Northern Great Sandy Desert in June

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 13:21
ThreadID: 107435 Views:2021 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day,

As part of our annual Kimberley trip I'm heading back to the GSD in June to revisit some favourite spots after spending a few years in that area in the 90's. The Boss and kids have agreed to fly out from Kununurra and let me be free for a couple of weeks!

A new place I'd like to get to is Stone Axe Cave, the plan is to travel south on the Kurlku road and if possible pick up an old seismic line, a new exploration track( I know there's been a bit of work in that neck of the woods recently, or wait until I'm at the appropriate northing and travel east down the corridor between the dunes. If needs be I'm happy to walk a long way to get in.

Has anyone accessed it from this direction in the last couple of years, if so do you have any tips?

Its a beautiful part of the world and I had the fortune of spending a large part of my time there in the 90's being shown the country with one of the Walmatjarri TO's who lived at Kurlku, the old man has since passed away.

Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:36

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 21:36
An interesting place Tony.
Been a few years now since I went there.
Here's a screen grab of my route from Kurlku to the cave.
Good tracks all the way - apart from a particularly muddy area just west of Pandorea1. The last couple of kilometres were along the dune corridor east to the cave.

There was a bottle there with some notes from a group who visited in 1997, and another note pictured here:

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531139

Follow Up By: Tony I - Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 22:32

Thursday, Apr 24, 2014 at 22:32
Thanks Alan, thats very handy info. since my original post i have sourced some coords of cleared gridlines put in 2 yrs ago that will take me within a couple of km's of the cave. I'm also planning on visiting a couple of jila's that the TO showed me in the 90's.
Once again thanks for your notes, it certainly is an interesting area.
FollowupID: 814164

Reply By: Mick T3 - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:03

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:03
Along with Kirk L's "Quality of Life" thread, this thread is what keeps me coming back to this forum.

I'm hoping to get into the seismic lines east of Yagga Yagga, near Lake Hevern, but am unsure about the condition of the seismic lines. They were mostly laid down in the 1980's, but my Kukatja contact in Balgo says they may be upgraded plenty soon.

If anyone has any information about these seismic lines and could enlighten me I would be long term appreciative. My email is wirrimanu@aol.com
AnswerID: 531256

Sponsored Links