Engel Battpak?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:03
ThreadID: 10695 Views:15522 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Planning on buying an Engel 40l fridge, has anyone used the Engel Battpak 28 or 56ah? Wondering if this a good alternative to installing a second battery, would be easy to swap over in future to other vehicles. I do not run a winch or driving lights, would only be running the fridge and 12v fluoro light. Anyone know how long they actually power a fridge for? Look forward to any replies.
Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:14

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 20:14
Peter
The Engel (& ARB) 40 litre is supposed to use a maximum 2.7amps when it's operating as a freezer (I reckon that would be under ideal conditions; probably no more than 22 degrees ambient temperature etc).
However, if you work on that figure, the 28ah should last around 24 hours, the 56 should go for 2 days.
My cheez & kisses let slip yesterday that she wants to get me one of these types of power packs for my b'day in a couple of weeks....she's been looking at the Waeco ones. We run our fridge off dual battery system, so we only need the p/pack for running a flouro or 2 away from the truck; near campfire etc.
Do you have any prices on the engel ones?
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47538

Follow Up By: TrucksterNT - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 08:21

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 08:21
Check out the Jump Start packs. RRP $149 but often around $100. (Repco) Great for lights and I use one for a CPAP. Also very good for starting if battery is flat.
FollowupID: 309572

Reply By: Emo - Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 21:49

Saturday, Feb 21, 2004 at 21:49
The Waeco Thumper is 48Ahr and retails for $679. Not sure about the Engel. Never actually seen one. Did find them on the web for $519 and it is 56Ahr so it would seem better value than the Waeco. The 28Ahr Engel one was $319
http://www.portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au/Products2/accessories_all.htm
All battery packs need charging at some point in time so your either going to have to take the vehicle for a LONG drive or get a generator. There are some really good 2 stroke generators out on e-bay these days. I think that they are all made by the same people but go under different brand names. Have a look on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2380611523&category=632
The other alternative is a couple of solar panels. Very expensive to buy but then free to run.
AnswerID: 47543

Follow Up By: bigboy - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:16

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:16
the engel battery pack 28 a/h rrp $319-00
56 a/h rrp $519.00
my frend sells engel products ...
his price on the 56 a/h is $480-00 + freight ....
you can contact him on mob 0408237653 tuff4by@dodo.com.au
the best price on 4x4 products......
FollowupID: 309588

Reply By: Member - Des - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:22

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:22
There have been a few threads about battery packs (search "power pack", "battery pack" or "thumper").

As I recall, someone said you can buy a battery box from SupaCheap Auto or somewhere like that, stick in a top quality deep cycle battery, and save a lot against the Waeco ones or equivalent. Sounded like a good idea to me.

Battery pack is good if you can't fit dual battery, or might not keep your vehicle, or want to be able to use it away from the vehicle.

If you really only want to power lights etc, I agree with TrucksterNT about the jumpstart packs. We got a reconditioned one from Projecta for about $80, and it has been terrifically handy. Couldn't run a fridge for long on it, but fine for other low power 12v items, and handy insurance against a flat battery on the vehicle (and power blackouts at home!!). Fairly light and compact too.
AnswerID: 47573

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:59

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 12:59
My opinion, if your going to spend that much money on a battery pack that is only a cheap deep cycle battery stuffed in a plastic carry case, is a bit silly!!
But thats just my opinion.
Buy a good quality OPTIMA second battery, which is fully sealed, can be installed upside down, has 75ah capacity, and is probably cheaper than a gymmick in a plastic box!!
The optima batteries have a 10 year pro rata warranty as well!!
Why not try an exide extreme or even an oddesy battery instead, the fridge will run a lot longer!!
AnswerID: 47589

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 19:30

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 19:30
Thats alot of money for not alot of ampere hours. As suggested, go the battery without the plastic box.

Sean
AnswerID: 47609

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:36

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:36
I've got the 24ah Waeco Urban power pack. It is really handy and does a great job of running the CF-40 fridge along with fluoros and other stuff....BUT.....

It is expensive for what you get. When this one expires (about 2-3 years depending on usage) I'll probably just go for something like the Optima mentioned above. Lots more ah for lots less cash.

It may just be a matter of knowing enough to make the right connections and using clamps instead of the cig lighter/hella plugs. The test led's on the pack are handy but I suppose I could do the same job with a multimeter.

It's purely a matter of what you are comfortable working with.

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 47644

Reply By: peterjday - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:40

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:40
Hi Peter,

The answer to your question comes down to how long you need to operate your fridge without a recharge. If you intend to run for, say 24 hours, something like a waeco may do it, but it wont last long because the battery will be completely discharging. You should not be completely discharging these batteries. The thing that kills the longevity of these batteries is overcharging and complete discharging. If you only want it for 10 hours or so, a 24amphour waeco properly charged should last for years. You can also replace the internal batteries for around $70 per battery - the fridgepower, urban and outback have two small gel batteries inside.

In other words if you are going to go for long periods, get a big deep cycle battery, shorter periods - a battery pack.

The advantage of buying a power pack is that it comes set up to charge properly off 12 volt without the expensive stuff that comes with a dual battery set up. If you buy a battery in a box, to charge it from 12 volt becomes a problem and an expense. The cheap solution from Repco etc doesn't work in the long run.

The difference between the waeco unit and the engel unit is that the waeco has a cranking facility.

Just a note if you buy a waeco. If you buy an urban or outback it comes with the cable kit to wire directly to your battery which will charge more effectively. Also, don't let someone sell you the old model for the new price. Check the catalog - in the back page - and you will see that the old models come at a discount price, e.g. urban $329 including cable kit - not $379. Most outlets still seem to have only the old stock and are selling them at the new price!!!!!

Good Luck

Peter
AnswerID: 47834

Sponsored Links