Mail when on road ??

Submitted: Friday, Mar 21, 2014 at 23:53
ThreadID: 106832 Views:2096 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all ,
about to take off with the caravan but in a bit of a dilemma where to have my mail sent to , my daughter will receive it but apart from 7 weeks in a house sit our plans are at the moment haphazard , possibly Tassie late July till September . what do other fellow travellers do ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Lynton B (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:03

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:03
Hi Brian: We are continually on the move when on the road. So we organise a mail forwarding business to forward our mail to the next appropriate Post Office. We firstly arrange to have our mail forwarded from our local PO to the mail forwarding business. We just notify - via email - the business of the postal address of the PO we will next be passing by. Addresses of all Australia Post offices is available on the Web. Hope this info is what you were looking for. Cheers. Lynton.
AnswerID: 528849

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:55

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:55
Pretty well ditto to what you have said, we get a neighbour/friend to collect mail. They dispose of any junk mail, then forward mail onto us (in a bigger envelope) to the particular post office we will be near.....works for us.
Allow a week go the mail to get to you, the post office will hold the mail for two weeks, so if you are delayed a few days it won't matter. Make sure the envelope has a return address on it..... Just in case.
Have a wonderful trip
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 811454

Reply By: Athol W1 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:19

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:19
Brian
We have all our mail redirected to our daughter, who also has Power of Attorney.
She opens any that she considers necessary and either attends to it or scans it and forwards it via Email for my/our attention. Most of our regular mail (bills) are now dealt with electronically with no paper involved.

This system has worked now for the past 5 years and has included such things as being called up for Jury Duty being dealt with using her PoA.

Hope this helps and enjoy your travels
Athol
AnswerID: 528861

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:01

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:01
We have been using a mail direction company (Landbase) to manage our mail. works well for us. We use their address as our postal address and our sons address in WA as residential address. Residential address is in WA for licence and Centrelink. Just need to ring or email where you want mail to be sent a week before you get there. Australia Post will hold mail for 4 weeks before returning to sender so have plenty of margin for extended stays on the way.
Has worked for us for several years but had to explain the NSW, Landbase address, was only a mail diversion company and there are no such facilities in WA.

Neil
AnswerID: 528874

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:47

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:47
There are many mail forwarding services, some who will open and scan so you decide which mail you want to receive, pay for the postage of, and fill up your caravan with.

I have a daughter who tends this for me, and I am able to continue all aspects of running a business without physically receiving mail when travelling for months at a time. She sends me the list of bills each month, and scans any mail she thinks I need to look at. If a non email reply is needed I draft it and she prints it and signs on my behalf. If we are out of internet range for some time and a bill needs attention within that time, she will contact the company and explain why we will be paying late and they are happy with this when told. When we return there are boxes and boxes of mail we don't want, with only the bills and just a few documents to file away.

The only times I needed to physically receive mail was if a signature was required on a document such as a mortgage. This can usually be forwarded to a branch of that financial institution to fit our travel plans. If suitable it can be emailed and printed off at a public access technology place, often available in public libraries, signed and posted back.

I have registered for electronic mail only where ever possible, eg with shares. Bank statements are all available on line.

When a friend was living overseas for what turned out to be some years, I picked up her mail (we have post office boxes) and tended to it, emailing her about anything that may have been important. She would then let me know if she needed me to post it - very little needed posting.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 528878

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:19

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:19
We have most of our bills as paperless. We either get them by email or notified by our credit union. We then pay by Bpay. For mail bills son either just sms the the Bay numbers or takes a photo of the bill and sms. Other mail is mostly non urgent so can wait till we get home.
AnswerID: 528880

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:42

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:42
Australia Post offer a digital mail service you can select what bills letters you want to use it suggest you go and ask them about it.
AnswerID: 528882

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 14:03

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 14:03
Mail?
Two letters every three months. Gas and Electricity, and as I pay a bit each fortnight, i'm in credit, so I don't even really need them.
AnswerID: 528886

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 16:55

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 16:55
Our utilities (electricity and phone connection) are automatically debited to the credit card. The power account still comes by snail mail for our records, and the invoice for the phone line which is through our ISP can be printed at any time from the ISP website.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811480

Follow Up By: Brian - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 18:17

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 18:17
Thanks to everyone for their input !! Much appreciated
brian
FollowupID: 811488

Sponsored Links