Bourke to Wilcannia NSW

OK, I'm looking at a map showing two dirt roads between Bourke and Wilcannia. I'll be heading west. Can anyone give me some more info on these roads (which one to take) etc. Any camp site recommendations for an overnight stop on this route?

I'll be driving a 4Wd Hilux towing a camper trailer, but not keen on a hard route as I don't have much recovery gear with me and need to make good time.

Thanks.
Jos
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sidetracked - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 17:25

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 17:25
Travelled through there in February , East road from Bourke to Louth was a bit rough 40-50 Klms an hour from Louth to Wilcannia we travelled the West Road was in pretty good condition some spots got up to 80Klms. Just watch the Cattle Grids you have to virtually stop on approach.
We did it towing a 21ft Bushtracker great trip, Willcannia was the dearest fuel $174.8 would not stop there over night. Good spot for stay is further down at Kallara Station.
AnswerID: 531078

Follow Up By: Jos - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 18:40

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 18:40
Thank you. Very much appreciate the info.
FollowupID: 814091

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 20:43

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 20:43
Best place to fuel up in Wilcannia is at the BP depot in the back street alongside the Darling.

Drive south past the Police station, second street on the left.

Nice Lady and polite service as well.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 814105

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 22:25

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 22:25
We did the trip last year. I agree watch the cattle grids and the dips/floodways.

Wilcannia has a new caravan park that has top class amenities and you can choose park or bush camping. We had a great time there. We also stayed at Kallara and Trilby stations, different in what they offered but had a great time at both. We used the West side to Louth and then the east side from Louth to Bourke and took it easy.
BT50 towing a 14 foot Goldstream explorer.

You can check our blog by searching under our name in blogs.

As has been said check the weather as the shires close the roads if it rains to much, its not so much getting bogged they worry about its the damage to the roads so they close them quickly.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 814116

Follow Up By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 22:26

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 22:26
Forg to to mention the park at Wilcannia is called Warrawong and its south of the town about 3 or so Kms out.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 814117

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 21:02

Wednesday, Apr 23, 2014 at 21:02
Not one to take if wet Jos so watch the weather. No closures showing at present but it was a few weeks ago. If dry it is a relatively easy dirt road, and although have only been on the southern side, I understand both sides are similar.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 531092

Reply By: Grant Tas - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 00:33

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 00:33
Hi Jos, We travelled that road last October. Take the road to Cobar and turn right about 6 kms out of Bourke sign posted to Louth. When at Louth turn right at the bridge for a free camping site on the river.( Good spot) The next free camp site is at Tilpa dam nothing there only plenty of flies. We drove through Wilcannia going to Broken Hill there is good rest area about 100 kms before the BH called Spring Hill rest area.
The when we travelled the Bourke to Wilcannia was a pleasant dirt road drive.
We have Landcruiser 100 and a 21' Royal Flair off road and had no problems at all
Cheers
Grant
AnswerID: 531101

Reply By: Penchy - Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 09:13

Monday, Apr 28, 2014 at 09:13
I did both these roads at Easter. Bourke to Wilcannia on the East side of the Darling first, camped at Gundabooka NP, then the west side next day, camped on the river just north of Tilpa. East side road condition is much better than the west, but both are still easily drivable - in the dry (both are closed in the wet and it rained over night in Bourke last Sat night). Rubbish about stopping at the cattle grids, some are better than others but are still quite good. If you dont like dust or flies then dont go as there is heaps of both. And oncoming traffic do not always slow down on the gravel road so I gave everyone plenty of room. Wildlife seems more abumndant on the East side also so keep a camera handy.
AnswerID: 531399

Reply By: Jos - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 13:02

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 13:02
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Wanted to reply earlier, but I've been out of mobile reception/battery.

So, I completed the track. Thought I'd share my experience as it may help someone in the future.

Travelled the dirt road from Bourke to Wilcannia, stopping overnight in Louth. Plenty of free camping spots beside the river on both sides of the bridge. No amenities, but toilets closeby in town. Easy stroll to the pub (Shindy's Inn), which was the highlight of the journey. Very friendly, clean, cold beer and great food.

The road from Bourke to Louth is good in the dry and mainly gravel. The road from Louth to Wilcannia is not as good, but still ok. However, even a tiny amount of rain will make this section of road hard going. The locals describe some sections of it as "black mud" which is very accurate after rain. Deep, slippery mud!

Met many of the friendly locals in Louth. The owner's of Shindy's Inn will happy advise on road conditions and phone through for advice on closures etc after rain. I even met a lovely couple at the start of the dirt road when I was adjusting my tyre pressures. They owned a sheep station between Bourke and Louth, invited us to drop in for a coffee and camp on their property by the river. Lovely country hospitality!
AnswerID: 531471

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 16:58

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 16:58
Sounds good near Louth :)
I considered that when planning a drive to Brissy (from Adelaide) recently.

Did it maybe 6 months ago main road east of the Darling, stayed overnight at Paroo-Darling NP, Horses & Coaches campground http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkCamping.aspx?id=N0175
Site says $5 a night camping, but almost sure the envelopes had $10, ah well, chipped in a bit more if not.

Was very picturesque in there, no water, but good drop toilets.
I'll try Louth next time if I do it again . . . and also there's a more basic 'track' on the other side of the river, supposed to be like wheel ruts in some places, rather than graded secondary road.
Might also be worth a look next time.
FollowupID: 814490

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 13:21

Tuesday, Apr 29, 2014 at 13:21
Darling River Run - This is where you will get your info from.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 531472

Sponsored Links