Carnarvon Range Open to the Public in July

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 01:24
ThreadID: 107442 Views:1823 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The Traditional Owners of the areas and The Central Desert Native Title Services have announced that the Carnarvon Range will be open to the public in July 2014.
Could interested folk please advertise to all their friends that the Carnarvon Ranges will be open to tourism for the month of July. Depending on the trial opening, we hope this becomes an annual event.

Information about it and the permit for July is available here;
http://www.carnarvonranges.com.au/

Please copy and paste the link for more info.

There will be Birriliburu Rangers travelling the area and while not doing individual tours with visitors, they know the area well so don't waste an opportunity and ask them for more information. They will also be ecstatic to see your permit if they stop you to say hello, so don't be in the area without one.
Ensure you carry enough water as there is none available in the area.
Please, please, respect the Traditional Owners and the entire Carnarvon Range including it's Flora and Fauna, as it is a very special place. We would love it if in the future, it returns to being open to responsible desert travellers. A lot depends on this trial being successful.
Access to the Carnarvon Range is now only available through Neds Creek Station and from Well 5 which is accessed via the CSR or Granite Peak Station so please respect the owners of these stations and call at the homesteads and obey any signs. If you access Well 5 via the Canning Stock Route you will still need the applicable permit for that section. The southern end of the CSR is particularly eroded and tracks washed out so allow a bit of extra time and take it easy.
There will be a new toilet constructed there by Track Care WA, which is the same as several more along the CSR. These do not contaminate the special area around them, but the waste falls into a tipping trailer, which is towed away from the area and the waste buried at a designated Waste Disposal Site.
Please carry out any rubbish and keep the area as pristine as it is. Do not try to interact with any animals.
If it rains, the access tracks become impassable so check the weather before you leave home. Don't risk becoming stranded out there as station tracks are closed to traffic when wet.
Have a safe and happy trip.

Ben Blomfield
Track Care WA INC.
Coordinator
CSR Projects
0428 914 618
ben.blomfield@iinet.net.au

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:39

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 08:39
That's fantastic news Ben. I'm glad to see that the Traditional Owners are opening up parts of their land to managed access and the opportunities that may bring them (and we outback travellers).

Lets pray that everyone does the right thing, obtains a permit and obeys any rules or restrictions. It would be a tragedy to see such an opportunity lost through careless disregard.

Thanks to you and Track Care as well for the fantastic work you are doing along the Canning. It's never mentioned enough the time, effort and expense you all put in to providing amenities and signage along the route.

My hat's off to you.

Regards and a safe travel season for 2014.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531152

Sponsored Links