79 series bucket seats

Submitted: Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 19:30
ThreadID: 107464 Views:3393 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We finally found some bucket seats for our 79 series landcruiser (2008 workmate) to replace the benchseat. They are out of a troupie and our rails bolted straight onto them.

The drivers seat bolted straight into the cab. The problem has been with the passenger seat. It all lines up (there are holes drilled at the front for the bucket seat) except the back right side. We drilled through looking for the captive nut but couldn't find it. Does anyone know if it should be there? Or is the only option to remover the fuel tank and weld another nut or bar? Is this a big job? Any idea of cost?

We are aware we will need a compliance certificate and I have searched forums but I can't find anyone explaining how they deal with missing captive nut.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:03

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:03
Hi Sarah. You may have to go to the Landcruiser owners on line forum. (LCOOL) You have to join if you're not a member but it is free. Lots of good info on there so they may be able to help. Bob
AnswerID: 531218

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:05

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:05
Click on LCOOL in brackets above and it will go to their link
FollowupID: 814234

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:11

Friday, Apr 25, 2014 at 21:11
Hi Sarah,

When we fitted Stratos suspension bucket seats to our Troopy, the driver's seat bolted straight in but the passenger side came with a steel bar which bolted to the two existing rear captive nuts and had a welded stud which picked up the rail of the Stratos frame. The front of the Stratos frame fitted directly to the existing anchorages.

Perhaps you could fabricate (or get it made) a similar steel bar. It is about 40mm wide, 6mm thick and 300-400mm long.

My Stratos seats were inspected and a compliance plate fitted.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 531220

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 06:58

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 06:58
The nuts were there on the older 75 series. Considering the 79 is made in both right hand drive and left hand drive I would think the captive nut will still be there.

If you measure the right hand side nut position and then transfer it to the passenger side, that is where the nut should be. Note. don't use the runners as a guide as there is a fair amount of play in those runners. Drill a small pilot hole and with a bent piece of wire feel for the edges of the nut underneath. If you have measured properly the pilot hole should be in the centre of the nut. Make sure if you find it, that you are careful when making the hole larger not to damage the thread in the captive nut.
AnswerID: 531238

Sponsored Links