Route suggestions Jindabyne to Omeo

Submitted: Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 13:05
ThreadID: 107387 Views:2840 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again, I'm hoping to get some route suggestions for our travel to meet our group at Omeo on Anzac Day. We hope to bush camp somewhere south of Jindabyne on the Snowy river, then continue on to Omeo the next day. We will be towing our camper and travelling alone, so don't want to do seriously difficult 4wd tracks, so we are looking more for the scenic route, maybe via gravel roads without serious low range work. Thanks again, Lisa
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 13:54

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 13:54
OPtion 1: Mainly dirt road.
Omeo to Benambra the tirn right and take the Beloka Road to Beloka gap (Geo: 36.899073 S, 147.813009 E). At Beloka Gap turn east onto Limesetone Road (an excellent easy grade 1 or 2 dirt road) and follow it all the way to the Snowy Mountaing Road at a locality called Black Mountain (Geo: 37.013361 S, 148.275886 E). Turn north on Snowy River Road – Barry Way to Jindabyne. Take care on the Snowy River Road as the gravel can be quite loose and slippery even in the dry.

No time to stop for elongated formal afternoon teas with the Royals, but it beats the bitumen which could be longer in time. Start early to easy the time issue. No need to race.

I suggest the Hema - High Country Victoria – East sheet for this option

Option 2: Mainly bitumen.
Another way using some bitumen is to go north through Benambra following the Benambra Road to Colac Colac and turn East towards Corryong. Go through Corryiong and turn right onto the Valley Highway 6 Kms past Corryong. Fifteen (15) Kms along the Valley Highway turn right onto the Alpine Way towards Khankoban. The Alpine Way will take you all the way to Jindabyne.

I suggest the Hema - High Country Victoria – East sheet and you will need the Topo 250 map of Australia. But you shouldn’t need a map for option 2. Most is well signposted. Benambra Raod is about half dirt. The East Sheet shows where the dirt is. The rest is bitumen but TWISTY!!!

Phil
AnswerID: 530968

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:19

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:19
I went in the wrong direction. I am sure that you are capable of reversing my options.

Phil
FollowupID: 813974

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:09

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 19:09
Phil, is that the road through Suggan Buggan? If so then I second that choice. I did it late last year and thought the scenery was excellent. Pretty easy dirt roads for most of the way but towing in the mountains above Suggan Buggan can get hairy as it is very narrow and a steep drop off the edge.
FollowupID: 813980

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 20:31

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 20:31
Yep That's the one Mike. Only I wouldn't say that it is narrow. But look out for the deep drain on the "uphill" side. It drew us in at only 40KPH and that cost $14K to fix. That's the left hand side if driving north.

That's why I said "Take care on the Snowy River Road as the gravel can be quite loose and slippery even in the dry."

We normally use it to go to or come home from the Macdarlan Track and Cobberas area. I have only been south of that intersection once and to tell you the truth I can't recall what it was like.

Phil
FollowupID: 813995

Reply By: John and Regina M - Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:35

Monday, Apr 21, 2014 at 15:35
I'd go by road.
AnswerID: 530971

Sponsored Links