Engel 60 Combi

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 22:32
ThreadID: 10739 Views:1542 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Forumites.
Does anyone run one of the new Engel 60 Combi and if so what power consumption are you getting -on average ?
Specs say variable from 0.5 - 4.5 amps but what is it in real case scenario?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:13

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:13
Hi Macca
I bought one just before xmas and it's first trip was to the Flinders Ranges - Innaminca - Birdsville and areas there abouts during the month of January.
Temps into the 50's. Bloody hot.

I have not checked the actual amps drawn but during this trip the unit was run as designed fridge/freezer combination and I must say worked real good the ice cream stayed frozen during these high temps and the coke was icy cold in the fridge half.

Both sides of the unit were full to the top almost all the time so it was running constantly to keep things frozen.
The longest time I had the unit running of the second battery without starting the car to charge anything was about 16 hours.
Battery voltage dropped from 12.6 to about 11.9 volts by my old multi meter.
Your next question will be what is the size of my duel battery, The answer is bugger it if I know of the top of my head and it's now to late to go outside and look so I will have to look tommorrow and let you know.

If someone can enlighten a basic user of the multi meter like me as to how I can measure amps I will check it next time I use it (in a couple of weeks) and let you know.

Regards
John
AnswerID: 47821

Follow Up By: macca - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:04

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:04
Hi John,
Thanks for that info, so your duel battery would have been down to about 30% charged. The info is a start to what I'm after, so maybe one of the leccy experts can further enlighten us.
FollowupID: 309775

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 17:42

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 17:42
John can you do a trip with us if you bring ice cream.

Heres hopingCape York Connections
FollowupID: 309833

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 21:01

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 21:01
Gday
To measure amps, you first need to make sure the multi can cope with what is being drawn, so if the fridge maxes out at 4.5a and is on a dedicated circuit (without a hf or anything else connected down stream) and the multimeter can measure 5 amps or more, you turn the knob to amps and take out the inline fuse you have installed, and put one lead in each side of the fuse holder and get someone to turn the fridge on. This should be ok on a circuit that is not experiancing fuses blowing at the time you decide to test it.
Keep in mind that the fridge doesnt run 100% of the time, so if it uses 5 amps for 30 minutes of running per hour, the battery will be depleted by 2.5 amp/hours.
Also, if your aux is 12.6v full ,it is not getting enough charge or one of your batteries is on its way out. did you measure the voltage with the motor running at all? 12.6 is a little low for a full aux, it should be 12.7 minimum, and with motor running 13.6 minimum up to 14.6 max.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 47940

Follow Up By: macca - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:00

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:00
Thanks dozer, I think I know what your on about. I'll have to go out to the wagon and have a play with it to see what happens.. Maybe just zap myself trying :-)
FollowupID: 309907

Sponsored Links