home made sun shelter

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:01
ThreadID: 107114 Views:1774 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am designing a sun shelter to shade the top of a hard ute canopy for camping on. Sheltering from intense heat is more the priority than from rain (which is unlikely). A tarp will go over a frame. My experience with tarps are limited to one with silver on on the upper side & black underside, & am wondering if there is a better material such as canvas? In any case, I know the higher it gets, to cooler it will get on the surface to be shaded (as long as the sun doesn't shine in at an angle). Any ideas? Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nev (TAS) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:17

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:17
Hi,
not sure if this is applicable or not in your situation but would a couple of decent solar panels do the trick. Get some shade and also ability to charge up batteries.
Rgds
AnswerID: 529940

Follow Up By: Cybermike - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:22

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 15:22
Good idea Nev to turn a problem into a resource, though I'm looking to have an area of maybe 4*3m to provide shade to the camping platform (top of canopy) even when the sun isn't directly overhead. Something to expand out to this size as the frame gets set up.
FollowupID: 812769

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 16:00

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 16:00
Bit confused mate. Are you looking to shade the camper that you will be sleeping/camping in or are you looking to shade a roof top tent or similar?
I have a camper body that we sleep and store our gear in and an aluminium decked roof rack that obviously acts as storage space, a mounting spot for our solar panel and shades the camper.
Before I added the ally decking I used to stretch one of those silver reflective tarps over the top. A lot easier not having to do that. The decking doesn't flap in the wind either.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 529946

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 17:09

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 17:09
There are other materials than silver tarp...but the price goes up pretty fast.
White marine vinyl is pretty damn good.

But the old silver tarp is cheap and cheerfull...but you must buy well..the realy cheap ones are just rubbish, they don't last long and the eyelets pull out.

I've had a good trot out of the austrail traps.

look for good well reinforced corners and eyelets.

AND the trick is support the edges well and at every eyelet and stretch em tight.. I mean tight.

I got a couple of em up here 24/7/365 and I get about 2 years out of a good one.

The problem with a portable arrangement is making something strong enough to give the tension.

cheers
AnswerID: 529950

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 17:18

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 17:18
Hi Mike,

Since you want shade rather than shelter from rain, have you considered using shadecloth - say 75% or higher. You could probably buy something ready-made, or if you have the necessary you could make something yourself.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529954

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 20:02

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 20:02
Agree with Val, I would be looking down this avenue as well, you will buy a ready made shade cloth shade sale with eyelets etc all done for around $80 at Bunnings , 80% shading and will not hold in the heat or flap in the wind?just add poles
FollowupID: 812789

Reply By: Cybermike - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:23

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 15:23
Some good ideas here - I'd not thought of the shadecloth though is something to try. Pop - the idea is to provide shade onto the top of a aluminium ute canopy which I sleep on (not in). I've had it with having to find appropriate trees from which to string up a tarp - so am looking to build a pop-up frame & put the tarp/shadecloth on that. It's way too hot to be in a roof-top tent, though use a mozzie dome if need be. Cheers.
AnswerID: 530021

Reply By: RUMPLE AND FETISH - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:03

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 19:03
Hey Cyber
I make shadesails and do canvas work for a crust.
My advice would be to get 90 % shadecloth and form that on yer roof shade cloth is light weight dont crackle and rattle in the wind and the material these days is pretty strong
Go to a shade sail manufacturer they will have pieces of higher quality they may sell you
I would consider 70% material as a wall, stop flies and mozy s and will breath
AnswerID: 530050

Follow Up By: Cybermike - Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 23:30

Tuesday, Apr 08, 2014 at 23:30
How do you reckon this shadecloth would go on a dewy night - would it soak it or let it drip through?
FollowupID: 813008

Sponsored Links