jackaroo front axles

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 21:46
ThreadID: 10713 Views:1856 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
While 4wdriving in Collie (W.A) on saturday during a climb I lost the front wheel drive. After a long reversing down hill challenge and getting to a camp spot we found the front rhand axle had moved.
On further inspection the circlip that holds the axle spline had come off.With help from other people in the group we repaired this and ventured out the next day.
Climbing another hill I again lost power in the front, this time sliding back and pushing in part of the long range tank.For some reason the problem occured on the opposite side and reversing was again on the cards.
Has any one had this happen or know why after 30,000klms it shuold occur?, on Monday the jack is off to Holden for what I assume will be a warranty job.

Thanks Terry

terryfied ? yep, lets do it again
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:17

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 22:17
I dont know why this would happen... I do know that Holden will probably give you the run around. After only 30000km it is a waranty job but beware they will do all they can to get money out of you for what they consider " consequential" damage for which you are liable. Maybe the Holden dealers in WA are smarter than their eastern state counterparts & will offer you honest warranty repairs. But please be warned.. ask lots of questions and before you let them start work make sure that your repairs are covered by waranty and that no cost to you will be made. Sorry for being so negative but I have had some bitter experience with Holden & my T/D 2002 Jack. After the last effort when they didnt even look at the thermostat after an overheating problem and the problem was a thermostat partially blocked by plastic wrapping left in the water spaces at manufacture they tried to bribe me with " racing Jackets and other Holden junk"...Keep me informed as to the cause of the problem, PLEASE!
AnswerID: 47635

Follow Up By: Terryfied - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:27

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:27
You will be the first to know Ric .terryfied ? yep, lets do it again
FollowupID: 309645

Follow Up By: Terryfied - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:10

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:10
Rick,Holden replaced the circlips without a problem. Both clips were stretched although they could not give a reason as to why it would happen. Further conversation with their mechanics and they believe that the overland shockies i put on have allowed the wheels to articulate too far and put too much pressure on this clips.In fact twisting the wheel on a slight angle and forcing the circlip out.

Terryterryfied ? yep, lets do it again
FollowupID: 309732

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:36

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:36
great dealer - HELLO - think about it, it wouldnt matter if you put shocks that were 10 inches longer in there, the suspension is only going to travell as far as the up and down bump stops( or travel limiters as they should be called ) will allow, just like standard......They must think you are an absolute mushroom Terry.. The only reason that circlips would be stretched beyond their elastic limit is that the job was done by someone with very little mechanical ability or actual proper training. Just holdens quality servicing and product knowledge at its best !!!!! At least they didnt try to sting you for the cost. Just killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
FollowupID: 309783

Reply By: donk - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:15

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:15
Terry

I am interested to know exactly which circlip had come off (i assume it is the clip that holds the inner axle in to the differential side gear)but could you please clarify that

Has you vehicle had any modifications to the front suspension,axle or differential
such as ride height increased,bump stops shaved,diff lock fitted
Also when if came off what was the suspension doing on that side ??????
was the suspension extended,compressed,wheels strait ahead or turned ??????

Any more information you can give would be good

Regards Don
AnswerID: 47663

Follow Up By: Terryfied - Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:37

Sunday, Feb 22, 2004 at 23:37
Donk, the circlip is the outer clip on the very outside of the hub, that is where the spine is held in place with a female splined plate held on by allen keyed screws.(bolts) Only modification on the front are heavier duty shocks.Its is hard to say exactly where the suspension was because I was climbing rutted and rocky ground on steep inclines.
I am not positive however wheels may have been on slight turns on the way up. terryfied ? yep, lets do it again
FollowupID: 309649

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:51

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:51
Hi Terry,

I haven't heard of this one being an issue on Jackaroos in general, so I can only guess that they weren't installed correctly to start with. It could also be that maybe there is a batch of circlips that are too weak for the application.

It is weird for both sides to have exactly the same problem on the same trip.

In either case, it is definitely a warranty issue.

Cheers,
Savvas
AnswerID: 47678

Follow Up By: Terryfied - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:14

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 21:14
Savvas,you may be right in your assumption that the clips were not in or seated correctly,warranty was not an issue.Look at my reply to Rick Blaine for more information.Thanks for your reply

Terryterryfied ? yep, lets do it again
FollowupID: 309734

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:42

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:42
Hi terry, from memory they do a bearing repack at those ks. it involves taking the hub apart and removing the bearings, installing a new hub seal ( if you are lucky !!) and re fitting and adjusting the bearings, knowing the 'stealers' a first year apprentice would have had the job, and probably hadn't re-assembled the hub correctly, with the circlips the correct way around, also check the witness marks on the hub body, it may not be in the correct position as well, there are also shims in there that may have ended up on the floor and stayed there. Check your handbook to see if a repack was scheduled and check your service reciept for the charges. if they did the repack then go em for the associated damages and inconvenience as well. Just killin time till easter...............go and play in the dirt, instead of workin in it......
AnswerID: 47691

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 14:10

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 14:10
Good point .... dealer got my bearings wrong at the 30000km service. At the 70000km service they were found to be overtightened and wearing out prematurely. Tried to pin me for the cost too, until I pointed out that they did the adjustment.
FollowupID: 309692

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:33

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:33
Terry... sounds like you have a great dealer... hang on to them... mine do everything possible to abrogate their warranty responsibilities.... with out fail on each and every occasion I have been to my local Holden dealer they have made excuses as to why they charged for work done under waranty and in the most recent case didnt even fix the fault.
AnswerID: 47828

Reply By: Member - Steve & Paula - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:33

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:33
Hi Terryfied,

I had the same problem with a 92 Jackaroo that I owned from new on a beach. The beach was steep and soft and I was driving "up hill" most of the way. I repaired the problem myself and had it checked out by the dealer who could find no problem but I always suspected that poor servicing was the problem. Had the car for many years after and never had the problem again, but always carried a set or sirclip pliers! (My problem was only on one wheel by the way.)

SteveIt's the journey not the destination that counts!
AnswerID: 49080

Follow Up By: Terryfied - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 23:04

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 23:04
Steve,I now carry spare circlips and pliers just in case.See post number 10982 for a follow up. thanks for the reply.

Terry
FollowupID: 311080

Sponsored Links