Toyota recall

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 06:16
ThreadID: 107172 Views:2041 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Here is a link to the recall of Tojo's including Hilux, and no I am not Toyota bashing.

It is just info due to the age of the vehicles. Hilux 2004 to 2009

Recall Link
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 06:44

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 06:44
I know that you said that you weren't "Toyota bashing" but from a link in your article about the Toyota we find "Nissan will recall 480,000 cars globally" at: Thousands of cars recalled from Australian roads

But where are the list of recalls? I can't see them. Anyone know?

Phil
AnswerID: 530203

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:08

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:08
Having owned 4 Toyotas I maybe, just maybe not bashing them.

I don't care about anything Nissan or any other make of vehicle, what I came across was about Toyota.

What the link states is it affects Hi-luxes, which are out of warranty and many have a second owner. If someone owns one of these vehicles they can then go to the dealer and have it fixed.

What are you Nissan bashing seeing you mentioned that particular manufacturer.
FollowupID: 813097

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:37

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:37
Not bashing and neither did I even go anywhere near it. Where on earth did you get that stupid idea from.

I simply saw the reference to Nissan as I followed the links and as it is a popular car, and rightly so, I thought that Nissan owners would like to know about the recall links and not just think of Toyotas.

Phil
FollowupID: 813100

Reply By: Member Bushy 04(VIC) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:33

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:33
The time lapse is due to the speed at which they admit that there's a fault! (lol)
AnswerID: 530207

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 08:20

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 08:20
Bushy

I think you are right. Ha. Ha. All manufactures just hope the problem will go poof, like the genie in the bottle.

FollowupID: 813105

Follow Up By: yarda - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 18:00

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 18:00
Hey, at least we now know why the hilux is so "unbreakable", it's built with Yaris parts !
FollowupID: 813167

Reply By: Peter F9 - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:05

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:05
I certainly hope Ross M and The Bantam are reading this after their Ford bash a week or so ago. Absolutely lol. Sorry could't help myself.. should fire the boys up..

Seriously though in the age of global manufacture, increased parts sharing between manufacturers and massively complex vehicles all manufactures face the same challenges.

Cheers P
AnswerID: 530223

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:43

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:43
Pete,
it was never intended to target anyone or their views. It was just to let those who own the vehicles that are out of warranty, 2nd and 3rd owners that will not get any calls from a dealer to bring the vehicle in.

Yes, you are correct about parts sourcing, they even mentioned Pontiac which I think is was GM owned them until they discontinued the brand name.
FollowupID: 813134

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:47

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:47
But if you believe people on here, Toyotas are perfect so why would they need a recall? Must be a mistake.
AnswerID: 530227

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:18

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:18
I like the comment in todays paper

"Since early 2012, the company has recalled around 20m vehicles and sold 18.7m. The latest recall is not even the biggest in a single day: in October 2012 it was forced to call back 7.43m cars, mostly the Yaris and Corolla models to fix faulty window switches.

Toyota's reputation has not fully recovered since a faulty accelerator pedal led to it taking 10m cars off the road in 2009-10. The company later admitted the faults were caused by over-hasty expansion, and last month was fined $1.2bn (£720m) by US regulators over an investigation into misleading statements the company had made about safety problems with its cars."

Recalled more cars than is sold!!! That should fire the Toyota faithful up.
Absolutely LOL....
FollowupID: 813125

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:32

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:32
This post reminds me of the old 4x4 driver saying:

You either drive a Toyota, or want to, or tell lies

Thanks for the info Slow

:-)
AnswerID: 530233

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 09:07

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 09:07
For anybody want to look at various recalls look here.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/952839

At one time I followed recalls pretty regularly.

If you follow recalls you will note that all manufacturers issue recalls from time to time....but you will also not the general nature of the recalls.

In general the better manufacturers recall earlier and for lower risk and probability problems.

This latest recall from toyota is concerning wires that lead to the airbag and a spring in the seat mechanism.

Toyota almost certianly buy in the airbag from a company like Takata. It may simply be a case that an automated crimper has not been working properly for a day or two resulting in unreliable connections on a batch of airbags.

as for the spring in the seat adjuster....hardly a major issue...certain other manufacturers may not have recalled for something as trivial.

For enybody with ears to hear and eyes to see, there is quite a bit than can be learned from the the and nature of the recalls manufacturers make.

For example

What are the defects?
There is a possibility that an O-ring seal located between the Fuel Delivery Module and the wiring connector insert of the LPG tank may be missing.
What are the hazards?
There is a potential for gas to leak from the LPG tank to the atmosphere. This may result in a potential fire hazard

Shows that a major problem that could have resulted in a major fire or explosion was due to carelessness in assembly.

What are the defects?
The sliding electrical contact module in the driver’s-side power window master switch may exhibit a “sticky” feel during operation. This is due to the non-uniform application of lubricating grease, resulting in wear to the internal sliding contact points.
What are the hazards?
In some instances, the switch may become inoperative. In the worst case, if a commercially available lubricant is applied in an attempt to rectify the operation, the switch assembly may over-heat and melt

Where as this shows a relativly minor issue, that some manufacturers would not relcall for, most probably due to a problem with a purchased in part.

Seriouly have a look ...you will not several of the manufacturers have a number of recalls regarding airbag or air bag related defects.

cheers
AnswerID: 530287

Follow Up By: Peter F9 - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:14

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:14
Love your loyalty Bantam! Quote from last weeks Guardian newspaper as I posted above:

"Toyota's reputation has not fully recovered since a faulty accelerator pedal led to it taking 10m cars off the road in 2009-10. The company later admitted the faults were caused by over-hasty expansion, and last month was fined $1.2bn (£720m) by US regulators over an investigation into misleading statements the company had made about safety problems with its cars."

A $US1.5billion fine certainly does not look like the big T falls into your category of ""the better manufacturers (who ) recall earlier and for lower risk..problems" lol

P

FollowupID: 813477

Follow Up By: Mogul - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:18

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:18
Don't forget to mention dislodging steering shafts, broken brake pipe brackets, etc.

FollowupID: 813498

Sponsored Links