Help on user friendly mapping software

Hi all.
I would like a couple of knowledgeable opinions on the most suitable mapping systems for me.
I have been researching for weeks and getting more confused. In 2012 I came down with Viral Encephalitis from shingles. A forced year plus off the road, but now able to get back into it. However the result has left me with a number of issues. In this case limited abilities to concentrate, evaluate and work through tech issues.

I still 4WD with friends and club mates and will be touring with my off road van again soon. We usually do a High Country and desert trip each year, and possible a Cape York trip is coming up.

I have a windows based PC and laptop.
An android tablet [Asus 10.5in transformer]
2 x android smart phones
a generic 7in GPS running oziexplorer demo version

The idea is to plan trips on the PC or laptop and run them on the Tablet and or GPS
So I am after a very user friendly system that will work without having to convert files etc. that do my head in.
Maps of mainland Aus with route planning, POI's camps etc

I have researched [became confused] EOTopo countless times but it seems you need knowledge about it already [ or its my inability to understand at the moment] as I can't seem to find out what it is capable of doing.

Memory map gives a list of its functions that seem great but a bit complicated for me to set up. Map sets to cover my areas seem expensive.??

Mud Maps. A club mate had these on a recent Barrington Tops trip. seemed OK except vehicle position and track were very often out. Some reviews are scathing.??

Ozi explorer. have run the demo version but possibly a bit over complicated for me.

Bearing in mind my limitations to work out software problems, what would some of you knowledgeable people recommend. Could you give a step by step guide that gets it up and running so I could determine if I can manage it.

Thanks in advance
John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 14:02

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 14:02
Hi, I can answer some of this for you. EOTopo is not a mapping system, it is just the maps. So you can use EOTopo maps on any of the systems and devices you've listed.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 529586

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 14:06

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 14:06
Memory Map is a mapping platform that works on Windows, Androud phones and tablets and even Iphones. The software is free on the PC and Android.

You can buy Hema maps, Westprint, vic, NSW, Qld, Tassie, SA and WA topo maps ( though I believe the WA and SA are pretty old). And you can get a brilliant 250K topo map similar to the EO 200K which you can also buy.

If you get the right licence, you can use the maps on 2 PC's and 2 mobile devices.

I use it on my PC to plan, check areas in detail, look at maps in 3d and make routes / tracks. Then I download the tracks to the Android Tablet or visa versa. You can download treks from here if you are a member and 4x4earth.

The PC version is about 50 times easier to use than Oziexplorer and the android versions are about the same.

Go to their website and download the software. You can try maps for 10 days for free too.

I actually print out the maps from my PC as a backup and have imported satellite photos and 1800's town paper maps into it.

Try it. BTW the Hema iphone app is Memory map rebadged.
AnswerID: 529588

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 14:50

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 14:50
"BTW the Hema iphone app is Memory map rebadged."

Just to clarify there are currently two Hema gps mapping apps, Hema Explorer and 4WD Maps ...each with their own unique features and functions.

The one you are referring too is Hema's 4WD Maps - works only on iOS (Apple products) including the iPhone but also iPad.

Hema Explorer works in iOS (iphones/Ipads) and Android devices (e.g. phones/tablets).

Read more about the the two apps HERE

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 812405

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 15:49

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 15:49
Quite right, thanks Greg
FollowupID: 812410

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 15:27

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 15:27
How about planning on paper and then using the off road program (App for some) to follow that plan on the PC, tablet or the generic GPS. Not tracks or route files to stuff around with. Put the paper map on the bonnet and follow the "plan" on the gps.

That's what we do. After spending ages with plots or track files and all manner of pretrip planning, before a trip and then running onto closed tracks or bridges washed away or creeks too deep we needed a very flexible system. I spent ages developing track and waypoint files for Cape York and they were fine until we had a detour getting out of Lakefield NP. I didn't use the files again in the whole of the next weeks. Just looked at the paper, selected a route and used the GPS to keep me on that route.

We, the whole family, use Oziexplorer in the dash mounted GPS box and paper maps on the bonnet to plan or select the next section. The stops are good to have a cuppa as well as having a break. No track files or routes or waypoints. More 4WDing and touring and less paper work.

Phil
AnswerID: 529594

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 18:07

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 18:07
There are those that love Memory-Map and those that hate it. Horses for courses because we are all different. If you think you might want Memory-Map and our EOTopo 200K maps, then go to our shop and click on the EOTopo 200K product page. Then select the Memory-Map option. There is a free 3 day trial available. If you go ahead, and purchase Memory-Map via our 3 day trial, then we get more from the arrangement if you do it the other way around (ie. download Memory-Map app, then buy the EOTopo download from within it). Just saying ;)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 529610

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 21:17

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 21:17
John,

For me and I have used them all. I would recommend OziExplorer for Android and use the EOZi interface we have just released as this makes it really easy to use OziExplorer Android. I reckon your 10.5 ASUS will be the best unit, so install OziExplorer (USD$25 from Oziexplorer.com) then add EOZi from ExplorOz which will give you the easy to use custom interface couple this with EOTopo for the maps and you are basically done and dusted.

The EOTopo license for the CD/USB product (not Memory-Map it is different) is for 2 PC and 2 Mobiles so you are covered with the majority of your devices and can load it on the laptop/PC and tablet plus smart phone if you desire.

I will link this thread to the Moving Map article for additional information if you need.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 529627

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 21:29

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2014 at 21:29
Hi

Just thought I would mention TwoNav gps mapping software - works on PC, Android, and Apple. Has associated PC software for calibrating maps/data management (waypoints/tracks/geo referenced photos) etc (i.e CompeGPS Land and Air).

Probably not what you are looking for but for future reference and others.

Link - CompeGPS website

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529628

Reply By: bushfly 1 - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 16:09

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 16:09
Thanks to all of you
A while back I did a lot of outback touring with my GU and KK. I did that with paper maps, so yes that is an option but this time round I hoped to go digital to help on my own trips and future club trips I may wish to leed. [ I have relied on club trip leaders so far] But would still have paper as a backup.

Having trouble, because of my past illness, wading through the enormous amount of info out there was a real problem so thanks again for the tips and info. I'm sure I can get something up and running soon.

Thanks
John
AnswerID: 529763

Sponsored Links