200 series front diff whine, has any other 200 owner had this problem.

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 13:57
ThreadID: 107180 Views:6194 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I have just purchased a 2011 200 series from a dealer I have used for a long time, living a fair distance from him I bought it without driving it, having said that It isn't the first time I have bought a car off him site unseen with no drama's at all.

This time I drove off and with the radio on and all was good, I then took a phone call, I turned the radio down as I pulled over that's when I heard the noise, this ain't good I'm thinking so back to the dealer I go, we took the car to his mechanic this guy is someone I have known for 20 years, we all go for a drive and sure enough the front diff sounds like it has a bearing noise, we rang the local dealer and asked if this model had any problems with the front diff and to their knowledge it didn't and they had not sold or replaced any diffs for the 200 in general.

Long story short is when I go back into town he will lend me a car for a couple of days and Grant will put a bearing kit through it or fix what ever the problem maybe at his cost, he was very apologetic as well the reason we didn't do it straight away was I had to head home, but I will be back in town in the next week or so.

My question to 200 series owner is have any of you had this problem or similar the car has 108000 km s and is perfect in all other areas, I am just interested to know.

Thanks in advance.

Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Sn00py2 (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 14:22

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 14:22
Hi Phil,

I also have a 2011 year 200 GXL and have 62,000klms on it. No problems of any sort so far and I have not heard of any Diff noise problems.

At least it will be fixed at no cost to you but I wonder where/what the problem is and how it was caused.

Regards,

Michael
AnswerID: 530238

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 14:42

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 14:42
Yeah the other one I have is an 09 model with 130000 and as quiet as a mouse, the dealer has been selling our family cars since the late seventies so no problem there.

I will post the result when I find out, Grant thinks the problem is a bearing not seated properly, on the left hand side of the diff as the noise is coming from that side, we have ruled out wheel bearings and CV shaft, the noise actually gets softer as you accelerate and at speed you can hardly hear it but at low speed it is noisy.

Phil
FollowupID: 813147

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:15

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:15
G/Day, The dealer sold you this vehicle,with a noise in the front diff, or somewhere??

He must of known, or just oblivious to mechanical noises!,

Its the nature of the business, never trust a dealer no matter how well you know them. ..Of course he will fix it he has no choice,Just didn't get away with it, Been down that road before today,...Good luck with it, make sure they do fix it properly, if its had a buggered bearing for a lenghth of time god knows what else is stuffed.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 530242

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:36

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:36
Nothing sinister Axle, he got the car in for me he probably never drove it himself, as I said my dad and I have been dealing with him for nearly 40 years and trust him, the problem will be solved and all will be good.

The mechanic doesn't do things by half either they both have a great reputation.

Phil
FollowupID: 813155

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:44

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 16:44
One fella had it on LCOOL. To cut a long story short, the diff oil was replaced and the noise disappeared.
LINK.
AnswerID: 530246

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:22

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:22
Hi Phil

I can't see the thread as I am not a member, is it possible to copy and paste the details please.

I will try to register at some point.

Phil
FollowupID: 813162

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:54

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:54
Phil,
Gone Bush says it all below!
FollowupID: 813165

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:42

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:42
That was me.

The noise was there dead on 78kph. First heard it on the way home from the dealership on delivery day.

Well, 12 months later after visiting various dealers between Mandurah and Maroochydore, I took it back to the selling Dealer in Rockingham and they had it for 3 days.

They gave it back to me after changing the oils in both diffs and the transfer case and the noise was gone. As a matter of fact the vehicle is noticeably quieter in every respect apart from that whine being gone.

I quizzed them as to whether they put in heavier oils, or additives and they said they just changed the oil from the factory stuff to Castrol using exactly the same spec oil.

When I reported this on LCOOL, a comment was made that Pajero owners have gone through this.

Anyway, don't let them tear down the diffs, just change the oils first. It has been such a change in noise levels, that I'm appreciating the vehicle all over again.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530253

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:57

Thursday, Apr 10, 2014 at 17:57
Thanks for that I will try it tomorrow and let you know the answer.

Phil
FollowupID: 813166

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 13:46

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 13:46
I just changed the oil, the oil that came out was black and had that burnt smell, there was no metal on the drain plug but there was a bit of sludge not a lot but noticeable, I took it for a drive 20 km and although the noise is certainly quieter it is still there.

I was told that the transmission was not serviceable but that was not from a Toyota dealer, I will find out then.

Phil
FollowupID: 813224

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:25

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:25
Phil,

There are plenty of 200 Series owners who have had their transmission fluid changed, including me. It was done by a Toyota dealer too.

Make your membership of LCOOL a priority. There's a lot there to learn.

When you change your engine oil, put in an EGR blanking plate to stop the build up of sludge from the exhaust gases. Before each oil change after that, put in some oil flush to get rid of the existing sludge. Do this until the oil stays relatively clean after each change.

On LCOOL you will see photos of engines that have been torn down showing the black sludge produced by recirculating the exhaust gas. It's a shocker.

Buy a Scangauge 2 and set it up to show transmission fluid temperature and tow in S4 to keep the temp down (torque converter locked).

It's a wonderful vehicle and there are a few things you can do to look after it, some of which Toyota Dealers will be reluctant to talk about, but that's OK.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813226

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:37

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 14:37
Just to be sure we are on the same page, the oil I changed was the front diff oil.

Phil
FollowupID: 813230

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:27

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:27
As with any gearbox or diff problem.

before you do anything else, change the oils for a known reliable brand of the correct grade & type.

It is one of the fist things I do when I buy a second had car.

Many of the current gear trains have very poor tolerance of the wrong oil.

I'm no lover of Castrol....I believe their engine oils are over sold, over priced and under performing.....BUT.... I keep comming back to their gear oils.

I just had a gearbox rebuilt in my 2wd..and had a long chat with the local gearbox guy..who has a very good rep & is very knowledgable.

Again he uses some funky & expensive oils in some boxes & difs...but in the toyotas its the castrol......VMX80 in the gearboxes and LSX90 in the difs....some fussy boxes may like VMX-M over the VMX80...its a similar oil but a shade lighter.
But that is pretty common knowledge.

The gearboxes expecially do not tolerate additives.

cheers
AnswerID: 530297

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:45

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:45
Phil,

at 108,000kms, your vehicle should have the transmission fluid replaced too.

Talk to your mechanic about that, I know Toyota have a special machine to ensure as much as possible is replaced without wastage, he might be able to do that too.

Especially important if the vehicle's history includes a lot of towing.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 530298

Sponsored Links