Leaking Coromal corvair PC511

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:51
ThreadID: 107235 Views:2980 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
My mate is plagued with a severe leak at the rear off/side. We have removed and resealed the RH window and tailight. Can someone please give us a clue where to or how to track this problem. Van is 7 years. Problem only surfaced last year and is still bad even with a full length shade cloth screen fitted in sail track on RHS this month. Cyclone ita is now to blame at Kurrimine....All Suggestions needed and wanted
Regards ..................Bill and Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:11

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:11
Firstly, it is unlikly that a severe leak will be on a vertical surface....more liklely to be associated with a horisontal surface.

As for the shade cloth.....Um..what is that suposed to do.

Remember a leak can come in at one place a show quite some distance away.

These items that where resealed..where they removed and cleaned down before being resealed?

What sort of sealer was used?

When you say severe.......what do you mean?

Where does it show?

cheers
AnswerID: 530453

Follow Up By: Bill S8 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 16:17

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 16:17
Thanks for your help
a] B4 the shade heavy rain on RHS, now not heavy but light and misty, still leaking.Shade was for HiLux
b] Both items cleaned with turps and resealed witk W/P silicone.
c] Severe = 5-6 bath towels soaked after 30 mins of rain starting.
d[ Water ingress at wall/raised floor at RHS rear under cupboard and under bed sometimes.
Thanks ....FRom Bill on behalf of Mark who is in the middle of ITA.
FollowupID: 813385

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 17:27

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 17:27
Firtsly silicone is an inferiour sealant and has some very real problems.

It does not stick to surfaces intamately and leaks can develope under it.

To be at all effective it needs to be applied under compression being squeased out of the joint.
Even then over a number of years it ( particularly cheap versions) will dry out, shrink up and leak.

Polyeurathane ( sikaflex and similar) is a far better product, harder to work and way more expensive...but far superiour.

Resealing something that has been sealed with silicone can be a problem.....getting the surface clean and free of silicon sufficient for a good bond is no picnic.

Severity
If you have a leak that severe, ya not looking at a leak on a vertical surface...unless it has water flow......you have to be looking at somewhere where water is flowing or pooling....hell maybe even a hole.

5 to 6 bath towels in half a hour.....HELL, that is not a leak, that is a flow.

I think you need to start having a good look up on the roof.

every joint, lap, and rivet.....where the roof meets the walls would be a good suspect and deserving of a serious poke.

If you have that quantity of water...testing with the garden hose should yeild results.......but dont just go hoseing about....you need to be systematic about it

cheers
FollowupID: 813395

Follow Up By: Bill S8 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:16

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:16
Thanks For your helpful comments
We really need to hear from PopTop model PC511 owners.
This leak is sure tricky...It is not apparent until at least half hour to 45 min after heavy rain. Then the fun starts.
Drastic measures of taping, all window and brake/turn lights on rear RHS does not fix. All pop rivets have been redone. I just cant think of where to start from the pop top base. I still suspect the window seals ( not a pro man) but why the 40 min delay???. Is the frame wood or alum channel which may help/promote tracking.
How does the water come from the other side if possible. Should the van be tilted to the front to allow run off/ then what??
Regards Bill and Mark
FollowupID: 813404

Reply By: KevinE - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:36

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 09:36
G'day Bill,

I'd be inclined to think that gravity is playing a roll. I'd start looking on the roof for leaks & work my way down the van from the top.

You'd be surprised how things like the frame inside the walls act like a wick, drawing water down & sometimes sideways.

The screen may be adding to the problem, by holding water instead of letting it drain away, if the leak is above it on the van.

It's not going to be easy to seal the leak when you find it if it's wet & it most likely will be.

Good luck with it mate!

Cheers,

Kevin.
AnswerID: 530455

Follow Up By: Bill S8 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:19

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:19
This leak is sure tricky...It is not apparent until at least half hour to 45 min after heavy rain. Then the fun starts.
Drastic measures of taping, all window and brake/turn lights on rear RHS does not fix. All pop rivets have been redone. I just cant think of where to start from the pop top base. I still suspect the window seals ( not a pro man) but why the 40 min delay???. Is the frame wood or alum channel which may help/promote tracking.
How does the water come from the other side if possible. Should the van be tilted to the front to allow run off/ then what??
Regards Bill and Mark
FollowupID: 813406

Reply By: PeterInSa - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:04

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:04
Bill,
How serious are you about finding the problem? I attended a seminar recently and how repair professionals find/fix leaks was covered, and the procedure is:

Block all inside/outside openings ie Frig vents, fan vent above stove, ceiling hatches, bathroom roof hatch, micro wave vent.

Funnel the air from a fan into the ( from memory) door vent so that the interior of the van is under air pressure Note I cannot recall how much this air pressure should be.(Too much air pressure could create new leaks)

Check all over the outside of the van for air leaks, probably in an garage or such like so leaks can be more easily found.

NOTE This procedure I understand is carried out by people in the trade, funnelling air from a fan into the caravan could be dangerous, if not carried out correctly.

Forum Admin, Please delete my comment if you consider it has safety issues.

Peter
AnswerID: 530463

Follow Up By: Bill S8 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:18

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:18
Regards Bill and Mark
FollowupID: 813405

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 11:14
G'day Bill S8

As an owner of a Coromal 542 Offroad caravan, which also came with a "from the factory" water leak, but on the right rear corner where the water dripped in/onto the bed via the 12v bed light.
The culprit for the leak was the silicone seal on the upper most marker/clearance light, the mounting seal rubber was poorly fitted.

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 530465

Follow Up By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 17:08

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 17:08
I agree with Bill, my van had a small leak in a rear corner , it turned out to be the seal around the rear top clearance light. Keith
FollowupID: 813390

Follow Up By: Bill S8 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 18:58

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 18:58
Hello Keith C
I need to know just what pop top model corvair you have as all the lights are at low level at the rear and only a mid light at the top.

Regards ......Bill and Mark
FollowupID: 813401

Follow Up By: Bill S8 - Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:20

Sunday, Apr 13, 2014 at 19:20
Regards Bill and Mark
FollowupID: 813407

Sponsored Links