4wd dual cabs

Submitted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1069 Views:1754 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to buy a dual cab 4WD but which one Hilux Triton Nissan they all seem much the same! so some feed back would be very helpful.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michelle - ExplorOz - Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 02, 2002 at 00:00
Jeff, I think you will get a lot of response to this one from owners of various dual cabs, but I would ask for what purpose do you need your 4WD? If it is for offroading, especially for articulated terrain or soft sand then my opinion is the Hilux is the pick of the bunch. I'll leave it to the others to argue this one out, but the Hilux is a reliable, trusted workhorse and a very good offroad performer. It has excellent articulation, has the advantage of being lightweight so doesn't get bogged down and has the excellence of Toyota's engineering. Toyota parts are easily found around the country as they are so popular esp. with farmering folk. I'm not biased, its just that I've seen a lot of vehicles in use and know the statistics and general opinion.
AnswerID: 3296

Follow Up By: Sam - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00
Couldn't agree more Michelle.

I will give a biased view and say that from my own experiences the Hilux is great. I have a '90 model diesel dual cab, and its amazing how capable it is off the factory floor.
FollowupID: 1340

Reply By: Mike - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

While some others will argue, history tells Hi-Lux has been and still is the toughest most reliable twin cab out there. Especially in Std trim. The early deisels may not be tyre shredders, but they will go anywhere and pull anything you would reasonably expect a one tonner to do.
Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 3309

Reply By: Will - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

Jeff,

It depends on if you are buyin a new one or a second hand one.

If it is a new one, then I have to disagree with Michelle and the others.

I do not drive one so I am not biased, but the new hilux no longer have live axle in the front, therefore poor articulation.

I have driven the Ford Courier turbodiesel (current model) and I got a friend who has one and that thing goes much further than the hilux (in standard form).
It is as strong and as good.
Also talking to some hilux owners (new models) they are now made very flimsy and the aux battery tray is craking the inner guards etc...

Will
AnswerID: 3311

Reply By: Matt - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

If your criteria is a good workhorse, dualcab ute that you will be using for 4WDing a lot, then you have to look very seriously at the Land Rover Defender.

There is nothing wrong with the Jap makes, but it is really horses for courses. As far as I can tell all the jap models are very alike with only reletively small differences, and the best is probably the one that you can get the best deal on.

If you want a heavy duty workhorse that is far superior off road to all the jap model dual cabs, then the Defender is the one.

Cheers,
Matt.
AnswerID: 3312

Reply By: Ken - Friday, May 03, 2002 at 00:00

I also had a Ford courier turbo diasel [recently traded on a new F250] It was a magic truck ,when I traded it I had covered over 100,000 km this included 2 trips along the CSR , The Gibb River Road ,Port Warrender, and last year Rudall River NP. The only problems I had were 1. minor overheating when towing a heavy trailer in hot weather, fixed by Ford with a bigger radiator and different fan clutch 2.a couple of minor oil leeks ,g, box and transfer case also fixed promptly under warranty. I only changed because I wanted something bigger, by the way there is an F250 dual cab ! Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 3319

Reply By: Peter Hale - Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 08, 2002 at 00:00
I've had a realy good run out of three Navaras,the first two were a little under powered with a 2.7D motor but still managed to get 200,000+ out of both. I now have a 98 model 3.2D and have just clocked up 91,000 and touch wood have had no problems.The two faults I have found with the Navara's is that they are under sprung in the rear & the small fuel capasity witch is proberly common to most dual cabs.
As for needing parts when in the back of beyond apart from fan belts,filters & oil etc, it's not a problem if the vehical is well serviced .
Anyway I have never seen any parts or services centers on the CSR,Gunbarrel or Gibb river rd not even a ''Toyota" one.
Good luck on your search theres plenty to chose from.
AnswerID: 3401

Sponsored Links