A'van Bungee Cords

Submitted: Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 12:34
ThreadID: 107132 Views:6488 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had to replace the roof bungee cords on their A'van. I believe they should be replaced with 8mm bungee. Any tips and hints greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 13:32

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 13:32
We had an Avan for about 10 years, and had the bungee cords replaced at the dealership after about 6 years because of some fraying. I think they replaced like with like, and we had no problems at any stage - even though the camper was worked pretty hard till we sold it a couple of years ago.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530011

Reply By: Member - string - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:33

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:33
Hi JohnKT
We have a Chalet van, very similar, and what I've done is to get the first opening roof to the minimum cord tension position, prop both sides of the roof at that point, and remove the screws that hold one of the bungee cords to both roofs. Be careful, they may still be under some tension, (and only do one side at a time !!). Note the way the end of the old cord was finished off, how it was fitted, and it's length. make up a new cord (8mm sounds about right) plus an identical duplicate for the other side. Install the first one then repeat the process for the other side. Our local caravan shop carries a good variety of bungee cord sizes. Good luck !!!

string
AnswerID: 530252

Follow Up By: JohnKT - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 21:20

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 21:20
Thank you for your replies.
String, I think I now have enough information and am OK to go ahead and replace the bungee cords. I wonder if you remember what is used to pack the ends of the cords under the plates where they are attached to the frame?
FollowupID: 813186

Follow Up By: Member - string - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:59

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:59
Hi JohnKT
As I recall, I bound both ends of the (cut to size bungee cords) with a very strong cotton thread, the sort used by canvas goods makers, as tight as possiable, binding both the rubber strands and their covering, for about 10mm. Then dip the four ends into "araldite", and leave them set for 24 hrs for the glue to penetrate and harden.
The next stage is to attach the bungees to the van. Mark on the new cord covering, where the screws went through on the old cords "artline texta", dip a small awl in silicone grease, and gently work the awl through the covering, and seperating the rubber strands of the bungee, but not damaging them in any way, just so the awl finds the original screw holes in the frame. Gently insert the screws through the outer cover, through the new bungee and loosly, into the roof frame. I always prefer to replace the original screws with stainless steel ones.
Once this has been done, I use white caravan silicone sealant under and around the cord mountings. Tighten the screws up, tape the cover down till it all dries, and thats about it.
Did mine about 4 yrs ago, and they still work and look
ok.
regards, string
FollowupID: 813578

Follow Up By: JohnKT - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:32

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 21:32
Thank you for your help.
FollowupID: 813729

Sponsored Links