Brake Controller

Submitted: Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 17:35
ThreadID: 107001 Views:1399 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have just bought a Jayco Eagle Outback, and now need a brake controller. Can anyone please give me some advice / recommendation's on which one to buy. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark T6 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:02

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:02
I have a Hayman Rees one and it works fine, but I imagine most will come on and suggest the Tekoshna P3 (not even sure if that's the correct spelling).

I got my HR one by default, it does the job and seemingly well.

Happy shopping
AnswerID: 529509

Follow Up By: Michael G14 - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 23:37

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 23:37
Hi Mark T6

Thanks for the info. Can you please tell me which model of the Hayman Reese you have? Its all a bit complicated really. Everyone has their own two cents worth.
FollowupID: 812373

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:08

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 18:08
Tekonsha prodigy used it all over aus very happy and quite cheap on ebay, just a little bulky, but un clips when not in use, new hilux has a red arc one which is tucked under the dash but haven't used it yet as it came with the car, I believe the tekonsha applies the trailer brakes harder or softer as you brake the tow car but the red arc you just set one setting regardless how hard you are braking both have the panic button/ lever if emergency braking/ manual over ride
AnswerID: 529511

Reply By: Member - Gabriele C - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 19:07

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 19:07
Same here. I got hayman Reese that sits behind the space between the gear stick and the air con control panel, with only the knob for the controller coming out. Great product, does the job easily and it cost 250$ with install.
AnswerID: 529517

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 20:49

Monday, Mar 31, 2014 at 20:49
The best controllers are without doubt the proportional ones. If they don't have a braking sensor that applies proportional braking to the Van depending on the amount you are braking in the vehicle then they can cause you issues.
The Tekonsha Prodigy and other proportional controllers have a deceleration sensor that applies more braking to the van the more you slow the vehicle. The problem with the other types is that they either apply either constant braking or a timed increase in braking to the van which can cause lockups or not enough braking when you need it.
I have had 2 vehicles over the years and both had Tekonsha Controllers, the earlier one you had to adjust the angle of a pendulum after mounting the unit so the pendulum was vertical. The new one doesn't need adjustment as long as it is mounted with the angle of the unit within a specified range.
The disadvantage of the proportional unit is that the unit has to be mounted where you can get to the manual braking leaver in case you need it and as such is not as easy to find somewhere to mount it as the other types.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529527

Sponsored Links