modification to a 2011hilux 4 door ute

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 19:30
ThreadID: 106811 Views:1738 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
to get more space inside the cabin if have taken the back seat out completely i then fabricated a structure out of alum it has a surcure area for all my heavy spares wally jack etc which is low down ob the ute floor on top about 45 cms up have floor made of aluminium mesh that i can put my soft things like clothiers tent etc the structer iis bolted down to the seat mounting i then have a cargo net that goes up to the sealt belt upper mounts great it is safe all heavy gear is down low and secure and can get to it without taking the light gear out above
2nd idea is i have fabricated out of food grade pvc boxed dividers that will keep the beer cans and other drinks from rubbing together when inside my waeco fridges
from past experience over rough country the cans rub together and go flat what a bad way to finish a long day driving
regards ersko
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 19:45

Thursday, Mar 20, 2014 at 19:45
ERSKO, I will be the first, but many others will want to know also, what are the food grade dividers? Any pics? Thanks in advance. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528743

Reply By: Grizzle - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 09:32

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 09:32
Just put your cans or stubbies in ankle socks, cheap as from kmart.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528779

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 14:38

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 14:38
Using the space inside shouldn't be for heavy items, Fridges maybe,( tied down) I have done that, but only small/lighter other stuff inside.

Fridges inside should have a happier ride than in the tub and will get cooler air if you provide for it.

Jacks and heavier gear should be in the rear.
Give up beer and there is no problem, also saves additional space.
AnswerID: 528799

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:42

Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:42
Um yeh it is easy to underestimate the forces that can act on heavy objects.

Some time ago a bloke I know, bolted a battery down in the back of his hilman hunter rally car.....big lumps of flat under the floor and long threaded bolts.

The car got out of shape in a competitive stage and they hit a bridge post head on.

The roll cage, racing harneses & helmets did their job...the nav walked away unscathed...but the driver copped the battery in the small of his back.....even over the short distance and thru the back of the seat....it beat him up pretty bad...the pieces of flat pulled thru the floor.

One of the few fatalities in australian rallying was in one of the round australia rallies.....against regulations a crew had strapped a spare diff down in the back of the pasenger compartment.....the vehicle rolled on a transport stange ( not competitive and not at high speed).....the diff smashed in 3 heads..3 dead.

Hard heavy things inside the cabin are not a good idea.....if they get free....they can do serious damage

cheers
AnswerID: 528840

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 00:21

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 00:21
I'll be positive, sounds like you have given some thought to what you are doing.
If having fridges in the car was a problem as suggested, almost every patrol, land cruiser, pardon or any other wagon would a concern.
My beers don't usually stay in the fridge long enough to rub through.

Alan
AnswerID: 528844

Sponsored Links