Van parks charging extra for dogs

Submitted: Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25
ThreadID: 106869 Views:2538 Replies:12 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
We have done quite a bit of travelling with our two small dogs staying in cvp's & free camps.Some cvp's ask a refundable deposit for dogs & set guidelines for behaviour etc, I have no problem whatsoever with this,and recognise dogs in cvp's must be under control etc.
We have been doing research into our next trip and have noticed some cvp's are now asking $3.00 to $ 5.00 extra per night per dog! Has anyone else come across this? It seems to us to be a fairly recent trend?
Personally I think it's a bit rich when your already being asked to part with $37.00 per night to start with, ($43.00 / night with the 2 woofers!)..what are the extra costs being incurred by the park? After all it's not like our "fur kids" can use the jumping things or the pool ! :-)
Anyhow interested if anyone has come across these extra charges yet ?
Cheers Steve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mbw650 - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:43

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 11:43
We have noticed the dog charges introduced in the past 2 years, we also noticed that parks at the start of our travels that did not charge extra had introduced charges by the time we returned were the towns that no longer allowed stays in showgrounds or free camp areas. Victoria was the worst for charges, one park charged us $32 for 2 adults and 1 child and then added $36 ( $12each ) for 3 labradors, and that was for a run down park that would have benefitted from us leaving some dog poo behind to brighten the place up :)
Mark
AnswerID: 528985

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:36

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:36
Mark I was annoyed at $ 4.00 each, but $12.00 is just obscene! Yes they have a right to make a profit but am getting tired of getting ripped off, particularly when they think you have no options. NSW & Vic seem to be the worst at the moment. Steve
FollowupID: 811628

Reply By: scruffy - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:22

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:22
Maybe the solution is to allow the fur kids to play in the pool and play equipment. Managers would not like it and it would eventually lead to "No Dogs" allowed. After all if you have to pay for the dogs than they should be allowed to play. Voice our disapproval of their practices and go elsewhere. Maybe a call or email to the local council and c/park letting them know that the community is missing out on your funds. Bob
AnswerID: 528987

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:42

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:42
Yes Bob, Voting with our feet is probably the most effective way.Conversley, getting behind parks that do make our "fur kids" welcome, passing the word around and encouraging them as much as possible, whilst just leaving the negative ones for those that prefer not to have dogs / animals around them.....perhaps?. Steve
FollowupID: 811630

Reply By: Duncan W1 - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:55

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 12:55
The CPs are probably charging for the dog/s as they are in a minority and probably really do not want them at all.

All National Parks have a ban on dogs and numerous other venues like markets.

I have had many dogs but there is no way I would travel with a dog as it restricts where we can go.

Free camping is about the cheapest way.

DW
AnswerID: 528993

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:47

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:47
Duncan I really hope the are in the minority and stay that way.
It's not easy at times and some sacrifices re venues have to be made, I guess it's an individual choice. We have met some really great " doggy" people in free camps. Steve.
FollowupID: 811631

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:44

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:44
I think Duncan is on the money with this. Our dog doesn't travel with us either due to the restrictions
FollowupID: 811678

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:24

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:24
Maybe it's another case of the minority spoiling it for the majority. There are stories of noisy dogs, people not cleaning up after their pet and people washing pet bedding in park washing machines. This would all be an additional expense to rectify so instead of going to the expense of tracking down the perpetrators the park operators just apply a blanket charge.
AnswerID: 528995

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:54

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:54
Unfortunately Rod, your probably right.its a hard thing to defend when there are dog owners out there that just don't care.On the other hand maybe there should be some kid free parks as well, I've seen some horrendous messes created by kids running amok in parks :-)
Steve.
FollowupID: 811633

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:23

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:23
You are right there too Steve. We don't have any pets now but have seen some way better behaved dogs than humans in our travels.
FollowupID: 811636

Reply By: Tony H15 - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:28

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:28
The annoying part is the CP owners wont observe or police their own rules. Generally one has to go up to the office and lodge a complaint. Unfortunately if it's the CP owners dog, they tell you to move on if you don't like it.
AnswerID: 528996

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:55

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 13:55
Ain't that the truth Tony..have seen that ourselves more than once! Steve.
FollowupID: 811634

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:52

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 14:52
This seems to be just another excuse to increase charges without having to actually advertise the real cost of staying in a park. Parks along the coast are the worst offenders at finding reasons to charge extra without providing any extra service. One at Brunswick Heads charges $7 (at last check) a night extra for a so called beachfront site. On arrival the unfortunate who booked by phone finds that these sites are actually the smallest and tightest in the park and are actually beside the river which cannot be accessed from the sites and they are no closer to the beach than the other cheaper larger sites! I don't think this charge for dogs has anything to do with controlling dogs (I don't object to a deposit system as a means of encouraging the few irresponsible dog owners to control their dogs) and everything to do with a rip off.
We no longer travel with a dog but still try to support dog friendly parks which do not rip off anyone, dog owner or others. Lynne
AnswerID: 529000

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 19:36

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 19:36
Hi John & Lynne, that's it guys, I don't have an issue with a doggy deposit provided it's fairly administered...no drama.
We love our "fur kids"but acknowledge that all dogs must behave well and be controlled, not only for the safety of people but for safety of other dogs as well.I do have a problem with these parks that feel it is their right to screw as much as they can out of any poor bugger that stumbles across them! Like you we are happy to support any park that does "the right thing"' especially if they're dog friendly :-)
Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 811671

Reply By: Dingojim - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:08

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:08
We are currently staying at the Black River CP in Townsville who are pet friendly at no extra charge and even have a large dedicated pet exercise area. If CP's don't want my dogs or want to rip me off by charging for them then they can shove their CP where the sun doesn't shine.
AnswerID: 529006

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 19:44

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 19:44
Dingo Jim,is great to hear about dog friendly parks going that extra mile to make dogs and their owners feel welcome, more power to them.Like you any park that doesn't want our dogs doesn't want us and we will press on until we find a park that does! All the best, Steve.
Hey what do you reckon....maybe the good folk at EO might start a new section for all us doggy travellers, with the facility to list dog/ animal friendly parks, dog minding services or individuals etc..there's a lot of us out here...might be worth a thought?.
FollowupID: 811673

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:32

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 17:32
We just booked for a week in May in Perth at one of only a couple, that we can find, dog freindly parks. It's not cheap at all, but, they don't charge extra for the dogs. Also, we've stayed there before and had no dramas at all re having the dogs there, plus it's in a nice spot..
For us, our dogs are part of the family, we wouldn't dream of going without them. They love holidays as much as we do, so we wouldn't sacrifice their bit of enjoyment just to make it easier for us to find a place to stay. :-)
By the way, for the record, the park we are going to is Burns Beach, and we can only find one other dog friendly park close to Perth, which appears to be right at the end of the main runway ..lol..
If anyone knows of any others, would love to hear them for future trips away.

Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 529014

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 19:55

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 19:55
Gidday Al,mate know exactly where your comming from.
We have need to go to the Gold Coast 3 or 4 times a year, have only been able to find 2 parks on the Gold Coast that will take us and our pooches!
We are currently planning a trip which takes us into Adelaide for a week or so,so far have only found one park that is dog friendly, it's at Belair and we will be supporting those good folk..my experience so far is city areas seem to be tougher than rural/ country areas?..if you have a look at my last reply maybe there is a good case for EO to take up the cause?? Cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 811674

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 21:01

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 21:01
Hi Al we live in Rockingham but travel with our dogs everywhere we go intending to come out your way soon.
Have come across these site's http://www.banksiatourist.com.au/contents/dog-sites.html
http://mysticpegasus.com/TRAVEL/MP-Dog-Friendly-Caravan-Parks-in-WA.html
http://online4thepets.com/pet%20friendly%20accommodation/Australia/Western%20Australia/perth_and_western_australia_pet_friendly_accommodation.html
http://www.acclaimparks.com.au/swanvalley/facilities.php

Our mutts are quite large so we tend to free camp as much as possible, hard to do that when the city is the destination I suppose.
Plenty of dog beaches and exercise areas around Perth most of the councils list them, fair few in the Rockingham area as well. Don't know so much about the caravan parks around here, we are usually heading somewhere else. Some good accommodation not caravan parks in the South West, we use for short breaks these guys are great http://www.avocachalet.com.au/ although they have been burnt a bit by some careless dog owners recently. http://myweb.westnet.com.au/chesara/ are pretty good as well.
Looking forward to reading about any others if anyone knows of some.
FollowupID: 811680

Follow Up By: Member - KBAD - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 18:00

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 18:00
South of Perth is this camping area. I have heard good things about it esp that it is easy to catch the train to Perth from it (takes 30 mins on the train).

Bonney’s Water Ski Park
136 St Albans Rd
Baldivis 6171

Dogs on leads welcome

Email: waski@bigpond.net.au
Phone: (08) 9524 1401

Might be worth checking out?

FollowupID: 811768

Reply By: SDG - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:07

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:07
I wonder if they charge like this for seeing eye/hearing dogs. I guess these owners have other choices of parks if they do.
AnswerID: 529022

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:28

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:28
Good question:-)
I believe that guide / assistance dogs are able to access a lot of places that "normal" dogs can't...shopping centres, public transport etc. personally I think it would be a pretty hard hearted manager that would refuse a visually impaired person in a group because they had a guide dog. It would be extremely disappointing to even think they would consider charging someone in this circumstance extra!!
Thanks Steve.
FollowupID: 811676

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:53

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:53
By Law they can not prevent guide dogs etc in any place accessible to the public..
At least that's my understanding of the law.

Disco.
FollowupID: 811710

Follow Up By: SDG - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:39

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 15:39
Found an exception to this last year at Dubbo Zoo. A Quarantine issue I believe.
FollowupID: 811742

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:41

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 20:41
Go to myparklist.com When you go to the 'town list' you can select 'Pet Friendly' parks. The owner of the site, Gary Stratton, is 'pet friendly' and if contacted is very amenable to updating his site.
You could get together, update the pet friendly sites and pass around the site address.
AnswerID: 529025

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 08:54

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 08:54
Thankyou Rod, will do cheers Steve
FollowupID: 811697

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 22:54

Monday, Mar 24, 2014 at 22:54
Think about this.

Many human accomodation businesses charge by the body....the basic fee may include two humans accomodated..if there are more humans staying they charge extra for each.

Now.....a medium to large dog weighs about the same as an average 10 year old......the 10 year old speaks english, uses a toilet and sleeps in bed.

A dog, can not be instructed in english by other than its owner, pretty well $#@ts where it likes and does not wash daily.

Why should a dog be treated any differenty from any other tennant in accomodation.

What are the costs.....unless your dog uses a toilet or a litter box, bth for solids and liquids, it is reasonable that some sort of inspection and cleaning is required before another tennant can use your site.

Even then your dog consumes scervices, enjoys the amenity, occupies space, drinks water and produces waste just like any human.

Why shoult it not be charged accomodation fees.

cheers
AnswerID: 529036

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 09:15

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 09:15
Giddy Bantam, you make some interesting points.
I agree with what your saying if for instance we were staying in a dog friendly cabin or similar, but that extra cleaning / inspection should already by factored into the tariff.for that service.I have no problem with that, I would expect to pay extra for the convienence of having my pet allowed to stay inside with me.
However in the case of renting a caravan site & supplying your own accommodation, you have already paid for whatever "extras" the owners have deemed that you should contribute to.
A dog uses no power takes up no extra space, it's owner should be picking up its messes, any water it would consume would be minimal, as for enjoying the amenities....can't use the pool, jumping castle, playground,camp kitchen area, playroom, ablutions, what's left? Walking on their grass..if there is any. Bantam, I don't mind paying my own way and am happy to pay a reasonable amount, just getting sick of some..( not all by any means) of these park owners who want to rip us off! Cheers Steve :-)
FollowupID: 811699

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:47

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:47
As a general rule, pets are not allowed in on-site accommodation units, Chalets, onsite vans or hotel/motel units.

This is not at the discretion of the owner/manager of the unit, but a Health department directive.(In WA at least).

Bringing your pets (cats, Dogs, etc) should be at the discretion of the park owner/manager.

If you don't like that, you are welcome to go somewhere else that does take your furry/fluffy kids.

Disco.
FollowupID: 811709

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 13:16

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 13:16
So ya think the hygene issues associated with dogs begin and end with picking up the mess.

So what about the ground contamination from where the mess has been and..yeh not only does the dog walk on the grass bit it pisses on it too.

How then do the owners also account for the fleas, ticks, worms and other parasites that the dog may carry.

OR should they be putting every dog thru a compulsory drenching & dipping programe before being allowed on site.

I certainly would not like to occupy a site that has had a dog dumping, pissing and shedding parasites on it for the week before I arrive.

Not to mention the loss of amenity.

I've owned dogs cats & various other pets, But let me tell you, a no pets alloweed sign on any sort of paid accomodation increases its value and amenity...I am not alone.

Actually accomodating you pet may in fact loose them income.

serioulsy think about it.

cheers
FollowupID: 811715

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:42

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 14:42
Plenty of KIDS piss and poo on the nice grass area also, can't see the difference myself. I'm not a real dog lover, but most are much better behaved than most kids I see.

Cheers
FollowupID: 811734

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:58

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:58
Gidday again Bantam:-)
Mate I hear what you saying, whilst I would not totally dispute what you say, you obviously have a very strong opinion on this and that is totally your right to do so :-)
I think at this point we agree to disagree,however as you have asked me to consider your points...which I have, I would request that you also consider these:
Any piece of open ground can be subject to all sorts of contamination, human..deification, chemical, pesticides etc, native animals..ticks,worms etc..cattle ticks etc, birds..lice etc..I think it's a bit ruff (sorry mate couldn't help myself :-) ) to blame poor old woofers for the whole deal.mate years ago I did a big function in the middle of a paddock, it was for a mine opening, a staff of 30 or so assisted me to transform the area with marquees etc, meals baretc etc, we worked for three days setting up and doing the function, the day after the function I had 20 or so of my crew down, some of them quite I'll and distressed, I suffered this as well, we came out in extremely itchy large welts, red angry looking things, headaches, nausea etc....diagnosis of three different doctors......kangaroo lice...not a dog in site...cheers Steve.
FollowupID: 811781

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 20:02

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 20:02
Hi TTTSA, thanks..personally...I'm with you..but I admit I am biased
Regards Steve.
FollowupID: 811782

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:29

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:29
A caravan site is not a piece of open ground, it is a space advertised and sold as fit for human habitation.

It is reason able to expect it to be free of vermin and in a reasonably hygeenic condition.....I believe that expectation would stand up in court.

As for children the behave like pigs...well there should be a surcharge for those too.

cheers
FollowupID: 811806

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:39

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:39
Easy to pick on children and dogs..adult humans are worse than both combined.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 811808

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:47

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 22:47
I've found two places that let the dog stay inside with me in the room.
Paynes Find and Kunawarritji.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 811811

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 23:02

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 23:02
I would like to thank you all for your thoughts, seems we may be drifting away a bit I was trying to see how widespread charging extra for dogs in cvp's is, anyhow I sincerely thank you all and wish you all safe and happy travels in our beautiful land.....with or without animals
All the very best....Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 811812

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:25

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 11:25
perhaps some of the parks are charging the pet fee to offset business revenue lost from people who wont /dont want to stay in a park that has dogs.
I know if I have a choice a go for a park that doesnt allow pets it gets prefererence over those that do.
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529059

Follow Up By: Member - Steve O (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 20:12

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 20:12
Hi Howard, yes that is quite possible I guess, my experience, and I stress my experience only is that dog friendly parks seem to do very well I have had trouble getting a site in a dog friendly park on quite a few occasions, where non dog friendly parks in the same town have sites available....just my observation.
I do understand that persons not travelling with pets may prefer to not have animals around them....isn't it great that at this time we pretty much all have a choice of sorts..all the best, Steve.
FollowupID: 811787

Sponsored Links