Confusion About Oils and Diesel Particulate Filters

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:29
ThreadID: 107294 Views:5511 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I run an Isuzu NPR 250 to tow my RV.

At my last oil change (not by Isuzu dealership) I was told that Castrol RX plus was ok for use with this truck with DPF.

Now I'm being told that this oil is not suitable as it is not low ash content ! I am no where near an Isuzu dealer so am looking at dropping the oil myself and refilling with a suitable alternative.

Called in Repco yesterday and was recommended a Penrite enviro full synthetic 10-40W. Low sars or saps ?

They have to order it in specially and it is very expensive.

Question is there an alternative mineral brand out there that is more available and maybe a bit cheaper.

The log book states an API. CJ 4 oil. and I'm unsure of going full synthetic.

The truck only has 20k on the clock currently, but I had the oil changed for peace of mind as we were going across the Nullabor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:58

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 11:58
Hazo
I have used Total Rubia 15w 40 7400 ( API 1-4 ) in my cruisers for the past 15 years, with no issues at all, bearing in mind not the same as yours, current unit is HDT FTE motor.
Castrol RX plus was used by a major client of mine but they opted for a cheaper brand name for cost reasons, with no effect whatsoever in their fleet of trucks.
would probably suggest looking around at various brand name oils for your requirements as all of these companies make API. CJ 4 or equivalent its just a matter of finding them.
Could not justify having to "order" in oil especially for my car with a ridiculous price
when there are other off the shelf products available.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 530598

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:10

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:10
Yeap not recommended for DPF, the Penrite Enviro is OK for DPF.
AnswerID: 530605

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:13

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 13:13
And forgot to add, most hi performance diesel engines require synthetic oils..... it would pay to give Isuzu Care a call and find out.
FollowupID: 813538

Reply By: K&FT - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:04

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:04
My Navara V6td requires 5W-30 oil that complies with ACEA-C4 according to the handbook.
I hunted around for it but could only get it by special order. super whatsaname wanted $160 for 10L and I got it at Bursons auto for $95 for 10L

it is full synthetic too so I guess that is the price of modern diesel engines. It does however have a 10,000km service interval and most of my running is highway.

frank
AnswerID: 530614

Reply By: hazo - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:23

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:23
Thanks for the replies gentleman, I don't mind paying the price of full synthetic if I have to, it was just being unsure if fully synthetic was ok in this unit.
Repco have given me a better price if I buy the 20L drum.

Someone else told me that Isuszu dont use synthetic ! it is just a minefield trying to get the right info.
I know I can ring Isuzu but I had a bad experience with my last service with them in Melbourne, and felt I had been ripped off, so swore I would use an independent outfit for future servicing, but now I'm just unsure.
AnswerID: 530618

Follow Up By: evaredy - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:26

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:26
I would be very surprised if Isuzu give you a bum steer. I would give them a call.

Not sure about the service experience you had, but I would assume it is through a dealer and would not have anything to do with Isuzu?

I have a 2013 Dmax and has nothing but excellent service from IUA when we had major dramas with the dealer.

FollowupID: 813570

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 21:18

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 21:18
You don't have to go through an Isuzu dealer to get this information, phone Isuzu Care or customer service and get them to email it to you..... have you checked in the owners manual?
FollowupID: 813586

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 16:16

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 16:16
Hazo

It has to be low ash ,so it will be full synthetic otherwise or you will damage the DPF
driving a new vehicle come at a much higher cost ,
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 530621

Reply By: 08crd - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:08

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:08
This link may give you the info you require.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-789-acea.aspx
AnswerID: 530633

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:12

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 18:12
hazo
I had the same dilemma last year rang Castrol Technical Advise hotline 1300 557998. They are extremely helpful and actually appreciate "customers" taking the trouble to ask their advise.
I would be contacting Isuzu with the problem with the dealership If they don't know there is a problem with a dealership how can they fix it. Them more customers are going to get an unsatisfactory service.
Hope this helps.
Mike.

AnswerID: 530634

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:52

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:52
Can't go wrong if you use what the handbook says to use..and from memory CJ4 is a low ash oil.
I use Shell Ultra Fully Synthetic in my D40 and this meets the specs as detailed in the vehicle handbook.
AnswerID: 530645

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 22:18

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 22:18
here comes the cracked record gentlemen.

As far as diesel oils are concerned it is very hard to do any better then the top 3 brands..in no particular order...caltex dello, shell rimular and mobil devlac.

one or all of those brands will have an appropraite oil.

The commercil diesel oil market is very compettitive with the larger customers using many 44 gallon drums of it.....many of the bigger users have their own ability to tests oils and evaluate them.

All three of these oil ranges will out spec the retail brands even from the same oil companies......every single one of the above companies sells a retail packaged oil that is far more expensive and poorer performing than the top commercial grade.

Caltex dello 400 LE is a 15w40 oil

that is

API CJ4
ACEA E9-08
JASO DH2

rated...among a string of others.
It is cthe Caltex dello range DPF compatable oil grade.

If you cant buy it for $100 for a 20 liter or less you are not shopping hard enough.

Rimular and Devlac, will have a similar oil in the range..and similar price expectations..

do not be concerned about it being synthetic or not....it is the oil spec and grade that matters......it is unlikly that a manufacture will achieve a DH2 spec with out synthetic components.

As far as where to buy...buy where the truckies buy and buy by the 20 litre.

I buy my dello400 ( I dont need LE) from my local caltex fuel depot.....Last time I paid $85 for a 20 litre drum.. dello LE will be marginally more expensive...maybe $10.

Do not be fooled.....or worried about the low price....this is what the big fleets run.

Castrol may have a compatable grade.....I do not believe it will be as good or as good value as the top 3 but it wont be shabby either....remember..it is the oil spec that matters not the claims on the lable.

Again buy where the truckies buy.

Your local diesel spares shop or your local fuel depot.....these guys will give you a better product at a better price than the retail parts shops.

While you are at the diesel parts shop...buy your filters there too.

That filter in your 4WD...it will be used in some sort of truck...and there will be a good brand like sakura, feet guard, or donaldson..that you will pay less for and get a better filter than the retail past shops will stock.

OH...all the major diesel spec oils are also multifleet oils too...they will spec up very well in petrol engine applications...and absolutely spank most retail packaged petrol engine oils spec for spec.

cheers
AnswerID: 530655

Follow Up By: hazo - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:49

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:49
Thanks for that mate, I have found a Caltex truck outlet not too far from me so will call in today and check out their price of The Delo LE 400.

Will report back here with details later, I can always cancel the Repco order if the price is better.
FollowupID: 813613

Follow Up By: hazo - Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 16:31

Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 16:31
As promised my follow up re the Caltex oil, I managed to get the 20l of Caltex Delo LE 400 for $130.

So saved myself over $85 compared with the repco penrite one.

Must be the LE that brings up the cost as they had the standard Delo on special for $78 for 20l.

At least now I will have enough for two oil changes for that price. I already have the filters.

Thanks again for the assistance.
FollowupID: 813708

Sponsored Links