conversion for troopy and water tank made out of alkathene

Submitted: Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 17:36
ThreadID: 10674 Views:4940 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys. Have bought a Land Cruiser Troopy and looking to convert it into a mini campervan. Basically, looking to see if anyone has had a pop top put on a troopy and were you happy with the job? If so, where did you have it done please?
I am also wondering if you can get water tanks for vehicles made out of alkathene (same material as normal water tanks made of) rather than stainless steel - mainly cost factor. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 19:32

Friday, Feb 20, 2004 at 19:32
Hi Pottsy, I have a troopy which I have converted with pop-up roof. Pics of it on my web site at: www.havewheelswilltravel.iinet.net.au As for water tanks depending on size & shape there are many polyeurethane tanks made for the caravan industry so try any of their outlets. For any specs on the pop-up send me an email & I'll give you the info. Address on my URL. Cheers. Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 47466

Reply By: V8troopie - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 00:39

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 00:39
regarding troopie water tanks. I made two hollow full length running boards, they hold 20 litres of water each. Each has a tiny tap as well as a pump that plumbs to an outlet at the rear, where I fit a tailgate annexe. Use them for washing up water, drinking water is carried in 20l plastic jerry cans.
I would not be happy with a plastic water tank underneath unless it has a very good metal bash plate.
But, if you are thinking of fitting the water tank inside, then why not just use one of those ready made black plastic ones for caravans. They come in many shapes and sizes.
Klaus
AnswerID: 47490

Reply By: Diesel1 - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:14

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 10:14
G'day Pottsy,

Re: water tanks. Have a look at www.camec.com.au/catalogue.htm and select section 35 - plumbing equipment. They have a good range of tanks for the RV market.

Diesel1
AnswerID: 47501

Reply By: Troopie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:06

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:06
G'day Pottsy
Have just been through this process - but ended up with a different outcome. I had a Troopie (2000 model) which I was considering converting - but having the roof only converted to a pop-top costs about $4-6k depending on where you go. Choices I came across are: Frontline (NSW); Safari (SA); Dove Campers (WA - cheapest); Aurora RV Conversions (VIC - best contender for my money - plus more local to me); Trakka (NSW, most expensive by far). There were also a few others but mostly smaller.

After getting up off the floor at the cost of the roof only conversions - I went looking at second hand - fully converted Troopies. Cutting a long story short - I bought an ex-rental converted Troopie a couple of weeks back (2001 Model). It was originally converted by Frontline Conversions. I am yet to sell my old one - but at this stage it looks like I should break even or possibly make a small profit on the change-over. The reason is - I got a good deal on the Camper. My advice - look long and hard if you happen to end up considering an ex-rental. Some are stuffed - but some are in very good condition.

Cheers and Good Luck
AnswerID: 47702

Sponsored Links