Aldi 36V Chainsaw

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:36
ThreadID: 107272 Views:10649 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
A few weeks ago we went thru some of the Aldi camping specials and found some good value.

1 Item I couldn't come to a conclusion on was there Garden Line 36V chainsaw at a price of $199.

We are pretty tough on products as there is a lot of fluff around these days and by the time I made up mind they were all sold out.

At the time I checked out a friends Oregon unit and it was quite a capable unit but very pricy at over $800 with 2 batteries.

Aldi where at it again last week with some good stuff, and while I was checking some out I noticed a few of the chainsaws unadvertized but at the ridiculus price of $99.

One immediately went into our shopping basket and 30 mins later I had cut up a 12 inch hardwood log with it but only just as the bar is only 12 inches long!

I didn't even put chain oil into the unit as I was prepared to take it straight back if it didn't perform.

Mostly I run a 14" bar Sthil MS170 in the car and it is definatley more powerful than the Garden line and I'd prefer it on a big trip but the Gardenline product is good and can get you out of trouble and definately has its place.
Also there are times when one needs to hack into things quietly and the 36v chainsaw really can get small jobs done without waking up the neighbours.

Had another hard track slog over the weekend and after several hours of pushing thru the scrub, frequently stopping to chainsaw up stuff I was getting pretty tired and the Sthil always takes 6 -7 fast pulls to fire up.
The 36v battery electric saw clearly wins here and saves quite some physical effort.

I thought about buying a second battery, but they cost exactly the same $99 as I paid for the entire unit.

What a joke, I went back to buy another complete chainsaw just to get a battery but I had already told my mates and no chainsaws where left.
They also had a $69 hedge trimmer which used the same lithium battery so I might get that instead, take the battery and throw the hedge trimmer away before my wife finds out and gets me to do some gardening.

While it would be nice, a second battery isn't really needed as the charger only takes 100 min for a full charge and I have already proven that it can be charged from my car via the 600w modified sinewave inverter I always carry.

The saw is rated for 90 cuts of 100mm softwood per charge and weighs about 6kg which is 1/2kg more than my MS170 its bar is only 12" which I think is a little short. My Ms170 is 14" which covers most average bush stuff.

In short , not as powerful as my small Sthil , but effective , practical and easy to live with.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:53

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:53
So Robin.... did you need it or was it a irresistible impulse buy?
AnswerID: 530540

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:58

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 15:58
Hold on a second
Ok I 've shut the door so my wife can't see.

It was an irresistible impulse buy !

But if you tell her , your banned from the next coffee club meeting.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813480

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:59

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:59
Gday
Thats rather harsh Robin, especially when they pay for their own coffee........
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813497

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 16:56

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 16:56
What was the logic behind not using any chain oil?
AnswerID: 530543

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 17:54

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 17:54
It didn't need it for the first cut Shaker as chain was already greasy in its own little sealed pack , and I thought it would be easier and cleaner to return the saw without oil in it if it wasn't up to scratch.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813484

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:44

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:44
A friend bought a cordless chain saw & loves it.
FollowupID: 813493

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:28

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:28
Hi Robin,

Please use the daylights out of that saw & see what falls off or fails mate. My guess would be the chain brake will be the 1st to go.

Chainsaws are my bread and butter & also my hobby - I sometimes buy saws just to see how they travel. Ironically, I did that with an MS170 & was pleasantly surprised with it. It was not too bad a little saw for what it is.

Using that cordless saw will get old real quick mate!

If you like the MS170, you'll LOVE a MS241.

With the very big exception of an MS180/MS181 - Stihl saws are prefixed by the 2nd number in the model ID - odd number = home owner saw, even number = pro saw.

There is only one cordless pro saw that I know of & its a Husky & who in their right mind would buy a saw made by a washing machine manufacturer lol!

BTW, Oregon are bar & chain makers mate! ;)

AnswerID: 530554

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:45

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:45
It will be fun to watch Kevin , it would have been good to buy a second one as a box of spares if nothing else.

I suspect it might last longer than its price may indicate but time will tell.
They come with an Oregon bar and chain , I have no idea if thats good or just a marketing ploy though.

While reliable the hard starting of the little Sthil seems to have no solution that dealers at least know of and I'm anticipating that the little gardenline item will overall be easier to handle but again only time will tell.

I have two german made Homelites and even 20 years of use hasn't stuffed them yet , but interestingly when I first decided to get the electric saw I figured that if nothing else I would re-engineer the 36v battery pack into a 12V item for use as a car jumper starter - it would be cheaper than getting a commercial equivalent so either way I figure I couldn't lose.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813501

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:46

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:46
"While it would be nice, a second battery isn't really needed as the charger only takes 100 min for a full charge and I have already proven that it can be charged from my car via the 600w modified sinewave inverter I always carry."

Good stuff Robin, care to google lithium battery fires.

I think I will continue to carry my Husky and a litre of 2 stroke mix in its storage box.
AnswerID: 530556

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:00

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:00
Hi Andrew

I won't end up with enough time to google as you suggest so I'm guessing a search may show up some of the issues they have had.

I have some experience in those areas and if thats what you were indicating then one could be unlucky but I wouldn't have any real concerns for them in these cases.

Actually as I was saying above I figured that even if the chain saw was no good then at the price I could make a 12v battery pack out of it whose specs would exceed the Gel cell I carry as a jump starter.
(Mostly I drive an auto these days).
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813504

Follow Up By: bob&loz - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:14

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:14
There are many types of Lithium batteries. SOME can catch fire if not charged properly and some WILL NOT. These are LiFePo4 and are very safe. Do another google and see which ones are which
FollowupID: 813507

Follow Up By: bob&loz - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:17

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:17
Actually MUCH safer than your 2 stroke mix
FollowupID: 813508

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 20:26

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 20:26
Great pickup Robin I've been looking up cordless chainsaws lately and have determined that I would get nothing less than a 36v unit when I'm ready to get one less hassle than carting my 32cc stihl around. Definitely would get the 2nd batt especially if you go 4wdriving and camping a lot. Do you have to self lube the bar by pushing a button like the old electric saws which is easy to do. Apparently were getting an Aldi in Mackay one day just hope they build a big enough store to handle the volumes of people that will shop there.
AnswerID: 530760

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:58

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 20:58
Never got to your reply before easter trip Batt , but your post made me think a little.

First while away I worked the unit hard and came to the conclusion that there was no oil feed in it.

I checked for push button you describe and it doesn't have one and I could see no reason why it didn't oil - so today back home I made use of the advantage of those type stores and took it back and got a changeover item (which you can do within 60 days no questions) , even though the current store ones cost more.

I put thin 2 stroke oil in the oil holder figuring it would flow better and the brand new one did flow oil when trigger held on for 20 seconds , so your post made me think and at least I have a new chain now as the previous one did some 200 odd cuts and nearly blunt slowed the saw down.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814157

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 20:54

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 20:54
They are having them again on 26th April.

AnswerID: 530761

Reply By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:10

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:10
More Notes

I really flogged the saw over easter and learnt a few more things.

It is slower than petrol as expected and cannot be forced - if chain starts to get squeezed the unit has an electronic shutdown which protects it - it sought of forces you to use it more correctly , whereas with my petrol saws you just rev them up and bulldoze your way threw.

I was able to clear a couple of decent tree falls and now consider the unit acceptable as a tool to take 4wding - provided you charge the battery which takes about 15 min per typical tree fall.

Its harder to move the chain along the bar for sharpening - I suspect it has no real clutch engage like petrol ones - but it can be moved with two hands by moving the chain along the bar 3 links or so.

Its quiet operation is really useful - the kids were having a party / bonfire and we kicked them up the road about 200m so we could sleep - about 2am they sneaked back and knocked off my electric chainsaw and cut some more logs for the bonfire and didn't wake us up at all - worth $99 for this feature alone.

(I returned and swapped mine as I couldn't detect chain lube oil flow as per followup above - all good).
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531138

Sponsored Links