100 series owners

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 09:59
ThreadID: 10723 Views:1520 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
On a recent trip away with a 100 Series, the owner came to me saying he could not open the tail gate either by the remote or key, the tail gate was locked. Looking in the carago area some of his camping gear had moved and was resting on the internal handle for the tail gate. The lever for the lock is located on top of the handle and to lock the tail gate the lever must be pushed in. The camping gear was resting on the lever keeping it locked in. Turning the key would not unlock because of this. To compound the matter a cargo barrier was fitted so climbing in from the back was not an option. The 100 Series also doesn't have sliding windows in the back so after some manoeuvrering with a long jack handle from the back seat, the camping gear was pulled back and the tail gate opened.

The 100 Series was fitted with a storage system which brought the camping gear up to the same height as the lock. Having a storage system in the back all the time the owner was going to look at disconnect the internal locking system. He does'nt carry passengers in the back and having a cargo barrier in the back, exiting the vehicle via the tail gate is not an option. The locking system still works on the tail gate via the remote and the key, but the tail gate can't be locked from the carago area

WayneAlways Out'N About
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:23

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:23
Wayne,
The GU Patrols had a similar problem initially and Nissan thewn changed the moulding so that there is now a protruding piece of plastic above and below the locking lug to prevent (in most cases) the lock being pushed in by gear.
It struck me that what the owner could have done would be to drive the vehicle at a "quick" speed and then do an emergency stop....hopefully all gear in the back would move forward an inch or 2 and take the pressure off the locking device.
Just a thought.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 47687

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:44

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:44
Glad to see that not only Toyota have a design fault.

Looked at the crash stop idea but the camping gear had fallen down and had wedge it self in. We had to move it side ways to release the lock.

Wayne.Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 309670

Follow Up By: joc45 - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:20

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:20
Hey, Roachie,
Is this available from Nissan to fit the GU series I?
I have had the same problem when I have stowed a jerrycan in the back. S'pose I could make one.
Gerry
FollowupID: 309683

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:33

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:33
Gerry,
Not sure whether Nissan would sell it....can't see any reason why not, but knowing Nissan it would probably mean mortgaging your kids..LOL.
Might be better to try the wreckers.
There's not much to it....it's just a small protrusion above and below the little lug that you push in to lock the door. In theory it would still be possible to have something narrow hit-up against the lug and pin the lock shut, but something "fat" like a gerry can wouldn't cause a problem.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 309684

Reply By: Mark R - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 13:59

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 13:59
Hey Roachie,
Let's get rid of that negative thinking - might to be better to mortgage the kids and look after the Patrol!
AnswerID: 47716

Reply By: Wil - Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:34

Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 16:34
Should be simple. Just fabricate a small cover over the lock, somewhat like a missle triggle protector and you can flip it open to operate it.
Just a though..

Wil
AnswerID: 47736

Reply By: jonsal - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:57

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:57
Same thing happened to us . (and also friends with their vehicle). After some acrobatics and tricky moves we finally gained entry to our wayback area. Have since taken the rocker lock bar out of the locking mechanism. Works a treat. No more risk of being locked out, but still able to lock with key, central lock.
AnswerID: 47993

Sponsored Links