Has any one used the EMS500 Engine Monitoring System.

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 12:00
ThreadID: 107470 Views:1939 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Every one,
I am looking for a good engine monitoring system to install in my Land Cruiser for a trip to the Cape this year.

Something that will keep an eye on the water level and temp.
As well as the transmission temperature when towing my trailer.

Found this one on the web:
EMS 500 Engine Monitoring System from a company called Engine Safe.

Has any one used the EMS 500 Engine Monitoring System before ?

If so how well dose it work and how easy was it to fit ?

http://enginesafe.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=48fb4e134e695d3d0c1207c021444f52

Also where did you mount the LCD display ?

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 13:10

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 13:10
Sorry, cannot help you with that one, I have the ScanGauge and find it is brilliant, but it will not give you the water level. But I think it does a lot more then the EMS 500? As an example, the ScanGuage will also give you faults codes and the ability to clear them. Sorry if you already know this. Best of luck. Kevin
AnswerID: 531259

Reply By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 13:59

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 13:59
Hi Jason, I have one fitted in my D-Max view the Blog here

Hopefully the link worked
Cheers, Kanga
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 531263

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 14:47

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 14:47
Great read about the filter set-up. I prefer to listen to people who actually work in an industry and have proof to back up their claims. There are a hell of a lot of people on here that swear their opinions should be the be all and end all of a subject. Its a good idea to qustion opinions as it is a good way to find the truth! I am buying a d-max within the next 12 months and will definitely be going for an after market filtration system to be used in conjunction with the factory fit. Your article was good news to me.
Agree about the 1HZ motor....
FollowupID: 814268

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 15:08

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 15:08
Thanks Bigfish, I hoped that putting both sides of the argument ( before or after the factory filter) in the Blog would be useful to others as well as me in deciding which way to go. Still tweaking suspension parts on the D-Max, that is another Blog on the way. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 814269

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 18:46

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 18:46
Jason E2
I noticed you said you wanted to "keep an eye on the transmission temp".
Is it an auto or manual?
If an auto then a cooler will be the best option to rid the exit line of as much heat as it can before hitting the radiator, so the trans heat doesn't tax the engine cooling system.

If a manual then you won't have much control over it all unless you go easy.
One idea there is to use a handheld digital/laser pointed infrared temp gauge. It will show you the temp of the Gbox if you periodically point it at the gearbox. Good idea to check it and then you know what conditions are likely to give what temps.

Also great for comparing wheel hub temps or dragging brakes, tyre temps, etc.

Can check your own armpit too. "stress meter"
AnswerID: 531279

Follow Up By: Member - Jason E2 - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 20:09

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 20:09
Hi Ross,
It is an auto and in the 100 series the auto transmission cooling line also runs through the side of the car radiator and then out to the small transmission cooler, which I guess helps the box warm up on cold mornings. I am thinking that the Engine Safe unit would be great if it monitors engine coolant temp, water levels, the engine block temp and the Auto Transmission as all 3 seem to be tied in together.
I was having a look through a couple of other posts on these units and I think that one of the new Engine Safe EMS models also comes with a battery voltage function as well.
All the posts seem to be positive so far.
So if it can manage to keep an eye on all these functions, I think it might be worth giving one a ago.

http://enginesafe.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=3
FollowupID: 814280

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 26, 2014 at 20:58
Jason E2
If the exit line runs into the radiator heat exchanger first up, then the heat it is carrying, which is very high temp in some situations, is given to the already hard working radiator water cooling system.
My opinion is, if the exit temp is dissipated to atmosphere before it goes into the rad exchanger then the heat doesn't ADD to the engine cooling system and allows it to have the best cooling reserve possible.

With all the gauges it is good if they have alarm settings so you can spend time watching the road, which is recommended.
FollowupID: 814284

Sponsored Links