Landcruiser 80 car radio installation

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 10:01
ThreadID: 107199 Views:11331 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi,
i am about to replace the OEM player in my 80 series Landcruiser, and have a few questions i am sure many will have the answer to

*can i use any double DIN player? it looks like the plastic surround could, say, interfere with the moveable face on some/all double DIN units

*if that is so, what might be the solution to the interference?

*any brands/models which were found to be particularly good, or otherwise?

*alternatively, could i install 2 single DIN units eg CD player and CB radio in the space?
any done that; had any tricky issues?.

many thanks
alexander.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 15:05

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 15:05
Hi Alexander

Have you tried the 80scool forum at

80 series forum

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530323

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 16:40

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 16:40
Alexander,

I have just installed a full size 8" double din unit in my car. I had to make the hole a fraction larger to fit the unit in correctly. This was easy with a knife and file. I found that it is a very precise fit and will fully work on all screen tilts and ejecting the face down. So there is no issue provided you are happy to MAKE IT FIT. The mounts in the 80 are easy. Just pull the slot out top left (two screws), ash tray out (two screws) and then pull the face out, disconnect the cables and you have easy access to the 4 screws that hold the double din holder in place.

Good luck with it. It is worth doing, I cannot remember the brand, it is a CE based unit and I have since loaded OziExplorer along with iGo. I wrote a small program that front ends the Navigation selection function thus allowing me to select 4WD or Street navigation.

So I have a full 4WD and street nav unit, with reversing camera, bluetooth etc. Work ok - the one I got has a crap radio receiver - which I am working on, but usually use blue-tooth anyway.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530329

Follow Up By: alexanderstollznow - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 16:59

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 16:59
david,
that is excellent information and really answers my question fully.

BUT...
i do have some limited ability to write programs if i put the thinking cap on, so if you have a moment to indicate a least in principle what you did in that regard, that would be of great interest.

many thanks
alexander.
FollowupID: 813245

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 11:25

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 11:25
Alexander,

I have been thinking of making the little program more universal and this would make it easy to release it for anyone to use however I wrote it quick to just make it work and have hard coded the program paths into the file. I am able to make one that can read the paths from an ini file or something so if you want it then I can see how much work it will be to make it work easily for others. I could then drop it onto the shop for a few bucks or something. It would not take too long to do so if you are keen let me know and I will knock something together than you can test for me.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813298

Follow Up By: alexanderstollznow - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:33

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:33
David,
i couldnt give you the 'go ahead', so to speak on my behalf, as the specific goal is just to get an updated car player for my father's car. it doesnt really get offroad or remote use, so the i hadnt even considered topo maps. but the idea of having them loaded on a double din player along with the urban maps and without having to resort to an additional display, and be able to easily switch between the maps, does immediately strike me as a really good idea.

i wouldnt mind betting you would find a few takers for it if made available.

cheers
alexander.
FollowupID: 813358

Reply By: Member - ironJosh - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 17:26

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 17:26
Hi Alex,

I just did the switch 3 weeks ago, installing a double din head unit with a 7" screen so I could use a reverse camera, and watch DVD's.

All you have to do is make sure you connect all the wires correctly (its hard to stuff up since your head unit should come with a wiring diagram).

Keep the bracket off the oem radio, as it will go right into the side of your new head unit.

Make sure you be careful taking the facia off as it is easily broken. Make sure the steering wheel is all the way down.

Cheers
Josh
AnswerID: 530333

Reply By: B1B2 - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 18:06

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 18:06
Alex,
I bought a Double Din Pioneer AVH2450BT and it fitted without modifications anywhere. I did get a radio fitter to wire it in, as there was no conversion plug and it would have taken me too long. $100 well spent.
I did buy and fit a reversing camera from ebay for $30 and wired that in, and i am really happy with the result. (1996 80 series.) It has bluetooth and connects to your iphone automatically. Hands free, the mike is situated on the right hand pillar.
Well worth doing.

Good Luck,

Bill
AnswerID: 530337

Reply By: Whirlwinder - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 20:21

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 20:21
Hi Alexander.
I fitted a new (in 1998) cd/radio in the top half and a GME UHF below it. Fits like it was meant to be.
Ian
AnswerID: 530352

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 08:56

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 08:56
Hi Alexander

I fitted a single din radio and a GME uhf underneath.
Gme made a single din facia filler to suit, unless you have a din size uhf then easier.
was a tad tricky to mount the uhf under the radio.
Make sure you can get a harness wiring plug kit to suit toyota to the brand of radio you buy it is then just a matter of plug and play, Aerpro make them link aerpro

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 530374

Reply By: alexanderstollznow - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:36

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:36
thanks for all the replies. they collectively give me more than enough to go on.
other than trying to select from the vast range of players which can be installed! the only bad thing about the chinese manufacturing revolution is being stupified with too much choice.... :)
AnswerID: 530450

Sponsored Links