Portable Dual Baterry?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 14:31
ThreadID: 107113 Views:1604 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

First post today, well here goes..

I have a Mazda Tribute, and would love to set up a dual battery but, as some of you might be aware there is no space what so ever under the hood. So my only option is to put one in the back. But I don't want it there permanently, as I wouldn't use it every day.
I already have a Pirahana system sitting in the shed, so I won't have to buy one. Came across this site, sort of what I am looking for but not quite sure where to put the Anderson plug? Or exactly how it should be set up.
http://www.offroadaussie.com/2012/01/redarc-dual-battery-system-installation/
Anybody out there have sound knowledge of electrical work? I find myself confident with auto electrical but always good to ask questions.
I am in the process of buying a fridge, but not tempted to buy one of those fancy portable battery packs, as what do you do when the battery carks it?

Any comments/suggestions would be fab.
Cheers
Misha
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 19:06

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 19:06
Misha_boi

One of those battery packs can be useful for your situation as it is portable and can be unplugged from the charging source via an Anderson plug and used in a tent or outdoors somewhere.

Always buy one which can be partially disassembled to replace the battery IF and WHEN it fails.
I don't mean a jump starter pack but something more substantial with a 80 to 100 ah battery, depending on proposed use. It doesn't have to be fancy, just one that has a good storage capacity for whatever your use is.

Plenty of people on here have every type of power source, battery chargers and battery banks with solar panels too so there is a host of valuable opinion and examples available.
AnswerID: 529960

Follow Up By: misha_boi - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:34

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:34
Hey Ross M,

With the anderson plug, would it be ideal to run the negative all the way back to the main battery, or would grounding it to the chassis be ok? I know its going to be a challenge either way as there is no grommit at the rear of the car and the grommits through the firewall are small.

Main+Isolator+plug/plug+auxiliary
Main--------------plug/plug-auxiliary
or
Main+Isolator+plug/plug+auxiliary
-plug/plug-auxiliary

Can't think of anything else that could charge the battery without the actual isolator. I have a 12v plug in the boot but that's connected to my main and constant power, hence for this setup.

And is it true what some people say with batteries emitting gas? Is a sealed battery the go?

Thanks in advance
Misha
FollowupID: 812812

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 22:10

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 22:10
Hi Misha

If you already have the isolator then one of these will be perfect.

Base-line-FLYER

Regards

Derek from ABR
AnswerID: 529978

Follow Up By: misha_boi - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:37

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 02:37
Hey Derek,

That looks fab, few other brands out there but this type already has the anderson, I wouldn't have to add one.

Is there another way around charging the battery without an isolator?

Cheers,
Misha
FollowupID: 812813

Follow Up By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 04:50

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 04:50
The isolator is recommend to protect the main battery from discharge and also stop the car trying to start off the base line FLYER pack. If the main battery is low the car will draw more power from the pack and can result in burnt wiring and melted plugs etc. The FLYER has a 50A breaker as well as a maxi fuse but please use an isolator. Perhaps look at the FULL FLYER pack that has the isolator in the lid already fitted.

Regards

Derek from ABR
FollowupID: 812814

Sponsored Links