New Mitsubishi Triton

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 10:27
ThreadID: 107157 Views:3103 Replies:11 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
Would like info on owners on the latest Triton. The price compared to other makes at the moment is hard to beat. Opinions only from owners please.
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:47

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:47
A friend of mine just started a new job and he got a brand new Triton as a work car, to quote him " It's a piece of bleep "

They are cheap because they are crap, the old saying you get what you pay for, comes to mind.

Phil
AnswerID: 530150

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:01

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:01
I brought one in January 2013. GLX-R with 2.5L diesel. Twin cab with factory bullbar, tow kit, canopy etc.

Fantastic car. Smooth, refined, comfortable, quiet, economical and powerful. Lots of room. Built like a good family car not a ute.

For far more first hand information, rather than friend of a friend rubbish head to www.newtriton.com.au
FollowupID: 813033

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:17

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:17
I have been in this car and powerful is not a word I would use to describe it, built like a car, no, it is built like a ute, it is not as refined as a Hilux or even a Colorado and yes I own a Colorado and been in many a Hilux.

These cars are cheap and nasty, I have seen first hand how they survive on a mine site, trust me they don't survive they are done and dusted at about 30,000 kms.

Phil
FollowupID: 813034

Follow Up By: Honky - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:49

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:49
It would be worthwhile to find out the model of the Triton i.e. if it is a 4wd with the HP motor or a single cab with the non turbo.
The triton has similar power and torque to the Colorado ( not the recent update to 500 nm- Triton 430 nm) and more than the hilux.
I did 87,000 in 14 months without a major hitch in a 2013 GLX-R which had a steel bull bar and canopy. No issues with shocks. Towed 1.8 tonne no worries with little change in mpg.
If you have come from a petrol motor you will find it totally different especially the turbo lag which most modern diesels have.

If you are game go to the the new triton website and say the same thing.

Honky
FollowupID: 813063

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:49

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:49
My mate is a highly skilled mechanic so I will take his word on " It's a piece of bleep " He is also a Ford fanatic and he said he would never buy a Ranger either.

Any way some like them and some of us don't.

Phil
FollowupID: 813077

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 13:09

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 13:09
I went through the exercise of purchasing a new vehicle this year. I looked at and test drove a lot of vehicles including the Triton. It is cheap yes. I couldn't wait to get out of it. In the end my choice was between the Amarok and the BT50/Ranger. I have now done 35,000 kms in my Amarok and still love it. The Triton may be cheaper but I would rather pay a few dollars more and enjoy drivng the vehicle I own.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 813137

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:45

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:45
I don't own one, sorry, but restricting the view to owners only is like looking through the big end of a funnel, very narrow scope.

I'm not a fan of the product for a number of reasons but one issue to be aware if you are a discerning person is: the shock absorbers will fairly quickly lose their ability to be shockers and if towing that is just plain dangerous. If you see one on the road, although quite new, just watch the rear bounce up and down as the lack of damping is demonstrated for you.

If buying one, fit decent shocks which will work as shock absorbers and will control the vehicle and towing masses far better than the, "for sale purposes only" shockers fitted as OE.
If you aren't discerning, then you possibly won't notice these things. I suspect they are the people we read about.
AnswerID: 530153

Follow Up By: Emerging I.T. - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:34

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:34
I agree Ross. Shopping on price alone is a dangerous purchasing criteria. Nowadays I don't buy anything on the purchase price but more on the cost of ownership. The Triton sells well because it has a great warranty but it does not compare directly to dearer competitors imo. If the Triton is cheaper than it's competitors then it's not because the others are greedy but more related to specification, build criteria, component selection just to name a few. I am a great advocater of test driving vehicles to compare them.
FollowupID: 813039

Follow Up By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:34

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:34
Ross I have had 2 new Tritons and never had a shocker problem where is all this imfo coming from . its bull!
Bushy
FollowupID: 813076

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:18

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:18
As mentioned, some can't tell.
FollowupID: 813107

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 14:55

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 14:55
Obviously you aren't the discerning type Bushy. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 813306

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:37

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 14:37
I don't own one either but have been looking at them for some time.

There's a guy doing a round Aus trip with one towing a CT and he's written a piece or two for the Victorian Herald Sun Friday car section. Describes it as simple and bullet proof, but that overtaking while towing is a long-term proposition!

A nephew is a road-train driver in Qld, among other things, and has driven a wide range of 4bies and spent a lot of time on the road. When he had to buy his own he opted for a BT 50, saying the Triton wasn't worth its money.
AnswerID: 530161

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:00

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:00
I love motoring writers, IF I read it is only for the amusement value as most motoring writers don't seem to be the same opinions as the normal person in the street. Who is that normal person?

Probably untested in the Middle east conflicts for bullet resistance.
FollowupID: 813049

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:06

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 16:06
4 threads down ThreadID: 107153
sort of ruins the image a bit unless the new models have been totally overhauled in design concepts and the companies ethos has also had an overhaul.
FollowupID: 813050

Reply By: Tony H15 - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 17:37

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 17:37
I don't own a Triton either, but prior to buying my ASX diesel I did a fair bit of research on the Triton because I had intended on buying one - until I discovered it wouldn't fit in my garage. Bit of useless info here: Dual cabs have grown in length by around 500 mm since the early naughties, or thereabouts. I wasn't overly fussed on the 2.5 diesel, with only 300 nm it's 60 short of my ASX and half a car heavier. I only tow an Aliner with it, but it has oodles of oomph for that (technical expression). I spoke with the fellow who was installing my patio the other day, he has a 2013 2.5 Triton, said he wasn't very happy with the output so he had it chipped. He claims it now delivers 538 nms and now he is more than happy with it. Uses it for work and family as well as towing his van. As for getting what you pay for: I bought the ASX based on price and compared with the RAV4, Grand Vitara, Dualis, Sportage and XTrail, I thought it streets ahead. I base that on purchase price ($29990), running costs, service costs, warranty period, driveability, creature comforts, power (nm), but most of all on the seats. The seats in the ASX are as hard as rocks, but I never, ever get a sore back and the wife and I both find them very comfortable for long trips. Not saying it's a better car than the others - just suits us better for it's intended purpose - at the moment.. The ASX diesel has the same running gear as the Outlander but on a smaller platform.
AnswerID: 530176

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:54

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:54
Tony, you are very clearly very happy with your ASX & that's great! :)

But.............. mate................... you are comparing apples & oranges!

ASX is a soft roader - Triton is a 4WD.

It being an SUV is clearly not an issue for you - the ASX obviously suits your needs, but not so for those of us go to the more remote places.

No offence meant, so please don't take any :)

Cheers,

Kevin.

FollowupID: 813064

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:42

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:42
None taken, the main thrust behind my post was to point out the lack of torque with the standard 2.5 Triton and the value of a chip ($1400) for the Triton. The extra length of the dual cabs may also be an issue to some: Garages in new homes are getting smaller and the new breed of utes are getting longer. Had I not taken the Triton home during a test drive, I'd probably own one now, but I'd have to park it out on the road. The rambling about the ASX was aimed at those who think the more you pay the better it is. Not suggesting you get one...
FollowupID: 813074

Follow Up By: bigcol - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:23

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:23
The 2.5 TD HP manuals in the 4wd's and the 2 wheel drive dual cab have 131kw and 400nm of torque.
The auto's have 350nm
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/vehicles/Triton
FollowupID: 813085

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 23:19

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 23:19
I stand corrected, but from 350/400nm to 538nm is still a pretty good increase.
FollowupID: 813087

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 23:27

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 23:27
I just looked it up on redbook: the 4x2 puts out 314nm, whilst the 4x4 puts out 350 and 400 for the manual version. That must where I got the numbers from. Poverty pack I guess.
FollowupID: 813089

Reply By: 410 - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:16

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:16
Thank you to all.
Regards
Richard
AnswerID: 530178

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:04

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:04
Hi Richard,
After reading all the non owners report about the Triton I will let you know I bought a 2011 MN GLX cab chassis and put a camping pod on the back. Changed the back Springs to Ironman and tow a trailer with a quad bike on it. Never had a problem great fuel consumption Nice ride. This from a Triton owner. Wold outlast a Toyota any day out in the bush.
Cheers Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813072

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:52

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 21:52
"Wold outlast a Toyota any day out in the bush."

I will copy and paste this into the Friday funnies at the end of the week, ROTFLMFAO.

Phil
FollowupID: 813078

Reply By: John and Regina M - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:46

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 18:46
410 asked in part...
'Opinions only from owners please.'

So there are either some illiterate forum members out there or it's the biggest case of 'triton envy' I have come across.

Friends of friends, mine cars, rear suspension issues (is that all!!!). One reply referenced a thread 4 below this one for a car that's almost a classic....good one. That took some thought. The list goes on.

I'm sure someone out there thinks what you own is a bag of used baby nappies.

I'm very happy with my Triton though 410. Just a bit over $40K for a top of the line with a lot of bells and whistles. But some good comments alongside the rubbish. Price isn't everything, but I tried all the options out there. Isuzu came close, and it was indeed a toss of the coin on that choice. However the options weren't up there. Most overpriced and under equipped was the Hilux. The others were all over the road (empty) when pushed along a corrugated dirt road near me. The Triton did wallow a bit, but it soaked it all up and stayed straight. Seats a bit uncomfy but there is a very easy workaround for that. PM me if you'd like additional info.

And I meant www.newtriton.net.au
AnswerID: 530179

Follow Up By: Emerging I.T.- Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:21

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 19:21
Here we go nobody is allowed to comment unless we own a Triton! That goes against the grain of this forum. Fact is everybody is entitled to comment irrespective. You then lose your credibility by throwing in the comment "Triton Envy". John you of all people should know better. LOL
FollowupID: 813065

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:04

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:04
If we were illiterate then we couldn't even read the words, we choose to give some comments, sorry if it challenges your beliefs.

With top of the line, I wonder how long the Bells keep ringing and the Whistles keep blowing. If they are electrical bells and whistles then it may be sooner than you think.

RE post 4 down in the cross word.
Why would a gear stick break off in a vehicle if it wasn't sus from the beginning?

What people think of my vehicle or anyone else's is totally irrelevant and many won't like mine anyway.

Again, it is a case of only saying things which are, blatantly obvious and only good is acceptable, to know any background or shortcomings is not allowed. Everyone guilty smack own hand.

Everyone should therefore support the same delusion and only mention good things so any failure, breakdowns and shortcomings then become a severe regret and surprise for the uninformed after they purchase.
That is being nice and helpful isn't it?

Most new vehicles should perform well, no surprises there.

New expected comment line, for delicate petals. All reply posters should adopt this.
Tows beautifully, never breaks down, easily tows 3 tons as well as a a V8 LC, is completely stable while towing, has no known problems, dealers have no reported faults, cheap to run 8L/100 while towing 3 tons, etc etc.

Sounds so good I will buy two.
FollowupID: 813071

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:06

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:06
Gee Ross, a week or so ago it was Fords, now its Mitsubishi's.. you must have owned every car available.... absolutely lol... didn't see you comment though on the 6.5million Toyotas just recalled.. love your comments though they make my day.. love it when you stir John and Regina up!!! Fire up old boy!!!
FollowupID: 813123

Follow Up By: John and Regina M - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:58

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:58
Methinks 'he learned Inglish from a booke'.
FollowupID: 813135

Reply By: Top End Az - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:32

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 20:32
Not everyone has the desire or $$$ to buy an expensive latest generation 4wd ute. Some such as the Triton are cheaper. Granted, they are probably cheaper for a reason. I have owned Mitsubishis before but I probably wouldnt buy one, but other folk such as my old man just bought a Challenger and he is happy as Larry. He isnt all that discerning but he also didnt have the $$$ to buy what he wanted.

If it allows our fellow forum holders the opportunity to get out there and live their dreams then good on them. After all, that's what's it's all about. For what it's worth, I always have a yarn with travelling folks about their cars/vans etc. Plenty of happy Triton owners out there.

AnswerID: 530188

Reply By: bigcol - Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:44

Wednesday, Apr 09, 2014 at 22:44
I'm going to say it.
This place is getting over run with idiots.

410 .
I have owned 5 dual cab utes in a row. They all get run up to about 160 000km to 180 000km and then sold.
Along the way they tow a 1.3T trailer on works days and when the weather is good a 2.2T boat on weekends as well as the odd camping trip.

First was a Holden Rodeo. Was glad to see the back of it.
Second was a Hilux. Most over rated car I ever owned and as far as being unbreakable. That's just marketing rubbish.
Third was D22 Navara with a 3.0 TD. Went to the cape in this and gave me 3 years of trouble free motoring.
Fourth was a BT50. Was good and reliable, had plenty of go and a real good work horse. Standard, it did everything asked of it..
The current car is a Triton. It's already done 38000km and no problems.
The turbo lag takes a bit to get used but once you learn how to drive it, it's no different to anything else. Just don't put you foot down lift off and put your foot down as you'll have to wait. The only gripe I have with it, is the suspension.
It really is rubbish.
I was going to buy another BT50 or Ranger but when I could get my backside into a Triton for 30 grand drive away I spent the other 20 grand elsewhere.
If you buy a Triton get Ultimate suspension in Sydney to put a kit on it and you'll be more than happy.
If you're going up market to a GLXR get one with a factory diff lock. Great value for money.
Get the ultimate suspension, factory locker and some decent tyres and you will have a very capable 4wd. You'll leave all the Hilux and Navara owners at the bottom of the hill and that's before you start engaging the diff lock
AnswerID: 530196

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:24

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:24
bigcol
Commenting n the suspension inadequacies Bushy won't like you either.
FollowupID: 813109

Reply By: gelatr - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:22

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 09:22
I owned the previous model Triton (3.2 Diesel). I had the vehicle for 5 1/2 years and had no problems. I did all the normal stuff you would expect to do with this sort of vehicle - Tanami, Kalumburu, Mitchell Falls, etc. I towed a 1.6 Tonne boat and Tambo camper with it. This ute did a great job without a rattle in it when it was sold.

The one thing I did do was upgrade the suspension with OME equipment but I would do this with whatever ute I bought. I consider the original suspension on any new ute to be light on.

I still own a 95 2.5TD Triton and use it as my yard ute - it’s still going strong. It will leave any 2.8D Hilux in its tracks, especially on any extended high climb.

I am not sure where all the anti - Triton commentary comes from because I've had no major issues at all with either of my utes. I think some of it is issues that any ute may have blown out of proportion. Mitsubishi are also one of the great engineering companies of the world.

Although I've not touched a spanner in anger for a long time, in my early twenties I was a diesel mechanic and first class machinist. Therefore I consider that I have reasonable mechanical knowledge.

Anyway this is my firsthand experience with Tritons.

Regards,

Geoff
AnswerID: 530218

Reply By: Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 07:55

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 07:55
Havent been on here for a while. Constantly read the forum though.

410...What have you done? You asked to here from Triton owners to get a first hand view of the vehicle. Suddenly every bloody know all on the forum has wandered in , spruiking garbage and "I knew someone who..etc,etc.

Why cant people just reply when its warranted and is asked from the writer?

Go back and have a look at some of the recent forum replies in various threads and you,ll soon see that there must be a hell of a lot of lonely, know alls out there that cant wait to jump in on a thread regardless of their knowledge or interest. The "look at me : syndrome.....carry on

ps...the unwanted input ruins what should be a helpful thread for the enquirer...
AnswerID: 530370

Follow Up By: 410 - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 14:15

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 14:15
EXCACTLY !
FollowupID: 813305

Reply By: PaulKaren - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 20:38

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 20:38
Hi,
I purchased 2013 dual cab 2.5 td mostly based on price...originally was going to spend 20k on something 2nd hand so 30k plus a bit more for extras was too tempting to pass up at the time. Didnt really do enough research at the time (for several reasons not worth mentioning) but all in all happy with it. Turbo lag down low as others have said is a pain but you get used to it pretty quick. Tows 2 ton boat no problems. Suspension i will keep an eye on after reading this thread. Good luck with whatever you purchase....

Paul
AnswerID: 530649

Sponsored Links