Review: Using Blogs to Share your Travel Photos

My Article Rating: My Rating 4/5

I have been wondering how best to track my next trip, should I use a single bloga nd add daily to it or a new blog each day. Well here I found the answer, thanks. It will be one per day hopefully with photo's and video's of the day if interesting.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 17:17

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 17:17
Goodo Hugh, we'll look forward to sharing your adventures.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 529769

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:09

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:09
OK now I am left thinking over how best to use the Blog. Yes I can update on my phone but I prefer the computer keyboard and an old fashioned camera. I will be out of phone range during my trip from Perth to the cape and intend to prepare my daily info in the evening for uploading when back in civilisation.
I am still leading toward one per day.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812596

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:00

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:00
Hi Hugh,

I tend to do one blog per trip, unless I have something particular interesting to write about then I may do a single blog on it.

This for me minimises the amount of blogs I have to manage, and makes it easier for others to find any info about certain trips.

It also depends on who you are writing the blog for, some people like to read about others trips in a couple of minutes and some prefer to read them over morning tea etc. and over a longer time period.

I've got blogs on this site dating back to 2007 and still have only 12 I think which is about two too many. If the site owners facilitated the segregation of blogs into chapters/days then I may be inclined to use that function if it was made available.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 529782

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:39

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:39
Yer Alan your current one is getting long, I end up rereading half of it because I can't remember where last you left off. LOL

Cheers

Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 812572

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 21:11

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 21:11
Yeah I know Dunc, sorry about that, though I have to reread it to, to maintain the flow. Takes about 3 hours for each day, thats 20 minutes writing and 2 hours 40 minutes getting the facts right. At the current rate I'll finish it just before I go away again lol - wherever that is.

At least when it's finished it may provide someone with some info about the subject, only David knows really but I suspect most people who read the blogs find them via Google and not through EO.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812577

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 22:37

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 22:37
I shouldn't throw stones Al, as my 2 Blogs have been continuous and when printed out come in over 100 pages long. Wish I had the patience of you guys to write some more.

Cheers Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812580

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:30

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:30
Using Blogspot is also an option.

A lot greater choices for layout and details. Have a look at mine here Gone Bush in a Bushtracker and you will get an idea.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 529784

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:25

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:25
Very good layout, no doubt took some time to prepare and the result very professional.
I may stick to the simple lay outs offered on EO as time will be short for improved presentations.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812598

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:46

Thursday, Apr 03, 2014 at 20:46
Hugh,

The easiest way of all is the way we do it. Simply write your daily info in email and send it to blogs@exploroz.com - provided you are using the same email account as your members profile when you send it, the system will automatically publish it with any attached photos. It will be set for the day/date you send the email. This is by far the easiest way to use it and even if you are out of service your device will just keep it till you get service again and will auto upload/update your blogs.

You can test it any time you like and delete the entry.

I send our from my smartphone, so I take photos with the phone all day and then attach/share them via email directly to blogs. The subject of the email will become the blog title, date will come from sent date, text as you type it in the email and attachments will become photos. Easy peasy.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 529786

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh D (WA) - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:14

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 12:14
David,

I will try the option you mentioned, sounds too easy. I prefer to use my computer and camera so will rely on uploading when in WiFi range.
Thanks.
Hugh Dorey

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812597

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:22

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:22
Hugh,

No worries but you can certainly still use email from the computer system - just write the email on your computer and send it - it will sit in the outbox till you get service same method for any device. It saves you having to connect to the site and use the forms.

Have a great trip, we look forward to reading about your travels.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 812604

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:53

Friday, Apr 04, 2014 at 13:53
Hullo Hugh

This is obviously a personal view :-)

I prefer reading blogs that are based on reporting short segments, each as a separate blog, rather than one continuous blog, added to from time to time.

Why? Well after a while the blog just gets too big, particularly with many photos, for me to easily down load it on to my tablet while on the road, often with a potentially slow connection and a download limit. Even at home, I have to try to remember where I got up to last time and find myself either reading stuff again or missing out a section.

So for example, Yachties excellent blog. He has set it out well, good photos, plenty of useful observations, etc but it is now huge! I read it for a while but then the hassle began to exceed the gain for me. But clearly for others, it is till popular, given the 13 000+ views.

Mick O OTOH, posts in segments, as do others - eg Heather MG. When I want to follow something up at a later date, I just go to his/her home page, select the trip I am interested in and look at the particular entries I need. Easy :-)

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 529828

Sponsored Links