Removing third rows seats on Prado GXL 2014

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 14:19
ThreadID: 106980 Views:6297 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Are the third row seats very easy to remove on the new Prado? I'm wondering if a fool can actually do any damage taking the out.

The dealer sent me some instructions with diagrams only, that are useless. The salesman got very vague and threatening when I asked about removing them. There are some good instructions on this forum though no pictures.

By the way, in South Australia a Prado must be taken for a police inspection if one of the middle seats are removed. This costs $60 and rego goes up $300 a year as the wagon is reclassified as a van. When a person gets back from holidays and puts the seat back in, they charge another $60 to reclassify it back to a wagon.

No legal problems with the third row.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 18:15

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 18:15
Best place to check this out is on Pradopoint.com

Many threads and discussions. Not as easy as on the 120 but can be achieved.
AnswerID: 529443

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 18:29

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 18:29
Patrols are two bolts each third row seat, I believe Landcruiser are latch out ( no tools) but not sure about the Prado! Have a look where they fold or the nearest place to the floor. They may have a plastic cover to hide the bolts or whatever secures them to the floor. If you don't have a look you won't learn anything! That's meant in the nicest way! Regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529446

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 19:59

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 19:59
Hi. Like all these jobs, there is some work involved but it is not too bad a job. I took mine out to run all my wiring required for towing a van plus fitting a reversing camera two channel system. If you can give me an email address I have a couple of photos to start you off. The first thing to remove is the large liftup trim board across the rear. It is held down with plastic trim buttons. Once you get that up you will start to see 6mm (10mm head) bolts that hold a cross brace. The seats themselves have 14mm head bolts, 4 for each seat. From memory the left seat comes out first. They were a bit heavy for my old back but I manged. Cheers, Bob.
AnswerID: 529454

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 21:04

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 21:04
Mick,
Where did you get the info about middle seat removal?
Can you point me to a link?
I thought temporary removal was different to permanent.
AnswerID: 529465

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 22:24

Sunday, Mar 30, 2014 at 22:24
The following information was updated in Jan 2014: (LINK Here

Seat Removal

Many 4WD owners buy wagons or utes that have seating capacities from five to eight persons, with the aim of removing the rear seats and using the rear seat space for travel and camping gear. There is some uncertainty in the 4WD community about the legality of such ‘conversions’, so we sought responses from some State road transport authorities.

Transport South Australia’s view is that removing rear seats, where no tools or only simple tools are needed; where no structural modifications are involved; no change in vehicle category and no commercial gain is sought; does not need approval and so is not committing an offence.

Providing no anchorages for seat, seat belt or child restraint are removed or modified, no modification has been made to the seating capacity. However, if the seat cannot be returned to its original position because of the removal of an anchorage point, then a permanent change in seating capacity has occurred. To formalise this change in seating capacity, an inspection will be required and following inspection a certificate of exemption issued for the permanent removal of the seat.

Where the seats are removed to change a vehicle registration category; to skirt established arrangements such as ADR certification; or to make a substantial structural change relevant authority approval is needed. If any change in classification is sought, an inspection is required and a label attached accordingly.

Vic Roads’ view is that there is no reason seats that are designed to be removable cannot be removed. Doing this does not alter the seating capacity of the vehicle. Seating capacity is defined by the Australian Design Rules as the maximum number of seating positions for which the vehicle is designed; not the number of seats actually fitted at any point in time.

The NSW RTA’s position is similar to Victoria’s in that rear seats may be temporarily removed without affecting the vehicle’s compliance.

Queensland Transport says that for vehicles fitted with quick-release seating attachments as original equipment, temporary removal of the seats is acceptable.

In the case of vehicles fitted with bolt-in seats no engineering approval is necessary for temporary removal, provided the category of the vehicle does not change as a result of the seating reduction.
At the time of a Safety Certificate inspection, the vehicle must be returned to the manufacturer's original condition or have a Modification Plate fitted for the seating configuration as presented.

Queensland Transport will mutually recognise interstate drivers travelling in Queensland who comply with their own jurisdiction's requirements, but drivers are advised to carry some proof of this compliance.
FollowupID: 812303

Reply By: Mick T3 - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 22:07

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 22:07
That was a sobering response, Phil G. Thanks. I got carried away believing the TransportSA call centre bureaucrats.

So I will simply remove one of the middle seats and the third row, store them in a shed and no problems.

I think I was trying to find excuses not to fork out $65K for a new Prado.

Thanks to everyone who replied. You'r

AnswerID: 529794

Sponsored Links