Ruddal River National Park

We are planning a trip from Perth at the end of May. We have heard rumours about problems with fuel drops but also heard that there is an Aboriginal Community (Jigalong?) in the area with diesel available. Does anyone have recent info and comments / advice?

We then plan to head further north through Telfer (is fuel available here?) and on to Kunannurra / Darwin.

We would appreciate any comments.

Regards

Bernie Renwick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:22

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 18:22
G'day Bernie

I am responding to you post purely out of curiosity regarding "rumours about fuel drops" if you don't mind me asking ~ fuel drops to where?

The Parnngurr Community ( Cotton Creek) sell Diesel fuel, but they might be too far East of your planned travel area.

Yes the Jigalong community does sell diesel, but like all remote region communities they are not always fully stocked and at times they are also waiting for re-supply. Jigalong is well outside of the Rudall River National Park, I'm not saying a refuel at Jigalong isn't worth the effort, but if you are planning a fairly serious trip into the western desert region you might need to re think your vehicles on board fuel carrying capabilities, Telfer is a closed mining settlement and unless you know someone in the place (town/settlement/mine) you will be turned away, there is no retail to or for the travelling public.

These phone contact numbers might help :

Jigalong Community Inc. (08) 9175 7565
Capricorn Roadhouse. (08) 9175 1535
Parnngurr Community Inc. (08) 9176 9057
Newman Police. (08) 9175 4000
Nullagine Police. (08) 9176 3200
Marble Bar Police. (08) 9176 1005

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 528265

Follow Up By: Julebern - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:30

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 19:30
Thanks for the response Josef.

We would prefer to top up our fuel after travelling from Perth. And had heard that the Capricornia roadhouse near Newman used to offer fuel drops out near Ruddal River NP but haven't done so for a while.

We are just seeking info to see what fuel is available so that we can plan within our own on board supply.

FollowupID: 810760

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 21:38

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 21:38
Capricorn Roadhouse deliver to Well 23 on the Canning. This is some 130 km of very corrugated road passed Parnngurr (Cotton Creek) where fuel is available. Fuel is also the same price at both.

The turn north through Karlamilyi (Rudall) is only 50 km from Parnngurr so if desperate, I would fill up there and then head north. If you are headed east and up the WAPET, fill at Punmu. Good store and fuel is actually cheaper. If you are going north, your next fuel stop after Parnngurr is Marbel Bar at the top of the Rippon Hills Road.

Why you would want to detour down to Jig is beyond me. Come in from Newman on the Marble Bar Road and head east on the Talawana towards Balfour and to Rudall That way as it's only 360. Do the extra 50km to Parnngurr and top off there if need be. Capricorn fuel dump is too far out of your way. See link below.

Rudall River Info Link

Cheers Mick

This Video will outline some of the risks with the Capricorn Fuel dump

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528281

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 22:29

Thursday, Mar 13, 2014 at 22:29
G'day Bernie ~ Mick

Nice movies Mick, the range lands out along the Talawana through Balfour Downs and beyond is a tad greener since your movie, my images simply can't compete with movies, so I won't even try.

Bernie, the Capricorn Roadhouse has what I call a casual relationship with fuel resupplies, their core business is accommodating the mining and heavy haulage industries, their fuel prices are well above even the high prices we have to pay for fuel in Newman.

The remote region fuel deliveries even when the Cappy is actually doing the deliveries should never be relied on, as adverse weather and delivery truck breakdowns are common along with the demand factor for fuel quantities to the well 23 drop off point ~ not to mention the theft of fuel from what might be your paid for drum of fuel.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 810774

Reply By: Member - Lewis Lee (WA) - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:02

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:02
Hello Julebern
We travelled Rudall River in 2010, fuelled up at Marble Bar as we went in that way. We had 70l in the fuel tank, and carted an extra 100l. Got back to Newman (via Talawana Track) with 80l to spare. You can get fuel at Cotton Creek mind you, you pay for the convenience and from memory we rang in advance to see if they would have some available around the time we may need it. As far as we know fuel is not available at Telfer. Carrowine Gorge is worth a stop.
Hope this helps
Lewis
AnswerID: 528414

Follow Up By: Julebern - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:56

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 21:56
Thanks Josef, Mick and Lewis,

We have heard that fuel is available at Parngurr Community?
My travelling companion uses unleaded and that may be a bigger problem. Any comments ?

I have a range of about 1100k so that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I will make a few calls to the numbers that Josef gave and let you know the results in another follow up.

Thanks All

Bernie
FollowupID: 810951

Sponsored Links