Cobbold Gorge QLD - Sth access route

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 17:07
ThreadID: 106917 Views:2195 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am after any information people have on the access to Cobbold Gorge, QLD from the south.
Not from the east (via Einsasleigh & The Lynd Junct), I am after information if anyone has traveled in/out via Old Robin Hood and Percyville.

Mainly, I'm after has anyone done it?, ie are the tracks public access. I'm not after track conditions as mentioned in other threads this is vary depending on peoples opinion.

I'm just after an off the main road exit from Cobbold Gorge. I like to take the remote and unusual routes.

Thanks.
Owie..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chris_K - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 17:36

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 17:36
Hi Owie

We did the entrance to Cobbold Gorge from Georgetown (north entrance) last September, and the dirt road was a disgrace. We were going to head south via the Lynd Junction on the way home - but with one of our group blowing a shock absorber on the way in on their camper trailer - we decided to head out the same way.

We were told at Cobbold Gorge that the road south was "no worse" than the road north. I did ask if they could be more specific - but her response was still "no worse".

As far as I could see, there was really only one road into Cobbold and one road out either from Lynd Junction in the south or Georgetown in the north? Someone may want to correct me on that....From memory the closest place to camp and see the gorge is at http://www.cobboldgorge.com.au/.

As you say - everyone has a different opinion on the tracks & it depends on when the graders went through last - but I'd call the friendly folks at Cobbold Gorge and ask their opinion about different ways in and out- they seem to know most things! If you are staying at Cobbald Gorge (Robin Hood station) then you won't be disappointed - it's really quite nice. The infinity pool and swim up bar (true) is brilliant - and now that they have had some rain, the dams should be quite full...

Not sure if I have really helped with the "unusual" route though!

Chris

AnswerID: 529180

Reply By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 22:37

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 22:37
G'day Owie,
We did this trip about 5 yrs ago.
We came in off the Kennedy Dev't Rd about 5 Kim's before "Lyndhurst" and then passed "Oak Park" and on past "Bagstowe".
We then went past "Percyvale" and "Percyville" and on past "Robinhood". We then went via "Ropewalk" and into Forsayth.
After a few days at Forsayth, we drove out to Cobbold Gorge.
The road was fine from "Oak Park" to "Bagstowe" but deteriorated badly after that.
It was very narrow, winding, rutted, steep and not well defined.
There were some severely rutted creek crossings and the crossing over the Robertson River was difficult as it was a very wide and deep, soft sandy crossing.
We obviously did it in the "dry" and I would certainly not attempt this route after any rain. Back then, we had a 100 series t/d auto with 75mm lift and front and rear diff locks and these were used on numerous occasions.
We were towing an Ultimate off road camper trailer and both Toyota and Ultimate had many more pin stripes after the trip.
I have no idea of current track conditions.
You can also continue on from "Oak Park" to "Mt Hogan" and turn off before "Gilberton Stn" and go in past Agate Creek and then on to Cobold Gorge and this was a much easier track although there are numerous gates to open and close.
Again, I have no idea of current track conditions.
On either track, you would need good maps and communication equipment, as there is no mobile phone coverage.
Regards,
Ian
AnswerID: 529214

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 07:51

Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 07:51
We’ve travelled south from Cobbold Gorge towards Gilberton and the Gilbert River a couple of times, a great drive. There is a property owner in the Gilberton locality (no longer a town there) that had been restoring an old hut where the local community fought off aboriginals in days gone by. There are also remnants of the old town.

Well worth the visit.
AnswerID: 529230

Sponsored Links