Road conditions in NE South Australia

Submitted: Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 16:27
ThreadID: 106708 Views:1749 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip in May to the Flinders Ranges by way of Birdsville or Innaminka or Cameron Corner (depending on which roads may be open).
I have a 2004 Patrol with 3lt diesel towing an Aussie Swag camper (heavy duty off road, 1.6tonnes). Thought we might use one or more of the following roads.Birdsville track (either inside or outside), Strezlecki track (between Innaminka & Arkaroola), Walkers Crossing Track (Birdsville to to Innaminca).
Are there any of these roads that we should NOT take a trailer on & would we need a sand flag on any of these roads. This is an area where neither my partner nor I have ever travelled previously & any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 16:35

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 16:35
Hi Snoopy,

You will be fine on any of those roads/tracks UNLESS there has been rain and the road is closed. No need for a sandflag, although going west from Camerons Corner a flag is an extra precaution when going over the numerous dunes (but its a made road and not just single track like the Simpson or Canning SR).

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528324

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 18:50

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 18:50
Ditto - you have the ideal rig for those roads - rain aside, the grader crews will probably have been out there in the far north of SA, pre tourist season - as for the Flinders - once again, rain aside, the roads associated with the whole length of the Flinders are usually excellent or better for the tourist influx. Given good weather, your trip should be an unforgettable treat !
AnswerID: 528333

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 18:58

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 18:58
Snoopy,
As stated all good depending on current road reports.
Late last year I put the sand flag up when travelling Walkers crossing as there was a couple of motor cycle groups travelling at the same time.
A couple of years ago the road from Mt Hopeless to Arkaroola was pretty slow going towing the Jayco.
Fantastic country, Enjoy.
Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 528336

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 19:33

Friday, Mar 14, 2014 at 19:33
As above, those roads are fine for an Aussie Swag camper. Also the Cordillo Downs road is OK when dry!
AnswerID: 528339

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 02:24

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 02:24
Snoopy,

Current flood in the Diamantina will probably keep the Inside Track closed in May.

Outside track should be good,

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528364

Reply By: allein m - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:52

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:52
we just got a rain again here in Broken Hill and it is moving west so you will need to do as suggested just before your trip check road conditions
South Australian Outback Roads
St Pats race day today in Broken Hill and we just got one huge down pore and it is going to be a bit muddy at the races
AnswerID: 528393

Follow Up By: allein m - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:54

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 13:54
link to SA road conditions

link
FollowupID: 810916

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 18:06

Saturday, Mar 15, 2014 at 18:06
Birdsville track is being resheeted it's ok but heavy traffic is taking its toll on parts already done. Certainly those driving on the closed road isn't helping. But they are at Mulka and on their way to Mungerannie so that's over 12 months and they are under halfway. So it's getting better but it is what it is at least they have had some dry conditions to get it done. I have my doubts that the current flood waters will get too far as there is allot of very dry country it has to go through, there has been no on ground rain in the lower Diamantina. But good luck if it does the country could do with a drink. The creek has had run in it every year for the last 7 years it just doesn't always get to the Lake and small flows dry very quickly.
AnswerID: 528408

Reply By: Sigmund - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:23

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 11:23
Just beware of the Balcanoona - Mt Hopeless Rd at the northern junction with the Strez. After rain the authorities appear to be a bit too keen to declare it open to 4WD. You will get another but likely conservative view from the Innamincka Trading Post.

Just 5mm of rain in that country can close the roads so be prepared to be flexible with your route.
AnswerID: 528464

Follow Up By: Member - snoopy1 - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 19:53

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 19:53
Thanks Sigmund, I am looking at various options in regard to access to Flinders Ranges from Toowoomba for just that reason (rain). We have friends going to Birdsville at that time & we are going with them to Birdsville & then going to head south. I was just thinking that there was not much point going to Birdsville if we could not easily get to the Flinders.
Lester
FollowupID: 811050

Sponsored Links