Television

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 15:59
ThreadID: 107298 Views:2495 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am quite excited and awaiting delivery of a new caravan complete with ensuite..Thought at my age it was about time I gave caravanning a go! Ive got a 2012 Prado and am awaiting manufacture of a Supreme classic 19ft internal tare app 2040. I dont intend to carry water in the tanks unless I will be free camping. Am in the process of buying some bits and pieces in advance ready for use in the van..Any hints on multi use gadgets and general tips appreciated..We dont yet have a lap top but may do so down the track..Presently wondering what is the best TV for use in the van..I will have the latest Winguard antenae..is there any particular TV best suited to freecampiing? I can recall someone said keep your TV under 19". The van will also be fitted with 120w solar panel. Many thanks in advance, Aboutime
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rustynails59 - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 16:23

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 16:23
Congrats on your purchase, I too am new to caravaning and learning new things every day
With regard to tv, I don't know if any brand is better than the other, we have a NEO tv that came with the van. If you do free camping, you might want a satellite system and get
VAST which provides free to air tv in outback- we gave just got it and yes it works. Alternatively you could use a foxtel box from home if you have one
I have an issue with my new van- weights- manufacturer has given next a Tare weight but suspect it hasn't included a few things- will be interesting-,could end up nasty
AnswerID: 530623

Follow Up By: Aboutime - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:56

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 10:56
Thanks Rustynails59 for your reply..I met a man recently who has been caravanning for 8 years and has never stayed at a caravan park! We dont plan to be like that but will try to free camp here and there to ease the budget. He had a satelite system all set up but said he rarely watched TV.
Our issue with a new van weight is you dont really know until you get it how much it will finally weigh with a few extras added.We really need it to be kept under 2100 to allow 400 kg load. Hopefully it will all be fine. I will explore VAST in case we do end up doing some outback areas.. Many thanks again and all the best with your travels.
FollowupID: 813607

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 17:36

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 17:36
I would suggest a 17" Majestic 12V jobby. We had a 14" in our last camper and it was quite good. Came with an in-built DVD player.

Though I must admit in hindsight we didn't watch a lot of TV.
AnswerID: 530628

Follow Up By: Aboutime - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:01

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:01
HI Rosco, Many thanks for your reply..Yep I reckon if you're sitting around watching TV you are not really doing 'the thing'..I agree though an inbuilt DVD sounds good as less cords and buttons to worry about! All the best with your travels..I cant wait to get away from some of our Victorian winters, Thanks again Aboutime
FollowupID: 813608

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 17:50

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 17:50
Hi,
Welcome to caravanning.
I have a 22'' Kogan which is 12v DVD included HDMI etc cost about $170.00 delivered very happy with it. Had a Kogan 19" for a few years also without problem now used as a monitor on an old PC.
Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 530630

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 07:22

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 07:22
I also have a Kogan, It has worked a treat bought it online.
FollowupID: 813597

Follow Up By: Aboutime - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:02

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:02
Many thanks for the heads up on Kogan. I will look into their online options, Happy caravanning, Aboutime
FollowupID: 813609

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:08

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 19:08
What ever you get, make sure it has what is called an "M-Peg 4 tuner", because a lot of TV's that have anything smaller will not pick up a weak signal. We had a cheap tv in our last van and found that we still needed the set top box to work the digital tv in some places.
AnswerID: 530640

Follow Up By: Aboutime - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:06

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:06
Hi Rosss, Thanks for the tip..I will find out what and M-Peg 4 tuner is and make sure the TV we buy has got one! We have a Telstra T box on one of our TVs at home and at times it drives you nuts. Thanks again for replying,Regards Aboutime
FollowupID: 813610

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 20:56

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 20:56
The MPEG4 tuner has not a thing to do with reception sensitivity or qualitynon normal terestrial services..

None of the terestrial TV stations transmit MPEG4 signals and there are no plans to do so in the forseable future.

I need to know this for work...I have asked.

All the satilite TV broadcasters will however all be going over the MPEG4 transmission in the near future if they have not already done so.

MPEG4 is a system of encoding and and the MPEG4 processing in the TV is applied way after the reception stages of the TV.

For example SKY channel abandoned analoge tranmission late last year and currently transmit their services in MPEG3 but have put all their users on notice that they will be transfering to MPEG4 in the future.

While none of you will have SKY channel ( appart from maybe sky world, which is a different thing)..it is an indicator of how satilite TV will go.

Most new TVs will be MPEG4 compatable..although there may still be some that are not.

If the TV is labeled as "freeview compliant" it will be mpeg4 compatable.

Cheers
FollowupID: 813648

Reply By: The Ferret - Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 23:23

Tuesday, Apr 15, 2014 at 23:23
We ordered a Supreme at the WA Caravan Show last month. Estimated delivery is mid-August. .Like you we are also very excited. It came with a TEAC 21” and had a built in DVD player Model LEV2292FHD. I had trouble seeing the small screen so we upgraded to a 29” High definition LED/LCD DVD Combo TV with USB recording LEV29G75HD. Both are 12v/240v and suitable for caravans. Seen them as low as $282 on line. Not that we will be watching that much TV. TEAC have been around for a long time and considered to be a budget range.
Been having a great time buying bits and pieces at The Reject Store, Big W and K-Mart. Can’t wait to take delivery of our van. Really hope you enjoy yours.
AnswerID: 530657

Follow Up By: Aboutime - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:22

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 11:22
Hi, Many thanks for your reply. Our Supreme didnt come with a TV included just the holding arm. It was interesting what a previous member said about having a TV with M-Peg 4 tuner which enables the TV to pick up weak signals..I'll check and see if the TEAC has one. A 29" TV would be amazing but I think it would be a bit too large for our 19ft van.
Thanks also for reminding me that K-Mart and a few other stores have a pretty good camping section. I reckon their prices would be more competative than your general camping and outdoors shops on some items. Would love to go over to WA one day but will do some shorts runs first to get things sorted out. All the best with your future travels, Aboutime
FollowupID: 813612

Reply By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:18

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:18
a while a go a member on here who had a fair bit of experience in using tvs in vans (I think for exploration base vans)
siad name brand wasnt necc the best for outright robustness with some of the cheaper brands still using less efficient but tougher older technology

pretty sure he recomended chanchong which i think is the old goldstar.
usually seen in JB HIFI
AnswerID: 530676

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 21:23

Wednesday, Apr 16, 2014 at 21:23
Most of the current small TVs will be 12 volt native running off some sort of plug pack or AC adaptor.

I have a 17 inch Kogan I carry as a test TV.....it seems to be a pretty fair thing....I've had it a bit over a year now & It is not MPEG4 compatable.
I know because it does not decode the MPEG4 signals in the venuse I work in.
I have seen near identical TVs with the Dick Smith and Teac brands stamped upon them.

Do not be particularly concerned about the brand.
The venues I work in have hundreds (serioulsy) of TVs of all shapes and sizes.

Some of the lower status brands seem to cop the quite poor conditions better than a few of the upmarket brands.

We have a lot of TCL...ranging from old CRTs to the latest 50 inch LCDs....considering what these things go thru they stand up pretty well.
I've seen a bit of Kogan....the bigger kogans are fine as long as they are handled carefully and not moved arround a lot...they arent mechanically strong in the bigger sets.

There is a bit of Conia, Hisence, GVA and NuTec and similar brands arround....we have had a fairly good run from these brands....they are all different badges on the same tellies.

One client has just baught a few dozen of the little 17 or 19 inch samsungs...these seem to be a pretty nice little telly..particularly for the money..
One of our other clients has a few of them as head end monitors..they must be about 12 months old now...they seem to be doing fine.
In general we have had a good trot out of the various samsungs...they do not seem to be a badge brand item...I believe samsung actually own factories.

We have not had a good run withnthe more recent LGs..although we have no small LG flat screens...we have a batch of 42 inch LCDs and we expect to have a power supply failure in every single one in time.

If I was to buy a 17 or 19 inch flat screen now..Id be tending toward the Samsung

One thing to be certain of in a caravan is to mount the telly well or not at all......vibration will kill these little tellies quick smart...a good firm mount that will not allow the telly to rattle arround.

If ya cant mount it well, transport it face down on the bed..or wrapped in a blanket strapped face don to a flat surface.

hope this helps.
cheers
AnswerID: 530713

Sponsored Links