New Jayco Outback model suspension

Submitted: Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:58
ThreadID: 106756 Views:4031 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

I have recently purchased a new Jayco Starcraft Outback unit, pick it up in June.

Just received this e-mail regards their standard suspension on all Outback models, I believe.

For information only: New Jayco Suspension

Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mazdave - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:09

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 12:09
I am interested in this topic and how "off road" are the new Jayco Outbacks. From Research previous model Outbacks were basically just a good dirt road van at best. I spoke to the Local Jayco dealer this weekend and he advised the new suspension on the Outback model was much tougher and now their Warranty will cover the van anywhere you can take your tow vehicle (his words).
Interesting to hear Jayco owners comments.

AnswerID: 528534

Follow Up By: Member - Sanantone - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 15:07

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 15:07
This is in the 2014 brochure for Jayco caravans, probably in all of them, as they have always had similar for many years.

"Opting for a Jayco Outback version is not a licence to bush bash,
mind you. But its extra strength and enhanced specifications will free
you to travel the country’s unsealed roads safely and arrive relaxed.
Even so, always take extra care and reduce your speed, especially
when driving in unfamiliar territory. If in doubt, do what the 4WD
experts do—use your Jayco as a base station and head into rougher
terrain without anything in tow."

I never thought it would take me up goat tracks, I wouldn't take it anywhere seriously off road, but I probably wouldn't take any caravan to those type of areas.

You probably know as well as I, that Jayco aren't the best units going around, but for me, I felt comfortable with Jayco for what they offer & the back up support they give, some of the others were down right scary in that area.
Tony
"For the Rover's life has pleasures, that the townsfolk will never know" - sort of from Banjo Paterson

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 811104

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 23:54

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 23:54
I towed a Jayco Outback all around Australia in 2012. Did the GRR, 80% of the little side tracks, up to Kalumburu, then up to Mitchell Falls camp grounds, Paraburoo to Mt, Augustus, ended up in Meekatharra and finally across from Laverton to Ayres Rock. Then we went for a run, going to Finke and down the Oodnadatta track. The only problem I had was a bit of dust inside, busted two shockies and tightened up about 6 screws. I don't think it really matters what you have, if you drive to road conditions and think about what your doing before it's too late, it will be good.

I have had older more cashed up people say to me "How is the little Junko going" as he stands beside his $120,000 off-road van. The first thing I notice is mine is covered with bull dust and crap, his don't even have any bug guts on it. Mine only had springs and an axle.

Can't wait to do it again.
FollowupID: 811143

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:01

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 13:01
I traveled great last year on the Oodnadatta with mine, and not going exactly slow. This video only shows dirt roads. I know there are worse roads, but many seem to use this road as an example.
AnswerID: 528537

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 15:12

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 15:12
I don't understand why trailers are fitted with independent suspension.

Soft, tough, reliable and cheap can all be easily achieved with conventional leaves, axles and shocks.
Me thinks its a fashion thing.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 528548

Follow Up By: 08crd - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 15:30

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 15:30
I agree, the kiss principle seems best to me.
FollowupID: 811105

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 16:34

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 16:34
I agree. My money say it's an easy way for them to up their bottom line by an amount somewhat in excess of the actual cost.
FollowupID: 811110

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 17:24

Monday, Mar 17, 2014 at 17:24
Sheep follow one another and so do car companies and caravan manufacturers.
The sheep are called Jones I believe.
Unfortunately, for some to follow means the slaughter house or at least the demise of a few.

Good engineering principles are not always used in some designs, re the cost/benefit alluded to by Rosco.

I haven't seen the new Jayco suspension, but it couldn't be worse than some of their previous attempts at independent systems. Maybe it is better.

This one might actually absorb road conditions too.
FollowupID: 811115

Sponsored Links