Holland Track

Hi All, Iam looking at driving the Holland Track with a couple of other vehicles. We plan on travelling from Coolgardie to Hyden, can anyone tell me the condition of the Track.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 14:23

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 14:23
Hi Greg

Looks like no one has been down the Holland in recent times. When I went a couple years ago it was an easy track which I never engaged 4x4. If it is dry like now there are a couple of sandy corners that may need 4x4 if you where travelling slow. Otherwise it is a hard easy track.

If it rains then another story as with so much outback there are great sections that will turn to mud and you can see the evidence of people being stuck there for what might have been days.

You will enjoy the trip - take it slow - stop and look at all the scenic spots. Best get the Holland track book from the Ex-Oz shop as this gives all the best details and history of the track.

Good luck

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528604

Follow Up By: Mike S2 - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 18:47

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 18:47
Hi Greg,ring the Coolgardie shire,one of the rangers is always up to date with the hollands condition,enjoy the trip,regs,Mike
FollowupID: 811203

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:47

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:47
I endorse Serendipity's recommendation to get the booklet Explore the Holland Track as we found it the best resource available for our trip through the area.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811235

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:48

Tuesday, Mar 18, 2014 at 23:48
Oh dear - the link has just opened fully and shows it as "Not Available".
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 811236

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 01:23

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 01:23
Hi Greg,

It is somewhat disappointing, the lack of information you have received for your enquiry........ especially from W.A. members.

The T.L.C.C. - Toyota Landcruiser Club of W.A. - are the official caretakers of the Holland Track. Contact them here for current information and they appreciate feedback on track conditions..... as it helps them to plan what work needs to be carried out to maintain access.

Western 4wheel Driver has a very good publication on the Holland track, Uncle Nick has most of the directions correct now and the background historical information is sound.

What you need to keep in mind and you have not indicated it in your OP,
What vehicles are travelling the track?
What are they towing?
This WILL have a significant effect on the trip.

Horror stories are on the web of people who towed full size caravans down the track, horror stories of the damage that ensued and the repair cost involved.

One thing to keep in mind, WHEN the weather turns nasty .... you do not want to be anywhere near there!!

No, we have not been along the track recently (sadly)
Enjoy your trip.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 528647

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 16:05

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 16:05
Hi Greg it's been a while since I did the track and there was water lying in places at the time, which I got stuck in. (Dumb move by me by not being attentive).

Leaving Coolgardie do a side trip into Cave Hill great spot for a walk and have lunch. The Holland Track is only a short step away.
Most of the iconic spots are sign posted Thursday Rock being one of my favourites.

There is ample camping spots along the way and the gimlet trees look fantastic at sun rise and sunset. Great scenery abounds.

Don't get carried away when you hit a straight stretch as it won't last long and drive to the conditions.
The track still rates as one of my favourites. Enjoy it.

Cheers

Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 528680

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 17:03

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 17:03
should be dry to very dry ATM. ive been down the track when it had a fair bit of water and the main holes hold water for a fair while

main thing is generally to go through the middle of them dont try to edge to the side- thats when trouble starts. the main holes despite being nasty looking are firm and i didnt require 4wd or momentum for any of them

the north part of the track including the cave hill woodlines are the best part with its forrests of salmn. blackbutts and gimlets , alot of the track south is yellow sandplain
AnswerID: 528685

Reply By: Nathan D1 - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 23:05

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 23:05
Hi Greg,

I did the Holland Track from Hyden to Cave Hill about 2 weeks ago.

There was still a small amount of water hanging around, but only in the deep mud holes.

We completed the trip with a Patrol and Prado, both towing 800kg camper trailers, with no problems at all, apart from getting stuck in one bog hole, but it was easily avoidable.

Other than that, there were no problems, track is in great condition.

Have fun and good luck,

Cheers,

Nathan.
AnswerID: 528760

Sponsored Links