Generator

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:04
ThreadID: 106926 Views:2865 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Ok, had a look at recnt threads but need advice
Picked up an off road van with 2 large agm battery's which are charged by 240 volt lead, - solar panels, connected to car third battery
But thinking for free camping there are times in might need a gennie
So, what type bearing money is a bit of an issue

2 stroke vs 4 stroke
Diesel vs petrol- everything I have is diesel- car, diesel heater etc
How many KVh - mainly for aircon

Would love a honda but just can't afford

Any thoughts?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: brian j11 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:28

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:28
Hi Rustynails. I bought one of those Ebay special brands for $350 over 3 years ago. It was rated at 3.6 kva. It runs my A/c and all the other appliances no problem at all.(not all together of course) It maybe slightly noisier than the big names but to date no one has complained to me. It hasn't let me down and if and when it does I will get another one. I don't see the value of spending around $2000 for something that I only use about 30 days a year.
Brian
AnswerID: 529201

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:34

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:34
A cheap noisy 2 stroke will give your neighbours and you the bleep s.

Diesel gennies are impractical for recreational users - heavy, large and the smallest I could find was way overspecced for recreational use.

How many kVA (for aircon)? Depends on the size of the aircon and what it needs. More info required.

You said you can't afford a Honda and are talking aircon. That suggests to me you're looking at around a minimum 2 kVa unit.

Have you looked at Kipor, or something from Kulkyne Kampers? Google them for more info. The price may be right.

Check eBay and Gumtree for second hand units.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529202

Follow Up By: Nate1 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 23:10

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 23:10
I vouch for and highly recommend the 2kva Kulkyne Generator. Look them up on line. Excellent website and reputable business. I live in the area and have been in there and spoken to them numerous times. 95% of their business is online sales and warranty is 3+2 years. My generator works perfectly and every quiet.
FollowupID: 811943

Reply By: Mark T6 - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:39

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 21:39
Just bought a Fuji 3.4 KVA delivered to Brisbane for $489.00

I have solar as well, and so the Gennie is only there for when there's no sunshine OR if it gets bloody hot and we can put the air con on during the day.

At night I have a couple of 12 volt Sirroco fans that do nicely.

Have yet to use the Gennie, but as already mentioned $1700 for a 2.00KVA Honda running at 52 Db, compared to $489 for the Fuji (supposedly ) running at 58 DB will do me.

I would have loved a Honda as well but ditto could not afford it and besides, at least if I have the Fuji on I "should" be ale to run the Air Con as well as charge the battery's
AnswerID: 529204

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 22:39

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 22:39
I've got a 1KVA Yamaha inverter gennie for battery charging, just in case we don't get enough solar.....same specs as Honda but a little cheaper, especially on show specials....13kg....runs for ages on a litre of petrol....only need to carry a few L of petrol for it on a decent trip...most of that comes home with us. 2KVA is the bare minimum for AC's but you need to check ...most makes want more than that.
AnswerID: 529215

Reply By: Nutta - Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 23:07

Wednesday, Mar 26, 2014 at 23:07
Ryobi, 2 yr warranty and $899, best value afaic.
AnswerID: 529216

Reply By: Member - kev.h - Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:12

Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:12
Genquip is not bad either, have had mine for 3/4 years probably only run 20/25 hours total mostly running my fridge and water pump during power outage at home
2 Kva around $1000 with smart throttle - only runs the engine at whatever rpm required to supply what power is needed- I find it quite and good on fuel being a 4 stroke
Kev
AnswerID: 529237

Reply By: nickoff - Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:38

Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:38
Try Jaycar.

They have a range of 4 Stroke Invertor Generators listed.

Powertech. 2 Kva. Petrol. About $895.00

I have one at home, used for power outages. Not a quiet as a Honda or a Yamaha but way better that a non invertor 4 stroke or 2 stroke petrol, and lighted than a diesel.

Pull Start, Electric Start, and best of all Remote Start.

7 Litre tank, burns about 350 Grams (0.465 Litre) petrol per Kw produced.

So far have only used it to run (all as same time) large flat screen TV,large fridge freezer, chest freezer, large fan, medium fan, 1/2 dozen CF lights. used about 1/2 throttle for that load.

Have load tested using Tumble Drier as 1/2 setting, runs it OK, still not up to full noise.

Only issue I've had is the Fuel Cap Air Breather knob failing but a few dollars worth of Long Thread Brass Bolts and Nuts and some washers with about 15 minutes work sorted that out.
AnswerID: 529239

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:29

Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 11:29
Rusty,

Just my thoughts so feel free to ignore or return fire. I have a pretty thick skin.

I am sure you know how much you have spent to buy your van and whatever you use to drag it around. Also how much you spend on fuel for a trip. Not to mention the ongoing costs associated with enjoying your chosen leisure pastime such as insurance, servicing and so on.
Keeping that in mind does a one of cost for a well respected brand of genny look that much? When I say "well respected" I don't mean just Honda or Yamaha. Many available nowadays seem to do the job in a quite reliable fashion.

Just a thought (:-))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 529240

Reply By: Nev (TAS) - Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 21:02

Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 21:02
Hi,
a few things need to be weighed up when choosing your Gennie.
1. Rating. I have a 2KVa Honda which runs my aircond and charging fine. Ran it for 6 hours one day without tripping. Make sure what you buy will do what you expect of it.
2. Weight of unit. How easy to lift out etc.
3. Where are you going to store it? Mine fits in a special box built in the side of my van with a locking draw for easy access.
4. Fuel for the unit and storage of it when travelling.
5. Size will depend on where you will need to put it when travelling.
6. Noise levels. Some travellers do care about this and some don't as much.
7. Security of unit when travelling and/or in use.
I bought my Honda second hand for $850. A bargain I reckon. Keep your eye on the for sale forums. Whichever way you choose I wish you well and happy safe travels.

Rgds
Nev
AnswerID: 529276

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 23:07

Thursday, Mar 27, 2014 at 23:07
Carrying the petrol can be more of a problem than carrying the genny. Consider putting the money into a third battery instead. While we do carry a Honda for outback emergencies, we can manage our caravan needs in all weather including compressor fridge and an Engel as a freezer, all on solar power.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529283

Reply By: desray (WA - Friday, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:28

Sponsored Links