Port Augusta - Birdsville

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 14:37
ThreadID: 106795 Views:1830 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering how many days it would take to travel from Port Augusta to Marree and then up the track to Birdsville?

I've driven from Port Augusta to Marree before, but never been up the track. I'll be in a Navara with no trailer or van and I like rolling along at 80 - 90.

I'm hoping I can get from Marree to Birdsville in 3 days.

I'm looking at going early April.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Turbo 1 - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 15:13

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 15:13
Maree to Birsville is an easy day's drive or take as long as you want. Allow about 8 hours to do it safely.
AnswerID: 528672

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 15:33

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 15:33
Yep, in good conditions you could do the Birdsville Track in a day - though of course in after rain it can be impassable. Don't rush though, there are places to see along the way and a good overnight stop at Mungeranie pub with its thermal pool out the back.
And from Port Augusta to Marree instead of going the shortest route you can take the time to detour from Hawker and enjoy a few days at Wilpena Pound, then go on via Arkaroola and back in to Lyndhurst. Farina is a good camp site between Lyndhurst and Marree too.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528676

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 15:50

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 15:50
Hi Siringo

It is a great drive with such a lot to see along the way. Sure you can do that stint in a day, but why?

Take your time to stop and look at the many great things to see along the way. We have driven it under all conditions and my only word of advise is.......if it is wet, do not even tempt it.

Open the link below to show you what a lot of people miss along the way when they are in a hurry.

The Birdsville Track - What there is to see along the way.

One other tip is to drop your tyre pressure down by around 20% on what use usually run on the highway, and keep your speed around 80kph where you can and you will be looking after your tyres as well.

Enjoy the drive.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 528679

Reply By: Siringo - Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 16:45

Wednesday, Mar 19, 2014 at 16:45
That's great news, because that will give me time to go elsewhere as well, maybe on the way back??

Thank you all.
AnswerID: 528682

Reply By: The Bunyip - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 14:31

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 14:31
In short, "two days". Adelaide to Marree then Marree to Birdsville. But if you're towing anything I'd leave early both days!!!
There's heaps to see with respect to both scenery & history so if you're heading back that way do yourself a favour & enjoy what's at offer.
AnswerID: 528723

Sponsored Links