Insuring the lot.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:32
ThreadID: 10748 Views:2848 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone assist with insurers. I have a porta bote on the roof rack, an outboard on the towbar, an engel in the back and a partridge in the pear tree..... It's like a lolly shop for thieves. I want to insure all for offroad and are having trouble with the insurance mine field. The porta bote is the stinger. Any help would be apprec.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:52

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:52
Try CGU insurance. They will insure everything thats portable as long as you are not away from your home address for more than 90 consecutive days. That is; portable fridges etc will be covered by contents insurance of your house, I would check to see what your current policy covers.

I cant see the boat being to tricky, if you have a Caravan they will cover any loss that occurs inside a caravan or camper with a few rules.

I know what you are up against, I just went through the process and have the car insured with AAIMI, the camper trailer insured with CGU and our household goods insured by Grace while they are in storage. What a bloody nightmare!!

Good luck.

Peter
AnswerID: 47838

Follow Up By: glenno - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:00

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:00
we are with cgu and maximum insurance for 4wd accesories is one third the value of the insured value of the vehicle .
FollowupID: 309779

Follow Up By: Roachie - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:13

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:13
Blokes,
I do my insurance through TCIS Insurance Brokers (You need to be a member of a 4x4 club &/or the VKS-737 network). They have had me insured with CGU up until now. My 2000 GU Patrol 4.2 T/D is curently insured for $40K and the accessories etc for $18K.
I got my renewal in the mail yesterday. They are recommending I change to Allianz and the monthly premium is reducing from $69- to $58-. Please note however, that these premium figures relate to the fact I have a 60% no claim bonus and I live in a SA country town (presumably a lower risk rating than the cities).
I listed ALL my gear, including, Bullbar, winch, roof rack, ARB fridge, flouro lights, Bow shackles, snatch/winch straps, water gerry cans plus heaps more.....2 pages of stuff.....(which is always in my truck 24/7) and they accepted it no questions.....but I don't have a boat or outboard.
I'd suggest you give TCIS a call....& if you don't belong to a club, maybe you could consider joining one.....there are other benefits too.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 309780

Follow Up By: Member - Anne - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:39

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:39
Isn't this insurance stuff a nightmare? We also used TCIS for our campertrailer, and are insured through CGU. However, we are NOT members of a 4x4 club or VKS-737, and were never asked if we did belong. We found their ad in 4x4 Monthly and just rang them up. No problem.
Happy travelling
Anne
FollowupID: 309792

Follow Up By: Jac - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:09

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:09
Problem is the insurers won't cover the porta boat. Has anyone succeeded with this?
FollowupID: 309838

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:07

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 10:07
If you have your home and contents with NRMA - they will let you add "specified portables" to that policy. This requires you provide a specific description of the goods, maybe even serial numbers or proof of purchase. It adds a chunk to your premium - but worthwhile IMHO. I have my fridge, camping gear, fishing gear, GPS, Camera's etc all added to this policy. It felt expensive at the time - but if any one thing were to be stolen - it would cover the cost of the increase in the premium for many years.

One strange thing was they wouldn't insure my tools unless they were for my trade - just ask them what they will and wont cover.

Cheers
AnswerID: 47841

Reply By: Hatcher - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:42

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:42
Hi Jac,

A little off subject, but how do you rate the Porta Bote? I have been meaning to get myself one of these but as usual other things always get in the way. Are you happy with it, would you recommend them, any problems?

Thanks
AnswerID: 47864

Follow Up By: paul - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 15:41

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 15:41
I'm with jac , checked one out at last year's camping show and so far if i'm gonna get boat the porta bote looks like it for rivers, estuaries and flat water lake and bay stuff. but always keen for opinions, i have extensively trawled the net for stuff and found only minor complaints relating to water coming in over the bow if there is weight there, problem with the standard ores retaining salt water which leaks onto the caravan or 4WD (ie bad) - but solution was just to get oars from your local mariner place.
FollowupID: 309819

Follow Up By: Jac - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:03

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:03
Hatcher,
We love the boat! It's great for creeks. estuaries and dams etc. Took it on Brisbane river and had no problems, felt very safe & stable but if you have to go a long way, she's a bit slow. (5hp Tohatsu short shaft keeps it under licensing regs). As far as water coming in we have had no probs whatsoever. It will just plane with 2 people in it and fly with one. The bottom is like a stiff waterbed, very stable.
With limited space at home it suits us, no trailer to worry about and easy to secure away. We have the 10'8" model and it weighs 25kgs. The bigger model is not worth it, too heavy (weighs 30kgs, hard to lift when made up), unless you want space for crab pots etc and the small motors it takes can't push it along fast enough. If you are going to do river fishing all the time get a tinnie, but if it's for camping/offroad 4-6 times/yr you wouldn't buy anything else.
Cleanings a breeze, just hose it out. The seats and transom are marine ply and tuff. The timber oars break in two and are fine, haven't had a problem. We also have the shade Bimini which gets a lot of use.
Takes 15mins to put together (easy) and 5 mins to pack away. The BOSS and I can carry it easily to waters edge. Current set up has pins for seats not wing nuts (much better and quicker). Tie it down on roof rack, motor on towbar mount and away we go. Throw it in the garage at home. It is extremely tuff.
The Australian distributor is great and very helpful. They should have come down in price with the dollar.
No regrets at all except for the insurance companys scratching their heads trying to work out where the hell it fits in the policy.
FollowupID: 309837

Reply By: Charlie - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:32

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 18:32
I can't help with insurance but with my kayak I rivited a number of stainless steel saddles to each side and paddlock it to the roofracks,maybe thats a partial solution. I glad you like the portabote I'm looking to buy one next year, I've priced them at $1300 US overseas so the ozi price is fairly reasonable once you include transport , the exchange rate and the various tax's we pay.
Charlie
AnswerID: 47916

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 20:12

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2004 at 20:12
Guys if you cant insure a porta bote... imagine how much I have to pay for just 3rd party liability on my steam launch... which I use on average 4 times a year.... but seriously I found the problem of theft of desirable items a rite pain in the wallet & my solution is that i had a sailing friend make up some stainless steel wire lengths with eyes swaged into each end. It's the nice supple stuff and cant be cut with a set of pliers or bolt cutters. I wrap it round, pass it through fridge handles etc and lock the lot together with a padlock. Haven't lost a thing since... even in Willcania. Have you tried the marine insurers for the PB & Motor?
AnswerID: 47931

Sponsored Links