Tray, camper tourer set ups.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 18:59
ThreadID: 107210 Views:5821 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Once our next trip up the center is done and dusted I'm moving away from the prado, buying the wife a smaller girlie car.
And building a tourer , we will be towing a camper trailer , so I'm looking at a chassis extension on either a landcruiser or patrol, dual cab cut , ls3 chev maybe turbo.
Already have the motor so why not. Diesel is great, but not with the weight of a 6.5 Brunswick.

Heaps of tourqe and hp, and not bad on fuel.

Would love to see some of your setups/campers rear tray setups etc.

Appreciate it, cheers ken
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:28

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:28
Not quite a dual cab but cut and stretched a 70 series ute then built pods for the rear as per profile photo.

Blog on the build to date is here.

Building the dream off-roader

Only thing missing is the details of the rear diff extension and the new axles.

Let the spending begin ;-)

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530344

Follow Up By: ken w4 - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:40

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:40
G'day mick,

I have seen this build a bit of it any way, and to be truthful it's actually what inspired me.
It's an absolute credit to yourself and anyone involved in this build, great result and looks to kill.

With a little baby now here , it's time I sell my old holden and bush basher and start doing some touring , in comfort with everything I need on board for months at a time.

Can't wait
FollowupID: 813257

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:42

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:42
G'day Ken

A few ideas for you. Personally I get a tad nervous about a chassis extension, unless you plan to add another set of wheels.

AnswerID: 530347

Follow Up By: ken w4 - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:48

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 19:48
G'day rosco,

Great set up mate, looks awesome very nicely finished, do you tow your accommodation, or rooftop .

Nervous due to the weight, that is increased on that original spot, potentially weak??

The reason for a extension is so I can run a big tray as I need a dual cab , with a small family. Room is everything.

A 6 wheeler did cross my mind, big units , would be tight on some remote tracks and really only 4 x4.

Thoughts
FollowupID: 813258

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 20:01

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 20:01
We tow our accommodation. If you've won lotto speak with Multi-drive. They have serious 6x6 conversions for dual cabs with consequent GVM upgrade. Mega bucks though :o(
FollowupID: 813261

Follow Up By: ken w4 - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 20:08

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 20:08
No lotto winner here mate!!
FollowupID: 813262

Follow Up By: Mick O - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 22:03

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 22:03
Yes I'd be driving one of their 6x6 units if I could have afforded it. Magnificent engineering and a GVM around the 5200kg mark.

My cut and shut is just an extension of the standard GVM upgrade package Multidrive have done on hundreds of CFA and DSE vehicles over the years. Chassis rails are deepened and strengthened. A further cross member is added and the whole job is engineered and certified. Secondary compliance plate fitted and endorsed by the VicRoads.

That's a magnificent job Rosco. Class work. If you don't mind me asking, who did it and what is the pod door sealing system?

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813271

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 23:01

Friday, Apr 11, 2014 at 23:01
G'day Mick

Totally Ally so complete unit only weighs 300 odd Kg (no tray, complete unit mounts on chassis). Automotive type seals which work very well.
Made by Trade Bodies in Caboolture. Very happy so far. Not cheap .... but then again you can't use cheap and quality in the same sentence can you?
FollowupID: 813276

Reply By: dermie66 - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:58

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:58
Hi Ken

I've been contemplating a tray back set up for a while too. There's some good ideas (with pics) on archived threads 85837, 77814 and 95464 and the lcool forum. As others have said, its a blank canvas where you can spend a bit, a fair bit or (what to me is a) small to medium fortune.

Looking at other people's set ups and designing my own in my mind has been part of the fun so far. I haven't actually started yet but I've nailed down a quote on a custom canopy.

Dermie
AnswerID: 530379

Follow Up By: ken w4 - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 15:45

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 15:45
Cheers dermie,

Il check those links out tonight mate, it is great to see other peoples way of thinking.

And how the hell every thing fits in haha.

Cheers ken
FollowupID: 813307

Reply By: The Bantam - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 13:37

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 13:37
As soon as ya start with chassis extensions, ute chopping and all that modification stuff...ya realy have to ask ya self.....would I be better buying a truck.

The Iveco turbo daily has been mentined before...but Isuzu, Hino and mitsubishi all make small propper trucks in 4wd, with big wheels and decent load ratrings.

No chassis extensions, GVM upgrades or other shenanigans required.

cheers
AnswerID: 530395

Follow Up By: ken w4 - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 15:46

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 15:46
Hey mate,

Bloody good point you make.

Ken
FollowupID: 813308

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 19:50

Saturday, Apr 12, 2014 at 19:50
Or an OKA :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 813323

Reply By: Member - kev.h - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14
Hi Ken
Keep an eye on this site they do have a range of of converted vehicles at the moment all Landrovers or Mogs but do have Cruisers Patrols and some Canters from time to time seems to be a new auction each week a lot cheaper than converting one yourself
Not long ago they had swb Canters with the All Terrain Warrior single rear wheel conversion now thats one awsome beast almost unstoppable
( http://www.graysonline.com/promotions/military?vendor=australian-frontline-machinery )
Kev
AnswerID: 530464

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 17:39

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 17:39
Ken,

Have had a camper for just over 12 months, but it's still a work in progress. We hope to take it on a run up to Normanton, Cooinda, Darwin, Kununurra, Mitchell Plateau, Keep N/P, Lawn Hill N/P and Undarra lava Tubes, iin June/July.

We've done a couple of nights away in it, and I was "living" in it when my other accommodation become unavailable..........ha ha, no, not a domestic dispute. Most things seem to be working out okay.

Lately, in a very slow upgrade, have added a Redarc BMS system, 2 x 120amphr AGM batteries, and have a few extra lights and merit sockets to install. Still have a 60w & 160w solar panels to mount on the roof, and fit an external Anderson plug, to utilise a folding solar panel I made up.

Already have a s/s water tank fitted on the front of tray, but plan to hang an 80L poly tank underneath. Light are all LED, and the ones on the doors are touch lights. Bit funny to get used to, but throw out heaps of light. There's an extra LED strip light on the kitchen door, and a 2nd touch light in the bedroom. Have a 12v fan in bedroom, plus a Sony CD/AM/FM radio. A sliding window in the bedroom door, provides ventilation in cooler weather, or if you want the door shut for security. A roll-up insect screen provides plenty of air, but keeps the insects out. Split system aircon was a $3K option, but gave it a miss as we're not likely to travel in hot weather.

Have had to do a few other things, such as up grade the springs, for the extra weight, but this was needed anyway as the original springs were a bit tired.

Pretty sure there's another thread as well as the ones Dermie mentioned, extolling the virtues of these aluminium canopies.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 530482

Sponsored Links