Where to register vehicle ??

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 00:08
ThreadID: 106833 Views:2335 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
How is this for a scenario ?? i currently live in WA but am soon about to hit the road towing the old van , basically in SA for 7 weeks then off to Tassie late July till somewhere in September , back to Mildura Country Music Festival then wherever it takes us !
Problem is i have found my "new " vehicle in SA but it has NSW plates and it doesnt have a lot of rejo left on it , i think when i bring it back to WA i will have to put it over the pits to register it here ?? Im sure it would pass a pits inspection but its probably more expense and bother , why couldnt i register it in NSW as i know i will spend some time there in my travels . What are the legal requirments please someone ??!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Duncan W1 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 05:13

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 05:13
Registration is required to be in the State in which you either live in or are registered as a resident of that State.

An example of not doing this is from I fellow I know personally. He had been living and working at Mount Isa but relocated to a large NSW town still working for the same company. He visited me and on his way home he rolled his F150. It was registered in Qld and he had been living in the large town for several months at his new permanent address. He was charged with driving an unregistered vehicle as he was a NSW resident with NSW drivers licence and as a result his insurance was voided as the vehicle was unregistered.

NSW Police regularly charge hoons/idiots on the QLD/NSW border with unregistered uninsured vehicle when the hoon shows a licence in NSW and owns Qld registered car. That is not heresay as it came from the Highway Patrol supervisor in Tweed Heads.

It all comes down to your residential or registered address.

DW
AnswerID: 528847

Follow Up By: Member - John - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 06:25

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 06:25
what happens if you don't have a permanent residential address?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 811451

Follow Up By: Duncan W1 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:38

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:38
John
I guess your voting address or centrelink address.
You would have an address for mail or rego etc.
DW
FollowupID: 811459

Follow Up By: Duncan W1 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:54

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 09:54
This site might answer a few questions.
http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t48426793/vehicle-registration-yearly-without-a-permanent-address/
FollowupID: 811462

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:01

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:01
Hi Duncan,
I will give you another one. When I had a concrete sawing business in Newcastle, we also had an office in QLD and at one stage we needed the utes from QLD to come down and help with a big job. One day a worker came into the office and said he had been charged with driving an unregistered vehicle. Now the ute had 5 months rego left on it so I rang the police to find out why. I got a call back from the police and they said that because I had local phone numbers on the ute it was to be registered in NSW. I told him we had an office in QLD and this ute was only here for 7 weeks doing a job, but because I had the local number as well writhen on the ute it was based in NSW. I paid the fine.
So to answer the question you have 7 days to transfer the rego to your state.
Just one other thing I did buy a 4x4 with WA plates on once and had to get a blue slip to register it in NSW and a police check of the engine and body numbers.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 811463

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:36

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:36
"Registration is required to be in the State in which you either live in or are registered as a resident of that State."

This is NOT so.
Registration location is the "garaging" address of the vehicle.
It is quite OK to live in one state and have vehicles 'garaged' and registered in several other states at the same time.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome.
FollowupID: 811469

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:54

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 12:54
What if you don't have a permanent residential address?

Well you must be some sort of criminal, illegal alien or vagrant.

There is little or no accomodation for people in society that have no permanent address.

If you don't have a permanent address, you must by some means within the law contrive to have one.

The government and large businesses are very uncomfortable with not having a permanent address where you can be found or contacted...as far as they are concerned it is part of your identity.

So you have to find a place where, you can keep some stuff, register to vote, have your mail and government notices sent and return there from time to time.

It helps if you can have some bills sent there from a major government or commercial entity.....these you will use to prove your identity and your residential status.

Cheers

FollowupID: 811476

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 18:31

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 18:31
Statement made by "The Bantam"
"Well you must be some sort of criminal, illegal alien or vagrant."

At the moment I am renting a place and I do have a permanent address. What I have considered doing for my retirement starting in October 2014, is getting rid of everything I own that I can't carry with me and go from Qld to W.A., then tour around all states for the best part of five years then find some where to settle down.

The only thing I will have to pay for is the Rego / Insurance on a Caravan and a Cruiser Ute. I am even going to drop my plan and go Pre paid for my phone.

I will not have a permanent address for the time I am on the road.

I have purchased and paid for two houses in my life and now they both belong to my Ex. wives, they both have permanent addresses.

If at the end of this time I feel the need to settle down again it will be where ever I can afford to and that will depend on how much cash I have left, and the state of my health.

Does this make me a Criminal, Illegal Alien or a Vagrant??

May be some one out there could let me know if which of the above category I will come under, or should I revise my plans.

Cheers

FollowupID: 811491

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 19:10

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 19:10
va·grant [vey-gruhnt] Show IPA
noun
a person who wanders about idly and has no permanent home or employment; vagabond; tramp.
Law. an idle person without visible means of support, as a tramp or beggar.
a person who wanders from place to place; wanderer; rover.
wandering idly without a permanent home or employment; living in vagabondage: vagrant beggars.
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a vagrant: the vagrant life.
FollowupID: 811493

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 00:50

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 00:50
The fact is the government and most busineses can not cope with the idea that a person does not have a permenent address.

Regardless of what any of us think the attitude from the bosses upstairs is.

Well you must be some sort of criminal, illegal alien or vagrant.

Just about every interaction with government or business requires you to have a permanent address.

Regardless of your personal reality..if you want to be treated like a law abiding australian citizen you must , by some means within the law contrive to have a permanent address......or you are very likley to be given one.....one that will be small and low maintenence and rent free.

Serioulsy that is how it is.

cheers
FollowupID: 811514

Reply By: Athol W1 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:02

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 10:02
Brian
Whilst the Australian Constitution guarantees freedom of movement throughout the Commonwealth for any legally licensed motor vehicle and its driver that licence is only legal if it is issued in the state in which the driver USUALLY resides (and in the case of members of the armed forces that is deemed to be the state in which he/she enlisted, regardless of the length of time they have resided in a particular location)

The registration requirements also include the place where the vehicle is usually garaged. Hence you can hold a NSW drivers licence and be driving a Qld registered vehicle quite legally, as it is the responsibility of the intercepting officer to prove ''beyond all reasonable doubt' that the vehicle is not in fact USUALLY garaged in Qld. This all depends on the answers given at the time of the interception or interview.

It is not unusual for persons who normally reside in Victoria to holiday for 5 months in Queensland to have vehicles in both locations with one registered in each state, and they can legally relocate either of these vehicles and still be legally registered (working on the usually garaged provision)

As for those on extended touring holidays your home state is usually taken as the place where you are on the Electoral Roles.

In Qld, at least, before you can be breached for driving an uninsured vehicle (CTP) the officer must be able to prove that you DID NOT HAVE an honest belief that the vehicle was covered by any CTP insurance - anywhere.

Hope this helps and enjoy your travels.
Athol
AnswerID: 528860

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:41

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 11:41
For travellers, SA is a great place to register your vehicle.

There are no annual inspections, no windscreen stickers (under 4.5T GVM) and you can re-register on line from anywhere at any time.
You can also pay monthly by DD if you wish, or let the rego expire for a month or a year and simply re register on line at any time when you wish to drive it again.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 528873

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:20

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:20
You want save any money rego it in nsw.
Pretty sure they have the most expensive rego.
Then you need to chase around getting your own 3rd party insurance and also it has to go over the pits yearly at your expense
AnswerID: 528881

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:58

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 13:58
Be a lot easier if that was a national registration, similar to heavy vehicles, for those who travel x amount of time a year.
AnswerID: 528885

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 00:52

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 00:52
They would still have to produce proof of a permanent address.

cheers
FollowupID: 811515

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 16:42

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 16:42
it is possible to live in one state and have a vehicle registered in another
I do it but had to jump a few hurdles
I currently reside in ACT (have done since 1973)and own a home., have severall vehicles registered there and am on the electoral role there
My last 3 4wds have all been purchased in NSW and have been registered( for private use) at the farm address in NSW where since retiring I tend to spend about 3 days a week when not travelling.
To get the vehicle registered in NSW without holding a NSW licence I had to eastablish an address .quite easy since I maintain a house on the property and presented rates notices.along with other 100 point photographic ID crap like passport ( even with canberra adress) etc.
I now have a nsw RTA "customer number" in lieu of a nsw licence number. There a a few restrictions on what i can do online as their computer system is still primarily based on nsw licence number.

I also couldnt purchase some of the cheaper green slips because the companies insisted on nsw licence .
I think the whole thing is if you legitimately hold property or reside in several states it is your perogerative where you enrol for elections, register vehicles, hold mv licence etc.
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 528887

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:28

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:28
If you want definitive "legal requirements" why not get legal advice or at least start with your State registration authority.
Every time this subject comes up here it starts a bunfight!
AnswerID: 528923

Follow Up By: Brian - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 13:42

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 13:42
Thanks to everyone , great site , great people
Have decided to register in WA
FollowupID: 811560

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 16:13

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 16:13
A very sensible decision, no grey areas!

FollowupID: 811571

Sponsored Links