Fuel on the Canning

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:29
ThreadID: 107381 Views:3104 Replies:6 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I have seen here earlier that the fuel dump on the canning ( well 23) was no longer available. This is not true: just ordered a delivery. cost is currently $2.97 a ltr, as compared as I understand it from the nearby community at $4.00, if it is available. Contact the outback travel centres at 08 9175 1535 and ask for bulk fuel.

Another snippet of info, unrelated. In my trip planning I have discovered that the permit for the kidson track is free this year but wont be next year. also the bottom end of the kidson ( the telfer mine road end) may be subject to a separate permit which may also cost.
Seems like the locals have found a way to make money.

Loafer
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greg l2 - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:39

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:39
is there a difference between saving money and making money , sorry but i would favour the local bloke all week long, want a special go to woolies
AnswerID: 530938

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:46

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:46
I do try to support the locals but would you not call Capricorn Roadhouse a local?

We topped up there and the guy there was not pleasant - "I'm not here to be social just fill up, pay and go" so try not to support people like that, and I am not the only one that met with that response either.

cheers
FollowupID: 813917

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:54

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 18:54
I too always support the locals. However, when I rang the community, the response was. We only get x amount of litres per month. the first priority is the generator and locals, visitors are welcome if there is fuel available but could not give me a high surety of availability, hence the decision for the fuel drop. I know there is also the possibility of theft from the drop but that is a risk I am prepared to take .

best regards
FollowupID: 813918

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:00

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:00
Was the guys name Graham?

We had no problems with theft, although there was a pump there it was full of bleep as someone left it stored in the dirt so best idea is to take you own, remember to leave a few litres in the bottom as you don't want to suck up the rubbish on the bottom - better still if you can filter it as you pour it in.

cheers
FollowupID: 813919

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:06

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:06
Cant remember the guys name.

Yes we will be able to decant and will have a mr funnel? funnel to take out water and other foreign objects.

regards
FollowupID: 813923

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:12

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:12
Hi Alan,

This is great news for Canning travellers. There had been a decision made by Capricorn in Newman not to service Well 23 Fuel dump this year and I for one am glad it has been reversed.

From personal experience, the site is the subject of periodic pilfering. We arrived in 2012 to find our drums present but many other travellers not so fortunate. There are two things I would recommend.

1. Carry a “Mr Funnel “ fuel filter with you as Kurt, the Austrian back-packer paid bugger all an hour while working at Newman, is not that keen on checking the internal conditions of the drums before filling. He won’t ask a question if they take 235 litres instead of 240 simply because the 5 litres of water and sludge in the bottom takes it up to the appropriate level. This is death to modern common rail diesel and would have been my personal experience had it not been for my "Mr Funnel” filter.

2. Do not arrive at Capricorn running on vapor. Should your fuel be stolen you are in an awful predicament and one not easily rectified. My advice is to make sure you arrive with enough in reserve for a further 200 km. This will at least get you to Parrngurr (Cotton Creek) to fill up which is a better option than spending a lot of time on a sat phone and waiting a week or more for replacement fuel to arrive from Newman (which you may well have to pay for as you have signed your order form under “all care and no responsibility”).

These are the core risks of using the Well 23 fuel dump and you need to be aware of them. Having highlighted them, I hope you do not find yourself in that situation and you have a fantastic run down the Canning. It is a magnificent journey.

The video highlights our journey and a the issues facing others when we were at Well 23.

Cheers and safe travels

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 530943

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:16

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:16
Sorry Alan, we must have been typing at the same time. I see you are carrying a Mr Funnel. A wise move.

Cheers Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813925

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:28

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:28
Thanks for the info Mick O,

We are not travelling the canning- done that before. We are coming up from the great central along the david Carnegie and Gary to windy corner then across the talawana track ,then up through the Rudall River National Park through to Marble Bar. Along haul. We will ensure plenty of fuel left when we get to well 23 though. just in case.

Alan
FollowupID: 813926

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:36

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:36
A fantastic trip you have planned Alan. The DCR is a great run although a bit slow these days. It has suffered a lot of damage over the past years from rain. The Talawana is a great run and doesn’t see much use compared to the other “iconic” outback tacks (which is good for you). The camels using it keep the corrugations down lol. Ahh Rudall, I mean Karlamilyi. Only the second time since 2006 that I won’t be visiting. I’ll look forward to hearing how you found Tjarra Pool and DQB. Are you going out the back way through Hanging Rock, Tchardine Pool and Bocrabbie to the Oakover and then North to Woodie Woodie or straight thru to Telfer? The Rippon Hills Road into Marble Bar from Woodie Woodie is one of my favourite drives. You have a fantastic trip ahead of you.

Safe travels

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813927

Follow Up By: Member - Alan W (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:44

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 19:44
Hi Mick O,
No we are going up through desert queens bath and Xmas Pool.
The xmas pool gives great photo shots and the unique aboriginal art is a must, as well as the rock arch in the same area.
Regards

alan
FollowupID: 813929

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 20:34

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 20:34
Gidday Mick

I have been a follower if your blogs with their great pics and videos for years and and am pleased to be able to say that a fortnight from now, all going to plan, I will be sitting by a fire at Desert Queen Baths.

It has taken me a few years to fulfil this ambition and I can hardly wait.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 813936

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 23:03

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 23:03
Cheers Rosco, trust you'll enjoy yourself there. I'll be envious. Hope you'll get the opportunity to puddle around a bit of the park and will enjoy it.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers

Mick
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 813946

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 21:45

Sunday, Apr 20, 2014 at 21:45
Not sure how many others have used this method but here goes anyway.
A good mate did the CSR run back in about 1984 and built himself a bolt together trailer that was basically a draw bar, steel framework and a cradle made of wooden beams to carry a 44 gallon (now 205 lt) drum of diesel.
This was carried on an axle with Landcruiser wheels, hubs and bearings. The wheels were Cruiser pattern and had 12.5x15" tyres so good flotation. The springs were only heavy enough to carry about 250 kilos total.
I think the drum was emptied by around well 23 and left there. These were the days before disposable fuel drums so the guy from Capricorn could have had himself an extra drum if he chose.
The trailer unbolted and got stored on a roof rack with the wheels and tyres.
From memory the frame of the trailer less wheels weighed only about 40 or 50 kilos and the wooden cradle was burnt in the campfire.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 530947

Reply By: Gaynor - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 00:22

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 00:22
By the by:

Grumpy Graham is not at Kunawarritji (Well 33) and has not been for about two years.

And the community has a real fuel station with roof and floor and proper pums, not the container and dodgy pump system anymore.

Whilst Graham's manner was very surly, he was actually very nice and thoughtful below his unsociable gruff exterior. Extended me many kindnesses over the years including monitoring my hitchhiking adventures progress on the CSR two years in a row. In 2011 he sent out his son Graham Jnr and the school teacher to Well 36 when they saw from my SPOT track, which they were monitoring, that I walked back from Well 37. Graham thought I had given up rather than the reality - temporary retreat instead of defeat. The water at Well 37 was grey and gruel like and I did not wish to drink it. I was soft in those days.

Very nice and social and very pleasant to yarn with Bill Johnson has replaced him. This guy really cares and extended some appreciated assistance to many travellers last year.

His lovely wife Raelene Johnson runs the store and she really is nice too.

Both of them took very good care of the many foot powered travellers last year - gave me free accommodation at the communities motel for 4 days and did the same for Pam, I believe. They also gave refuge to Tony, Pam's driver and to Eddie from France who was cycling from Alice Springs to Perth, but the boys got the abandoned houses - and were very grateful as it was raining and very cold.

There is improvement. :-)
AnswerID: 530951

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 00:24

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 00:24
those 'pums' would be 'pumps'
FollowupID: 813948

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 08:57

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 08:57
What is the fuel availability like at Bililuna?

We will be driving from Alice Springs to Bililuna and then heading south on the Canning. I am not keen on continuing to Halls Creek (168kms) for fuel and then coming back to the CSR. But if needed then so-be-it.

Fuel at Bililuna appears critical as we won't have enough to get from Alice to Kunawaratjii. I can carry 255 litres. There will be four cars in our group. 250kms to Kunawaratjii and another 260 to Capricorn dump and maybe another 100kms to Parrngurr.

I think one car uses unleaded. The others are diesel.

Any comments?

Phil
AnswerID: 530954

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 14:20

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 14:20
Fuel was OK at Billiluna back in 2012, we had to wait for the pump to reopen as we got there a couple of minute after they had closed so had lunch and a look around the pump area. The chap there was looking to get out so possibly it won't be him there but someone else.

From memory I think it opens at 10am and closes at 12 then reopens at 2pm til 4pm.

cheers
FollowupID: 813970

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:01

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:01
Any worry with them running out? I do intend to call from Alice but would like to be prepared.

Thanks Cookie

Phil
FollowupID: 813973

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:26

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:26
It was quite a big tank and I would suggest that travellers are merely topping up before heading down or coming up

cheers
FollowupID: 813975

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:55

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:55
That was the idea. Fill up at Alice and again at Billiluna.

Thanks mate

Phil
FollowupID: 813977

Reply By: lizard - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:44

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:44
Fuel at Billiluna is not a problem , providing store is open - suggest phone ahead & advise of fuel needs
AnswerID: 530961

Sponsored Links