Roof Topper Tinnie - Self Loading

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2004 at 23:26
ThreadID: 10742 Views:8001 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if anyone has made up a system for pulling a 3.7m tinnie onto the roof of their 4by. Being a single bloke I don't often have travelling companions to help take the boat off and put it back on and usually have to ask someone politely for a hand. This is alright at a popular spot but not when your in the middle of the boonies, on your own. I don't want any commercially made thing cause they cost to much and I like to make everything myself. I have a landcruiser ute with steel frame canopy, bullbar and winch. I was thinking of putting a couple of rollers in place but was wondering if anyone has attempted this before. Any help would be great.

Fish quiver when they hear my name!!
Hughesy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 00:24

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 00:24
the theory of a a frame on the bullbar to use your winch to load the tinny could be fruitful for load on not sure about off though .
a while ago i seen a hand winch slide on /off job but the guy/person sorry assuming here , wasnt around to ask but the boat loader looked like a slide to rear and wind up and down type of setup.

probably a company made jobbie but looked good on that gq.

have you tried fishnet?1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 47808

Follow Up By: Bundyman - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:24

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:24
Thanks Toonfish, your right about the off loading, but atleast you have gravity working with ya. I have a few ideas up my sleeve but just thought someone might have taken the guess work out of it for me.

Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 309767

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 15:51

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 15:51
yea I agree with toon, 2 rollers on the back, and a rope on a tree! Reverse the car, up it goes.. Winch cable is another option if you want a groove in the bonnet ;)
FollowupID: 309821

Reply By: V8troopie - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:09

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 02:09
My 4WD is a troopie, the roof rack is way too high up to lift a boat up there.
I have a nesting dinghy ( 2 halves that nest one into the other - making a 10' dinghy only 5' long). While the halves are light enough to manhandle single handed it is still difficult to get the thing loaded up there.
So I made a trolley on which the dinghy rests upside down ( this also serves to move it to the water). The trolley looks a little like a fridge trolley with rather long and extendable handles.
On the toof rack are two galv. channels, spaced to provide tracks for the trolley wheels. They have small rollers at the rearmost end, the rollers overhanging the back of the car.
To load it, the dighy, strapped to the trolley is lifted up from the wheel end and, when vertical, 'walked' to the rear of the car so the trolley wheels rest in the channels, the trolley frame on the rollers.
Its just a matter of lifting it up and shoving forward as the trolley wheels run in the track. I fitted a simple home made winch to the extended trolley frame to make the initial lifting easier, a winch rope hooks to the rear of the roof rack.
Lowering is the reverse procedure.
The dinghy and trolley would amount to about 60kg in total.
This works for me, I have seen more clever solutions for camper trailers but they were not as high as my troopie.
Klaus
AnswerID: 47820

Follow Up By: Bundyman - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:22

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 04:22
Klaus,

The idea with the channels and wheels sounds like a good idea for guiding it into position as it goes onto the roof and I think I'll use that. The biggest problem with mine is that it weighs 75kg empty and just trying to get the end of the boat up against the back is arkward and hard. I was thinking along the lines of putting the back of the boat up against the rear of the tray (bottom side down) then bringing the winch cable across the top of the canopy (roller on the bullbar, and canopy where the cable will touch) and connect this to the front of the tinnie. The winch will then pull the boat into an upright position (against the back of the ute.....and then hopefully up and onto the roof??!! Getting it off will require a bit of manhandling to start with but would just be the reverse.

I think it will be one of those suck-it and see jobs. Thanks for the help anyway.

Cheers,
Hughesy
FollowupID: 309766

Reply By: Brett - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:00

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:00
I tink Rhino have a product which seems pretty good. I think I saw it at a 4x4 show a couple of years ago.
AnswerID: 47831

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:52

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:52
www.roofrack.com.au/___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Yarn - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 15:25

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 15:25
The Rhino Rack system is a good one, have a look at www.rhinorack.com.au
It might give you some ideas.
Cheers
Yarn
AnswerID: 47887

Reply By: CT - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:46

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 14:46
Hughesy,
I have the same car and the same problem!
If you do some searching on the Rhino boatloader site (as someone else provided), you'll find a copy of the installation instructions. With a little bit of thought, they make a pretty good guide to construction as well! I've got my alloy tube, but haven't started on the creation yet.

If you get stuck finding the instructions, shoot me a reply and I'll snail mail you a set.

Cheers
Craig
AnswerID: 48213

Reply By: Robert from Sandy Hollow Machining - Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:46

Thursday, Feb 26, 2004 at 20:46
try looking at the SAMPSON loader made near Ballina its a good oneSandy Hollow Machining
AnswerID: 48259

Sponsored Links