Hose and cable lenghths

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:45
ThreadID: 106739 Views:1873 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Perhaps a silly question, but what length of pipe and cable have you found to suit most situations in caravan parks for the electrical, water and grey water pipes/cables.

5,10,15.or 20 plus meters.

I guess there will be numerous suggestions out there but I am looking for the size that would cover most situations that you are confronted with.

thanks
Bob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Villatranquilla - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:22

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 12:22
we have 2 X 5 metre lengths of sullage hose sometimes have needed both (its grey ribbed but if buying again I'd get the one that is smooth inside not ribbed) and we have a 15 mt and 20 mt power lead and at times have needed both. We also have a retractable lead that gets used if we need power to run the engel in the back of the ute.
AnswerID: 528470

Reply By: Rangiephil - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 15:44

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 15:44
IMHO, you definitely should get at least a 20M power lead.

It is technically illegal to join 2 but in more practical terms I had 2 and for some reason, they would only work in a certain combination. One of the plugs had a faulty contact or was too thin or something which I never discovered.

I bought a 20 metre and no probs. Justy loosely loop it iunder the van if too long, with emphasis on "loosely" say in a 2 metre diameter at least.
Since I have a camper trailer I have no sullage pipe just a bucket down a drain.

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 528485

Reply By: new boy - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 15:52

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 15:52
Hi Bob
I started with 10 mtrs of water hose too short so brought another 10 mtrs some how (memory fade) they ended up in 3 different lengths but I use hose link fitting so can still end up with 20 mtrs or just a short piece as required.
Sullage hose is 5 mtrs with 2 x 1 mtr vacuum cleaner hoses with a short piece of the ali tube from the vacuum cleaner jammed in the main 5mt and the others just slide over the top so giving me 7 metres 90% of the time enough.The long one is stored in a poly pipe cable tied and screwed to the chassis and the 2 short pieces go inside the chassis rail
Electie cord 1 x 30 1x 10 never had to join
AnswerID: 528486

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 18:09

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 18:09
Hi
First
The extension lead" SHALL BE IN ONE PIECE' As a requirement of the electrical Standrds
The MAx length for an "approved" 15A light duty lead is 25M
As long as you are not running things like air cons, that should meet just about ALL situations

You, would be wasting your money on anything under 15meters and it "SHOULD not be less than 10meters" again under the Standards

PeterQ
AnswerID: 528494

Reply By: Erad - Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 21:38

Sunday, Mar 16, 2014 at 21:38
When my caravan was new, I bought a food grade water hose (Mrs is fussy about taste for her tea!) The hose was 20 m long. That is too long for most applications, so I cut it in 8 m and 12 m lengths. That way, if you are close to a tap outlet, use the short hose (most of the time). Also, I have a 1/2" screw fitting on one hose and a 3/4" screw fitting on the other, so I can fit most taps. When I need more than 12 m, I can join the 2 hoses together to come back to 20 m length.

Regarding the sullage hose, they are messy things. I have a 32 mm smooth bore nylex hose. This fits neatly onto the spigot on the caravan drain hose. For transport, I have fitted a 50 mm poly pipe through the cutouts in the chassis, and feed the 32 mm drain hose into the 50 mm poly pipe. The poly pipe exits at the other end of the van, and if I am using a bucket, I simply put the bucket under the end of the hose. The poly pipe is only a carrier and is not used as a drain pipe. If I am plumbing direct into a drain, I can easily pull the 32 mm hose out and lay it on the ground. Either way, it is a lot cleaner to store the hose inside the poly pipe and pull it out as required. Again, it is a 20 m length of hose, cut into 8 m and 12 m lengths. I carry the longer length wrapped up inside the caravan boot, and it is rarely used.

Regarding the electrical leads, I have a 15 m and a 25 m lead (plus a few others if needed). The 15 m lead is OK for 95% of locations. Handling a 25 m 15Amp lead is quite a business.

I also have a TV aeriel lead about 12 m long. This is for the few locations where the caravan park has a central aeriel and you can use that.
AnswerID: 528514

Reply By: hooks - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:00

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:00
Thanks everyone, some excellent suggestions.

Bob
AnswerID: 528583

Sponsored Links