Comment: EOTopo

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 17:07
ThreadID: 106842 Views:2192 Replies:3 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased the EOTopo 200k micro SD Card and downloaded Memory Maps to my PC Laptop, what is the next step to load the maps? I have copied the contents of the card onto the desktop and setup an account in Memory Maps but can't load the maps. I will eventually put the maps that I need onto my ipad but was told to do this through itunes. Help!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bill13 - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 20:45

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 20:45
I too am having trouble loading EOTopo 200 on to my IPad so will be monitoring this thread in case it can help me as well.
Are there more than the two of us having issues installing EOToppo 200?
Bill
AnswerID: 528897

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 21:17

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 21:17
Lots of blurb about how good it is Bill but no instructions on how to install it, very frustrating exercise so far. Needs some sort of self installer.
FollowupID: 811506

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 23:58

Saturday, Mar 22, 2014 at 23:58
Why don't you insert the micro SD card straight into your ipad and and from there load your maps to your navigation apps, i.e. Oziexplorer. I hsd no problem doing it that way. Cheers
FollowupID: 811511

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 05:41

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 05:41
Thanks George, I tried that but it says that "this accessory is not supported"
FollowupID: 811519

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 06:25

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 06:25
The problem is that Apple won't let you load data from an SD card for any app, it has to be done through Itunes. That's part of Apple's way of making sure you do things their way.

See the instructions I posted below. I did install it on a Ipad a while ago and once you come to terms with apple's restrictions it is fairly straight forward.

On an android or PC you simply put it on an SD card or memory and tell the app where to look.
FollowupID: 811520

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 06:21

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 06:21
If all else fails.......

How to install maps in PC IPAD etc

Basically for the PC you have to put the maps in a folder then tell Memory Map to look in that folder.

For the IPad etc it is a little different, Apple won't let you put stuf from a SD into it's memory. I don't know how to use Itunes very well but there is a section in itunes that allows you to select an application , in this case Memory Map. Then you can select the maps to download. It is a bit cumbersome but that's the way Apple insist that it be done.
AnswerID: 528911

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 08:08

Sunday, Mar 23, 2014 at 08:08
Thanks everyone, I have done all I can, everything is in it's right place that I can see and I bought the "third party licence" from MMaps. When I go to load the maps from the folders from EOTopo there is a message that says there are no maps files?? Maybe there is some sort of block on the topo files that hasn't been activated yet? I emailed Adele so hopefully I will get some advice soon, wasted too much time already on this one! Cheers.
FollowupID: 811524

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09
G'Day Foot,

Did you get a reply from ExplorOz. I sent an email last week re loading the EOTopo onto my Hema HN6 and haven't had an answer yet.

I supose everyone other than you and I are computer experts so there is no need for instructions to be supplied with the SD card.

Paul
FollowupID: 811617

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:50

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:50
Hey Paul, I know my way around a computer well enough to install software but something isn't quite right here and it should be a lot easier than this. I emailed Memory Maps support as well.

Fingers crossed!!
FollowupID: 811618

Follow Up By: RGS_461 - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:51

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:51
I didn't think that the SD card version of EOTopo had the maps in memory-map format (just ECW and OZFX). I thought that the memory-map format maps (QC3 / QCT) had to be downloaded from the memory-map website.

I could be wrong on this though - and I'm sure David or Michelle will chime in with the answer real soon.

John
FollowupID: 811619

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:01

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:01
That would be a perfect explanation John. The software just can't see the map files no matter what I do that's why I bought the "third Party map licence". Memory Maps do have the Eotopo files to purchase from them as well for the same price. Bugger!
FollowupID: 811620

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:14

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:14
If you downloaded the file form here, then you probably got the Oziexplorer version. I think you have to download the Memory Map version from the Memory Map web site.

Memory Map files are .qct or .qc3 only.

FollowupID: 811621

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:09

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:09
I bought the SD Card from this site and was under the assumption that it worked with Memory Maps, as I am going to use an ipad for our navigator and the pc laptop just for planning and downloading maps to the ipad through itunes.
FollowupID: 811627

Follow Up By: RGS_461 - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:41

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:41
You can download the memory map files Using the MM PC program, but it only downloads it in chunks as you view an area.

I find it easier to download the whole file directly from their web site

http://www.memory-map.com.au/mapchunks/AUS/EOTopo/

It's the relevant licence for these maps that allows the map to be opened up and used/viewed, etc.

John
FollowupID: 811629

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:01

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:01
Hi Member - Foot,

This is a bit of a tricky one, as we typically recommend that if you are planning on using the Memory Map program only, that you use the Memory Map format files, the relevant links are all found on the "Buying Options" tab on the EOTopo 200K product page.

As you have already purchased the EOTopo Maps on SD, as well as the third party licence software from Memory mao, then there will be a way to make this work, but as I do not have the relevant experience with using Memory Map Software with a third party licence to import ECW files, it's a bit tricky. I have emailed Memory Map to ask for their assistance on this, and hopefully will have a procedure for you to follow to get this working. Will post information here as soon as I hear back.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529001

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:06

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:06
Just had an email back from Terry at Memory Map and they said that the card that I purchased is of no use with Memory Map and that I should talk to Explore Oz to see if I can return it. Thanks everyone.
FollowupID: 811639

Follow Up By: Member - Snirtus - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:45

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 17:45
I think that unless we can get some detailed instructions telling us how to get memory map to access the EOTopo files we have done our dough! Disappointed.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 811766

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Adele - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 18:57

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 18:57
Hi All,

After consulting with Memory Map this week on the topic raised by Member - Foot, we have determined that the EOTopo 200K files in ECW or OZF4 (as provided on the USB and SD versions of the product) cannot be used with Memory Map under any circumstance.

The reason for this it that the file sizes are too large to convert into the required GeoTiff format (which, if the files were smaller, you would then use with the "third party licence" he refers to above to import into Memory Map). I have handled this issue with Member - Foot, and we are on the way to getting the correct set-up finalised for him.

We have never advised that these formats are compatible with Memory Map, as we were aware that it would be far easier to make the product available in the Memory Map format itself, and have indeed done this.

There are three links found under the Memory Map buying option on the EOTopo 200K product page, one is a zipped folder of the maps and other relevant files needed (referred to as the Starter Pack), and one is a detailed PDF on how to get everything working (instructions), and the last are 3x links to download the Memory Map app in your operating system (Windows, iOS or Android) to be used if you don't already have the app.

I have taken a screenshot of this, please see below:

There are several constraints that we had to work when it came to the distribution of this mapping in MM format, and this means that you can only obtain them by download, and will need to have some technical know-how to be able to follow the correct set-up procedures, however the good news is that you can use the maps for several days as a trial prior to being prompted to make an in-app purchase of the maps.

If anyone is not sure whether they have the right format maps for their individual set-up, I am happy to assist (and can assess returns of un-needed formats on a case by case basis). Please email me at adele@exploroz.com and I will do everything I can to help.
Online Shop- Adele

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811772

Follow Up By: Member - Foot - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 07:33

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 07:33
Thanks for all your help Adele
FollowupID: 811823

Sponsored Links