Caravan movers

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 17, 2014 at 22:24
ThreadID: 107341 Views:3756 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently bought a new caravan mover ( won't name brands)
I was promised it would move a 3500 kg van up a driveway- little or no incline
Stupid thing could not budge it- initially it was a hitch problem ( I gave an off road hyland hitch) , then when that was fixed still no luck
Has anyone ad similar problems
I have returned the mover and recieved pretty much full refund
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 08:03

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 08:03
At 3500kg the only type that I think will work is the ones that actually drive against the tyres e.g. Purple Line http://www.purpleline.com.au/

Make certain that you go for the heavy duty unit in the 4 wheel version. Anything that uses the tow hitch is not going to work.

I would also recommend that you have a decent size battery and make certain the wiring is heavy enough to carry the required current.
AnswerID: 530779

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 08:11

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 08:11
Ditto to Kazza's comments
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 813744

Reply By: The Bantam - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 09:18

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 09:18
Once you are trying to move 3.5 tonnes....the difference between dead flat and "little or no incline" can make a great deal of difference.

this fork lift is not rated to lift, carry or move 3.5 tonnes http://www.crown.com/au/forklifts/counterbalanced-trucks-fc-4500-index.html

Serioulsy 3.5 tonnes is a lot of weight.

cheers
AnswerID: 530781

Reply By: B1B2 - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 16:20

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 16:20
Rusty,
I have a AW3 Aussie wheel mover for my 3 tonne tandem van. I connected it using the jockey wheel post. The van is parked in my drive, and if a car parks across the road, I don't have enough room to get it out with the car. (someone parked there for 2 weeks while on holiday :-( ). It has been really useful and has some power. If it is wet it does slip a bit. I put a plank over the gutter so that it is a good level tow. It also towed my Brthr in law's 8ft wide tandem van out, and twisted the jockey post mount doing it. I run it out clear of the gate then turn it gently on the bitumen. It hasn't let me down yet.
Connecting to the ball for me, would be a problem as it would tend to rotate around it and the post is more rigid..
I didn't want the wheel driven one, as it reduced the under van clearance.

Good luck

Bill
AnswerID: 530805

Reply By: Rustynails59 - Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 17:28

Friday, Apr 18, 2014 at 17:28
Thanks for the replys
I pulled down part of the fence to allow better access- will do away with caravan movers for time being
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 530813

Follow Up By: Member - string - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:06

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:06
Some time ago a kind person on this site,suggested using a ride on tractor (mower) in difficult situations such as yours, and that advice has been a Godsend to us. With it I can pull the van out of it's (slightly down hill) parking spot,to where I can pick it up with the ute, using the safey chains to tow with.
To get the van back,I use a ratchet jockey wheel. Maby you can tow up ?
Hope this may help.
string
FollowupID: 813922

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)