleep on you. Really it has to be done at the mail server level and then I don't think you can give it a rule to check the subject. A better idea would be to get the kids to create a group and put you home email and isatphone email addresses in it then send the mail to the group. The isatphone message would be free...assuming you are using one of course.
FollowupID: 810530

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:45

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:45
Mike/Phil,
The email facility is limited to 160 characters.That is unless things changed with the last firmware update.
Mike.
FollowupID: 810538

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:14

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:14
Both are right. Can't filter at the server and the size is a pain. I think I will give it a miss. We never leave the computers on so the home forwarding won't work. It was just an idle thought and not really needed anyway.

Must remind the kids to keep it small and to the point. Like "Ring me". That'l do.

Nice camp photo at the Lake Michael.

Phil

FollowupID: 810540

Reply By: luxtourer - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:22

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:22
Hi Joe
You can already send short emails from your 9505A by using the SMS service. Just put the email address first in the message, then a space, then the rest of the message - normal SMS character limits apply. If you had an Iridium number, then people could also send emails to you, but as you're using a mobile SIM that may not work. You'd probably have to try it to see what happens, eg send an email from your sat phone, and see if the receiver gets it, and can reply.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 528092

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:33

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:33
Hi Joe i have investigated it a bit the internet speed is comparable to dial up, you need data enabled which would mean (i think) to go to a designated sim card with a satellite plan. Had a bit of a play around with setting it up as a modem was a PITA so didn't bother in the end. At the moment rely on Mod phone and 3G modem and dip in and out of reception as needed. Will go with a designated sat set up in the future as have plans for more remote travel hope this helps.
AnswerID: 528096

Reply By: tiffanymatthew - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:38

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 12:38
Hi Joe,

The issue with using an Iridium device for internet access is charges are based on time used not MB downloaded. This is an issue due to the fact the data speed is 2.4 kbps (this means if you loaded google.com without the image it will take up to 5 minutes).

The best handset solution on the market is the Thuraya product. It offers a data speed up to 60KPBS and is billed per MB (or in 10kb packets). The cost of using Thuraya with Pivotel is pretty cheap for satellite data at $5 per MB.

Thuraya also have a XT with a wireless hotspot which makes connecting your laptop or tablet to a satellite device easy and pain free.

I have setup both a 9555 Iridium and a Thuraya XT on a laptop as a dial up modem and found this to be a painful experience. I have also use the hotspot and found that a dream (had it setup with 2 minutes).

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you have about setting things up.

Matt
AnswerID: 528104

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:01

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 19:01
Matt,

I heard that the Thuraya satellite is over Malaysia somewhere and so the reception is great in the North West but so so down in the South East. Do you have any experience with that? For example, if you were in the Vic High country would you get a fix?

Cheers
FollowupID: 810557

Follow Up By: DiscoTourer - Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:37

Tuesday, Mar 11, 2014 at 20:37
I use a satsleeve from thuraya and worked perfectly fine in Tasmania, and also around Isrealite Bay. Full signal strength on each occasion.

Brett....
FollowupID: 810572

Sponsored Links