2013 Isuzu D-Max LS-U 4x4 ongoing misifre

Submitted: Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 19:17
ThreadID: 107279 Views:8005 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
New to this forum but I'm desperate to know if this is one off, with the Isuzu engine being such a solid performer I cant believe I may have a dud. Purchased new Dec 2013. 1100klms ex-demo vehicle. At the 3000klm check up I let the dealership know Bryan-Byrt MtGravatt (service centre @ mansfield) that engine is vibrating missing under light load slight inclines with low revs, they said no engine ecm computer update monitor it see how it goes....It got worse in the interim I had to take D-max back twice for them to fix severe pull to left and steering wobble. (fixed now after 2 goes). By 9000klm engine was severely noticeable even the wife felt the engine missing!!!

So took it in 10000klm service and apparently fixed, I was told fuel injection pump timing out, reset and fixed.

NOPE not fixed now its a bit worse so again I have to take it back, I'm worried why it's so HARD for a dealership not to fix my D-max first go.

Anyone had similar issues at all....how do I let Isuzu Australia know about my terrible experience to date, I feel I've bought a $45,000 lemon!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Top End Az - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:59

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 20:59
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.You definefly have had a bad run. I have not had an issue with my LSU and have not heard of any issues you have outlined.

I would write to Isuzu Ute Australia through their website outlining the issues, dates etc
It is the next step if ongoing issues aren't being resolved by your dealership.

http://www.isuzuute.com.au/about-us/contact-us.aspx

Let us know how you go. Hope it is resolved as they are great trucks.
AnswerID: 530562

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:12

Monday, Apr 14, 2014 at 21:12
Jbad B
All the injection pump does is pressurize a fuel rail and although it has a timing position when assembled it can't get out of whack as it is gear driven. It's only purpose is to provide pressure and runs at twice or 4 times engine speed I think. So timing isn't going to be critical as long as there is pressure being made.

What they told you about the pump seems to be porkies.
However, the fault may lie in an injector or even a loose connection to the injectors or the loom plug at the ECM, engine control module.

After starting, if it is misfiring, feel each exhaust branch as it leaves the head, the cool one will be the faulty one. The dealer may not have tried anything at all.

I don't have the test equipment a dealer is supposed to have and they are able to diagnose and fix it, Possibly no one at the dealers is capable of diagnosing and testing, or they don't bother.

Send an email to IUA service people. The dealer will now who they are, ha ha, but contacts are found on their website.

Don't muck around with the dealer, he has had his chance, now go to the top and work downward.

Do you know anyone with a scan gauge or similar device? If so get them to plug int into the OBD2 port and see if there is a fault code registered. That will point you in the right direction, and that direction may be away from that dealer.
AnswerID: 530564

Follow Up By: Jbad B - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 16:13

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 16:13
Thanks Ross, just to go into a little detail, the engine stutter or miss, only occurs when driving under very light acceleration. I will check the exhaust pipes still, see if one is cooler. But idle is fine. It is at its worse when your trying to hold a steady speed and use light acceleration eg. Reads between 4 - 6 litres per hundred on the dash, it shakes bad as if it is close to stalling.

Does that makes sense?

Shakes bad just before a change down in gear say going up a hill.

Its so frustrating in a new car!

I've sent an inquiry to IUA see what reply I get......
FollowupID: 813559

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:43

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 08:43
All good valid points Ross has raised. When I read your comment about them re-setting the injection pump timing my first thought was that Isuzu must be the only manufacturer that uses that old technology in today's world or someone is pulling your leg. Definitely give that dealer a miss.
I think a lot of service personnel rely on a computer to give them the answer to every problem and if the computer says all good they either stop looking or don't have the ability to use their skills to look a little further.
Without actually driving a vehicle it can be a bit hard to offer concrete advice but take the problem of a vehicle that surges during any phase of operation. You are holding the accelerator steady but the sender unit attached to the pedal is sending fluctuating signals to the ECU. The management system has no way of telling if those signals are the result of a faulty sensor or you are varying the throttle position. As long as the signal is within the operating window no fault will be recorded.
To locate a misfiring cylinder at idle you can do what Ross suggested but be very careful, the exhaust manifold can get pretty hot. One of those remote sensing thermometers would be my suggestion.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 530585

Reply By: evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:17

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:17
I cannot help in regards to what the cause may be, but I have dealt quite a lot with IUA in the past.

We had major dramas with the dealer when we purchased our 2013 Dmax, I contacted IUA and they were absolutely fantastic, to say the least.

As others have suggested contact IUA and explain to them what is going on, what you have done. along with what the dealer has told you they have done.

In the past I was in contact with Cody, from IUA she is very very good, I know she is off on sick leave at the moment, but I am sure any of the staff will be just as good.

Tell them, you are not happy with the service you have received from the dealer and feel they don't know what they are talking about and have had the car a few times and it is still exactly the same.

Ask them to give you the details of another repairer who is willing to take the time to diagnose it properly and fix the problem.

They take things very seriously and actively pursue any negativity that reflects badly on the companies brand name.

I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised by their attitude and willingness to make sure you are 100% happy.

Good luck and keep us informed.
AnswerID: 530635

Follow Up By: Member - Coldee - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:51

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:51
Got to agree with evaredy. Contact Izuzu via their webpage.
I have got nothing but positives to say about my D Max and the service from IUA via my dealer.
I hope your bad experience via your local dealer does not turn you away from the brand.
Nothing more frustrating than buying a lemon (been there done that and got a similar spin from the dealer of another brand) however the company were fantastic, supportive and not at all pleased with the dealer who no longer sells their cars!
I hope it all works out for the best. I am sure it will
FollowupID: 813575

Reply By: Corncob - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 18:51

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 18:51
I would be getting the egr checked
AnswerID: 530818

Reply By: gavin p2 - Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 14:32

Sunday, Apr 27, 2014 at 14:32
Hi ,I am a old school mechanic and prefer the vintage stuff,than plastic and wires!.Hey, I have a similar problem on a D Max 2009 diesel I looked a recently.Engine light came on,Ipulled the codes and it said EGR fault.It was due for a Service 60,000 so I change fuel filter(not too bad) and air filter and even checked tappets(all OK).Engine has a real miss at idle on number 1 and 4 (with the inter cooler off you can simply unplug each injector while running *Beware will probably CODE that you have disconnected them*).Took out EGR and it looked OK,cleaned off some soot and crap... appears to have like a stepping motor in it to adjust it.I put it back in and for a few seconds it did seem better but soon detereated again,back to miss.I would say a slight lack of power down low,but seemed not too bad with revs up.My expereance with computers codeing is not to rely that it is 100% correct as a fault with one part can cause the computer to throw code something different!!!.Deleted codes and vehicle has probably done 50ks since and has not re-coded? (seems odd),and still idling rough!!.So I am suspect of EGR,and/or Inectors?.But I hate replacing expensive parts when they are not faulty......looks great on peoples accounts when you replace them for no reason!!.Interested hear any other comments...
AnswerID: 531329

Sponsored Links